Tree change

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 newphase

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Have you done the tree change thing and did you/have you regretted it or loved the choice?

I am Seriously considering moving from Melbourne to Regional VIC and would like to hear any stories for and against.

My final 2 considerations are Wodonga or Wangarratta....have been researching both. HAve been to both in the past, one more recently than the other....like 25 years more recently lol. Would need to revisit both to make a final decision though. If you lived in either or have lived....feel free to praise or condem. original.gif or just give your 2 cents worth.

original.gif

TIA

#2 applepie83

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Curious OP - what sparked your decision re the tree change? It is something I am hoping to do in the next 12 - 24 months.

Good luck!  biggrin.gif

#3 i-candi

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Love it. We had to move to Sydney but there was no way I'd live in suburbia so we went semi rural.

One huge setback though is kids schooling. The local school isn't great and we couldn't get DS into the local Catholic school as it was full for his year. The high school is a joke so  our kids will go private, DS did have to travel an hour to get to school - the closest Catholic (I grew up Catholic). It didn't work so DS goes to a much closer Anglican high school and it's working perfectly .

After growing up in Perth I suppose I miss the beach, we are too far to go for just a walk but close enough to go for  a trip but we are not beach people. Still I miss just being able to have a walk on the beach.

#4 newphase

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

I- Candi I have looked into the schooling options, treying to cover all bases before I move. I can't just move and work things out when I get there...not that kind of person.

Applepie83 I need a change. I grew up in rural Vic, born and lived in rural NSW for first 7 years prior to VIC.
I am over suburbia. I am over having my Mum (as loving and great as she has been) living in my backyard in a flat and minding my kids all the time because I do shift work. I want to raise my kids my way. My daughter with high functioning Autism needs boundaries and Grandma is soft....but I get she is a grandma, I do not begrudge her anything.

#5 Madnesscraves

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Regret it. It's been really hard. Mind you I have no car so I'm quite isolated. I thought I could do it but I can't. It's sad cos its so beautiful here and peaceful but hard. So moving back to the city in a few years. sad.gif

#6 CountryFeral

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Sort of tree change here.

DP followed me when I moved back to rural Tasmania - he has been a big city urban boy his whole life but has taken to it with gusto.

The problems he faced were to do with work opportunities - very limited.  And finding like minded friends.

If you have never lived in a small town learning that you can't just isolate yourself with 'people like me' is a bit of a learning curve, but after several years now he has embraced the fact that he now has friends of all shapes, sizes and vastly differing life experiences to himself.  (he has, if you will, dug deep and found his inner bogan!)

We do miss the ease and convenience of inner city life and we pine for theatre, good restaurants, live music and high paid work (well he misses high paid work! I have never had high paid work!) and career advancement options.

DP also was going to do his Phd but realised after moving here that the logistics just didn't work out.

But we love our home, we love the peace, the quiet and being surrounded by nature.  He still gets a kick out of the fact that we are 20 mins drive from a National Park where we can nip out and have a picnic tea and almost guarantee we will be the only people there.  He loves going for a swim at the local waterhole on a Friday night and being disturbed only by the birds and the dragonflies.

And he LOVES the fact that behind the rows of buildings on the main street of our little town are paddocks filled with cows!

#7 ThreeLittleLambs

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

I could write Madnesscraves post right now sad.gif

I was all gung ho and ready to get out there and meet new people once I got here but everyone sticks to themselves.

On top of this I don't have a car or licence so am feeling pretty isolated.

Before I came here I had visions of barbecues, going to the pubs and beautiful beaches the place has... but instead dp and I are just bored out of our brains!

Having said that dp and I have agreed to move again to another country town. This time we will be visiting it first to see how the people are. We most certainly won't  be relying on reviews that we read off the internet again either :-/

#8 newphase

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies! original.gif

#9 Foogle

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I echo i-candi's thoughts - semi-rural is great (we live in the same area).  Far enough away but not too far and also Country-Mel's post as well.

Our local water-hole where the kids can swim and canoe is 3 mins down the road and I look over cows and horses everyday from our vista.

Just on a personal note, i-candi, I'm so pleased that the school is working out for your DS.  original.gif

#10 newphase

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Any input re moving and work? Did people get a job first then move, or move then suss out work?

Wangarratta has a population of about 17000
Wodonga 31000, add Albury across the border to that and the area is about 85000 population.

I have looked at some agencies re job ops but as I don't want to move until towards end of this year, just wondering waht to do really. I have never moved like this before. I guess I need a job 1st to afford to live lol

Any input re moving and work? Did people get a job first then move, or move then suss out work?

