First Triathlon - what to wear

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 *cough*

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Ok, world of EB, come to my rescue once again.

I'm doing my first triathlon on Sunday.

I've no idea what to wear. No interested in a tri suit as I don't want to invest in case I hate tris at this stage.

So I have padded cycle shorts and a plain black rash vest. I was thinking of wear that with just a sports bra.

I have speedos but there is not nearly enough support for the run.

What would you suggest? I don't really have short shorts I could run in but I do have 3/4 length compression pants.

TIA

#2 cordyline

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

I've worn speedo with bike shorts (not padded) over the top of my togs for the swim. I put them on before the swim as i tried getting my bike shorts on after a swim during a practice run and they would stick to my legs and twist due to me still being partially wet.

I put the sports bra over the top for the bike leg with a loose dri fit top over that. No change for the run required.

Good luck. I loved doing sprint triathlons. Great feeling afterwards.

#3 2puzzled

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

I had sports bra under speedo one piece costume, with short bike pants (not padded) for the swim so that only the singlet needs to be pulled on for the cycle and run. Just get some cheapies from target/kmart for this purpose.

The padded pants tend to absorb too much water and are really uncomfy to run in. 3/4 pants even though tight fitting would also cause drag in the water.

Get a gel seat pad for your bike if concerned about seat comfort. Also, get tri race elastic lock laces for your shoes so you can just pull on and go: http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/2211843073...dPriceItemTypes

Have fun - sprint tris are great events original.gif (is it the corporate tri?)

#4 Jo-Anna

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

I wore a lycra-ish nike singlet that had a built in bra with bike shorts for the whole thing first time around until I invested in some 2xu gear (from the outlet). Whatever you wear don't forget to put some Vaseline anywhere that might chafe. I got a nasty one on my inner thigh and under my arm (where your arm rubs against the material) the first time.
Good luck, they are great fun!

#5 *cough*

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

So do you think I can go with sports bra, rash vest and new bike shorts that have no padding, worn through the whole thing?

#6 Golden oldie

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

I did a sprint distance tri recently, and I wore pretty much what you are planning to wear throughout the whole thing, no problems at all original.gif

Enjoy. I think I might be addicted now...

#7 harper_

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (*cough* @ 28/02/2013, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So do you think I can go with sports bra, rash vest and new bike shorts that have no padding, worn through the whole thing?

Is this the womans only tri in Perth (Hillarys)?

What you are wearing is fine. You don't need padded bike pants for a short ride. I guess the only issue is the swim. Is your rashie very tight? If not, you're going to get quite a bit of drag.

And why are you doing a tri if you hate it!?

#8 *cough*

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (harper_ @ 28/02/2013, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this the womans only tri in Perth (Hillarys)?

What you are wearing is fine. You don't need padded bike pants for a short ride. I guess the only issue is the swim. Is your rashie very tight? If not, you're going to get quite a bit of drag.

And why are you doing a tri if you hate it!?

I don't know if I hate it yet - but don't want to invest $$ in case I do hate it.

Yep -its the one at hillarys/whitfords.

The rashie isn't super tight but I was thinking I would tuck it into the shorts? (gonna look so bad!)

Other option is sports bra, speedos for swim with cycle shorts (as I won't get them on wet), cycle in that and then throw on a t-shirt for the run?

#9 harper_

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (*cough* @ 28/02/2013, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if I hate it yet - but don't want to invest $ in case I do hate it.

Yep -its the one at hillarys/whitfords.

The rashie isn't super tight but I was thinking I would tuck it into the shorts? (gonna look so bad!)

Other option is sports bra, speedos for swim with cycle shorts (as I won't get them on wet), cycle in that and then throw on a t-shirt for the run?

Yeah if you're not going to wear a tri suit then change. Swim in speedos and bike shorts, then, ride and run in that or stick a t-shirt on if you want to.

#10 2puzzled

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

me again - wouldn't wear rash shirt for swim unless super tight - anything that is not skin tight tends to billow and drag - really really slows you down. can you get in a pool and try it out before hand? and yes, on the inner upper arms is where my short seams rubbed. vaseline is v good idea.

#11 *cough*

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I did it! Yay! So pumped. Was totally fine in my shorts and speedos. There were so many random outfits.

Thanks for your help ladies!

#12 TinyTeddys

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Well done!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.