Arthritis? Worried.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 treetree

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

So both my knees suddenly swelled up last night, and this morning were incredibly painful. Went to the doctor and he is concerned it may be arthritis. So I had a test, and have to wait a few days for results. I'm really worried! He didn't do the usual "Just to rule it out' type explanation, and he asked numerous times about family history of arthritis.

Anyone with any helpful information? Or just ways to try not to dwell on it over the next few days? I am having a lot of trouble walking, and every now and then one knee just gives out, and I've almost fallen a few times. If I go on the floor I can't get up again. Sitting hurts too. Basically lying still is the only thing I can do without pain or discomfort.  I have two babies to look after all day, a house to clean and the other four will be back from school soon. I'm just useless.  sad.gif

#2 Jenferal

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

I don't know much about arthritis, even though Dad's had it my whole life, as far back as I can recall, but my old boss woke up one morning with a swollen knee. It turns out he had an infection in it, no idea how though. but after a course or 2 of AB's it went down and was ok again.
I wouldn't worry TOO much, but did he offer any form of pain relief, such as Nurofen or anything for the inflammation?

#3 Paddlepop

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Did you have a blood test for Ross River virus and Barmah Forest virus? I replied to your thread yesterday about being unwell and having a messy house. You described that you were sick with swollen glands and a rash. Your symptoms, including the muscle pains and painful joints, all fit these 2 viruses. Links:
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...s_River_disease
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...ah_Forest_virus

My mum had had Barmah Forest and my brother has had Ross River. It sucked majorly for both of them.

Did your doctor order any x-rays of your knees? Otherwise, you need to rest them, ice them to reduce the swelling, elevate to drain the swelling, and possibly get a support or bandage to help reduce the pain in them and give yourself more stability.

Please go easy on yourself until you are feeling well again.

#4 IVL

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Many forms of inflamatory arthritis can cause more than just joint pain when the disease  active. The fatigue is one of the major symptoms, and its not just tired like you need more sleep, its like you have a really bad flu, you cannot get out of bed type tired. I have RA which came on suddenly after the birth of one of my children, one night I woke up and couldn't lift my 3 kg baby out of her cot, my arms were so painful and red hot swelling along most of the joints. I had not been ill previsouly.

It is goo your Dr has ordered blood tests. There are many effective treatment options available. In the meantime, alternate hot or cold packs and take anti-inflamatories or pain releif as I am sure your Dr would prescribe.

Good luck and I hope it is nothing lasting.

#5 treetree

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I'm pretty sure the knees aren't related to the other symptoms I had. Other than that I am just run down and everything is hitting me all at once. I actually managed a rest yesterday and felt so much better, then later that night my leg felt weird and it just escalated. I also don't think the rash is connected to the cold/flu symptoms I had. I think that is an allergy. I'm just falling apart!

The week before was really stressful, and then as soon as that was over, everything just hit me.

Thanks all.

IVL, I am hoping he just says it's bursitis or something when I go back, but as the pain and movement limitations get worse I am getting more and more worried.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.