Greece
Safe for a nearly 3 year old?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ResultsNotTypical

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi everyone

My Mum is being super generous and has offered to take me, DS and Dh, along with my brother on an overseas holiday later this year.

Now we're just trying to figure out a place that suits all of us.

Greece is somewhere I've wanted to see for ages, but I am a little worried that it wouldn't be safe with a 3 year old. The media seems to show a lot of angry protests and closed down airports and so on.

Is this the real picture or would we be ok if we stayed away from the centre of Athens?

Has anyone been recently? What were your impressions? Family friendly? Or do I need to rethink?

Thanks

#2 boatiebabe

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Go to Croatia instead!

Beautiful islands (just like Greece if not better) cheap and at the moment not undergoing a lot of political/social unrest.  biggrin.gif

#3 emlis22

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I went to Athens about 8 months ago and even I didn't feel safe. It was horrible and I couldn't wait to get out of there.

If you stayed in a nice apartment in Santorini or similar though, you would have a wonderful time. It was heaven on earth.

Edited by emlis22, 28 February 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#4 AllyK81

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

If you DO go to Greece, the islands can be family friendly and some of the small villages are just gorgeous.

One day in Athens is seriously enough. Apart from the Acropolis, it's not that pretty and whilst not at all unsafe or violent, it's not the greatest destination in my opinion. The islands are far better. Rhodes is beautiful with all the ruins.

Personally, I would choose a country with a lot to offer where you can travel around easily on trains etc. France, Germany and Italy would all be great picks with a little one in tow.

Have fun!!!

#5 Feral Dinosaurus

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

How long, what do you all like, summer or winter, sporting (skiing) or shopping, eating or cooking, touring or sight seeing...

I haven't been to Greece recently but I find it hard to imagine a tourist (especially a family) being any more unsafe in Athens than any other capital city - especially with the whole EU bail out debacle reaching so many European Countries.

Go to Prague.

Go to norway for me - I've always planned to and never quite made it.

Or Iceland is spanking.

There's also island holidays throughout Asia - something with a kids club or 24 hour nanny service biggrin.gif

I love holidays. I want to go on holidays.

Have fun!

#6 FeralMama1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I only spent a day in Athens whilst on holiday in Greece (and a few hours when I was returning to Australia). The islands are beautiful and would be much more family friendly. I found the people in Athens very rude! Santorini is very safe but would steer clear of Mykonos as it is very party orientated - not many families, mainly singles and Uni students on vacation. It is quite far from Athens, but I flew to Rhodes which is just beautiful. So much history and in my opinion far more family friendly.

#7 qak

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Corfu its gorgeous too, but I think Santorini would be fabulous!

#8 2puzzled

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

If considering Greek islands, Santorini is nice for a romantic trip but for families I would suggest Crete or Rhodes.

Crete has snow capped mountains as well as stunning beaches, and the palace of Knossos in Heraklion is fantastic. Seaside town of Chania is very pretty.

Rhodes has the old/ancient city inside the medieval city fortress, surrounded by the modern Rhodes town. My fave island. Beautiful beaches and lots to do.

Mykonos is nice when it is not high season - not crazy party town in low season (I agree that it is in high season), and very pretty. The ruins on the island of Delos (day trip from Mykonos) are amazing, but overall there was not a huge amount to do there in the low season.

On the Greek Mainland, the monasteries on top of the  cliffs at Meteora are spectacular, and Delphi is well worth the visit too. Athens is a bit crazy, but if you like history is definitely worth a couple of days. I haven't been for 10 years though so can't talk about current conditions.

wherever you go, I hope your family has a wonderful time together. If I carry your bags, can I come too? original.gif

#9 ResultsNotTypical

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Dinosaurus @ 28/02/2013, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long, what do you all like, summer or winter, sporting (skiing) or shopping, eating or cooking, touring or sight seeing...

I haven't been to Greece recently but I find it hard to imagine a tourist (especially a family) being any more unsafe in Athens than any other capital city - especially with the whole EU bail out debacle reaching so many European Countries.

Go to Prague.

Go to norway for me - I've always planned to and never quite made it.

Or Iceland is spanking.

There's also island holidays throughout Asia - something with a kids club or 24 hour nanny service biggrin.gif

I love holidays. I want to go on holidays.

Have fun!

We are hpoing to travel in our spring time, late August or early September, in an effort to avoid too much heat or too much cold. I am gentically predisposed to dislike cold, DH to dislike heat. wink.gif

We are mostly looking to just relax and be somewhere new, really. No specific wish list of things to do. Hopefully a new culture to dip our toes into and some beautiful new places to see and family friendly things to do without huge expense.

You have all been very helpful. i have many things to bring to the planning table now.

Thank you.

#10 gabbigirl

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Athens is yuck, but so many islands and the Peloponnesus are beautiful.  Try Crete..mixture of beaches with history.

Have fun!

#11 Harmonica

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I wouldnt have thought getting to Greece and getting to the islands etc would be the cheapest of holidays - but maybe budget isn't a factor?

If it is mainly to relax and bearing in mind that you have a 3 year old, then do any of the Asian countries take your interest - new cultures and beautiful places to visit? Also a much much shorter flight time for all of you, especially a 3 year old.

#12 wiggles

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm biased as I'm half Greek and I love Greece.  I would fly into Athens and head to the islands. Rhodes is beautiful as is Santorini and Crete. There are so many lovely islands in Greece. There is a part of Athens (in heart of Athens) that is fantastic for shoes!!! I wouldn't know of course  ph34r.gif

Oh how I would love to go back to Greece.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.