Wangarratta has a population of about 17000
Wodonga 31000, add Albury across the border to that and the area is about 85000 population.

I have looked at some agencies re job ops but as I don't want to move until towards end of this year, just wondering waht to do really. I have never moved like this before. I guess I need a job 1st to afford to live lol

#11 newphase

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the link Rawr! Having a read now!  original.gif

Thanks Bellygood, you are right, I need a job 1st, cant do it any other way!

Edited by newphase, 28 February 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#12 Indi

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

We moved out of Melbourne in 1995 and would never go back.  We have moved districts 3 times and have now settled on a rural lifestyle property about 15kms from Ballarat.  We made the move here simply for our daughters' education.  Previously we lived in the Macedon Ranges and were not satisfied with any of the secondary options.

Jobs wise - DH as a tradie has found plenty of work.  I however commute to Melbourne as my field of expertise (change management on large business transformations) is not particularly portable.

We think we have the best of both worlds as we have the rural lifestyle with regional city convenience; add first class education and the package is complete.  We have also found it easy to find like-minded friends as the small town mentality doesn't really exist (even though the actual locality in which we live is quite small).

OP, I would lean towards Wodonga over Wangaratta simply because it is larger and can offer more in the way of secondary and tertiary options as well as the probability of better job prospects for you.

#13 i-candi

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Foogle @ 28/02/2013, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I echo i-candi's thoughts - semi-rural is great (we live in the same area).  Far enough away but not too far and also Country-Mel's post as well.

Our local water-hole where the kids can swim and canoe is 3 mins down the road and I look over cows and horses everyday from our vista.

Just on a personal note, i-candi, I'm so pleased that the school is working out for your DS.  original.gif

Foogle he actually doesn't mind going to school now !!!!! very happy original.gif

Do you swim at the water-hole? is it the one that the road goes over? I thought it had warning signs not to swim???. We have a kayak but haven't put it in there. Actually since DH bought it he has only put it in the water a few times and it isn't a cheap kayak grrrr he only wants to fish but has lost his fishing buddy and has lost he desire to fish sad.gif I can't put the kayak on the top of the 4WD as it's too big for me.

#14 Foogle

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

Do you swim at the water-hole? is it the one that the road goes over? I thought it had warning signs not to swim???.

No signs up i-candi.  You can swim there. This is the DP Causeway as it is known. Wollondilly tourism advertise it as a swimming/picnic/canoe launching place. You're not thinking of the other one in Menangle are you?  We've never swum there.

Excellent news re: the school.  Looks like you've found the right fit. original.gif

#15 newphase

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

OP, I would lean towards Wodonga over Wangaratta simply because it is larger and can offer more in the way of secondary and tertiary options as well as the probability of better job prospects for you
Actually Wangarratta, on paper anyway (or online), seem to have some good schools based on my research, but yes the size and job prospect wise, Albury/Wodonga is looking like my choice.  original.gif

#16 Phascogale

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

We did it 12 months ago.  I'm quite happy but I still miss Melbourne.  But it's my friends that I miss more than anything.  We also don't have any family up here.  But it's not as though we got any help in Melbourne so nothing much has changed in that respect.

Albury/Wodonga is much bigger than Wangaratta.  It has pretty much everything (except a NQR but there is the SPC cannery place that's kinda an equivalent but not quite!)

I moved for work and I had work when I moved so all that was lined up.  There are quite a large amount of schools to choose from in the region (Albury/Wodonga), both private and public and there is a reasonable number of jobs (but that comes from being a large regional centre and not just a country town).  Wangaratta will be more limited in this respect and you may need to travel.

I like living on larger property.  We moved from a 600 square metre block to 1.3 acres and love it.  The feeling of space is great.  And the traffic is really good.

The kids are also settled into school so I wouldn't be moving them again to move back.  Albury/Wodonga can be like suburbia in Melbourne, depending on where you live, but there is a more relaxed feeling.

When you decide to move I'd probably suggest that you rent for 6-12 months to get a feel of what area you may like to buy in (if in the market to buy).  There are better and worse suburbs, like anywhere.

#17 madmother

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Oh yeah!

I grew up in the country (NSW), moved to Sydney at 18. Left the city at age 36, moved to country Qld. It is really hard. Be prepared to not make real friends for at least 12 -18 months, and do NOT do what I do and jump in before knowing a bit more about them (harder to hide from psychos in a small town).

BUT overall, for us as a family, and for my boys, it has been the best decision we made.

12 years down the track and we wouldn't be any where else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.