The best fish?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 KBM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi there

Im looking for an alternative to the (yuck  sick.gif ) basa that DH keeps buying.  Yes its cheap and, when he cooks it, I like it but I never cook it right and it ends up tasting like dirt.  Plus Ive heard the stories of where it is farmed.. ohmy.gif

Im not a 'fishy' person so strong fish like salmon does not suit.  I just want firm, white fleshed fish fillets that freeze well and can be cooked in a variety of ways.  Also not too pricey!

I have a particular idea in mind (that I saw on a cooking show) where you put herbs and spices, garlic, ginger, chillii etc onto the fish and then just wrap in baking paper and bake.

Any fish suggestions and recipie advice?

#2 intrigued

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'm a huge fan of Barramundi. Wild caught is best. It's often on special for an ok price. And I'd rather have a smaller piece of great tasting fish than eat sth that I don't like. I've steamed, backed, fried, BBQd it and it's always turned out nicely.
Kingfish is nice too but rarely available and pricey.
Agree that Basa is not great..

#3 qak

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Try Ling.

#4 KBM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Are these readily available at supermarkets, I dont have a fishmonger near.

#5 Cranky Kitten

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Snapper, Dory, Barramundi - all good white flesh fish. Favourite with dory is to pan fry with lemon. Simple but delicious.

Mind you, I love fish. Pity you're not into salmon, I have some awesome recipes for it.

#6 Chelara

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

What about Hoki/ blue grenadier? It's cheap and comes from nz or Aus and is boneless.

#7 credence

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

If you want something relatively cheap, how about mulllet?

Otherwise my go-to white flesh fish is always snapper, it's just a bit pricier.

#8 Feral timtam

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I was thinking Hoki too, it's one of the few white fish I like! I buy it frozen from Aldi for $10 a kg and it's a great fish for adding flavours too.
If you have the Aldi cookbook or can borrow one there is a really good recipe for Hoki in there. We have it as a special treat because one of the ingredients is a bit pricey for regular consumption!

#9 CountryFeral

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

If you want cheap and white and easily available get flake.

If you want 'the best white fish' then go for flathead or ling!

#10 CupOfCoffee

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I love nile perch... one of the cheaper types of fish, easy to cook and a really nice flavour.  My husband also eats it (and he doesn't like fish that is too 'fishy'.

(well I really love red snapper...but it is more expensive and more 'fishy' flavoured)

#11 adandtia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I've started buying leatherjacket, or its sometimes called ocean jacket. Cheap as chips and has quite big bones so its easy to eat. They're usually quite small so I wouldn't worry about filleting them.

They are very similar in flavour to snapper but less than half the price and the best part is that they are very sustainable.

#12 Cyaira

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I would try to avoid anything on this list, but that's my personal choice. It's something to think about, though.

Unsustainable fish red list (sorry, includes hoki and flake):
http://www.greenpeace.org/australia/PageFi...redlist0909.pdf

#13 MrsLexiK

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 28/02/2013, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want cheap and white and easily available get flake.

If you want 'the best white fish' then go for flathead or ling!

Yup this. Though for an even better taste throw a rod into the ocean and you will love it even more original.gif

Personally I don't think you can beat dolphine fish (mahi mahi) I have caught and eaten a lot of species and nothing beats a dolphin fish.

Also the green peace article/fact sheet is a tad misleadig. I have been heavily involved in ensuring Australia's fisheries are sustained and also finding that line for rec fisherman and pro fisherman.

#14 Always amazed!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

What about Hoki/ blue grenadier? It's cheap and comes from nz or Aus and is boneless.

Yep we owned a fish and chip shop for over 10 years. It was used for fish cocktails ect.

Nice white, boneless and not a huge fishy taste..!

Shark is great also . Very little-no bones slightly sweet.. mmm yum!

#15 DEVOCEAN

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Dad used to catch huge Mackerel. He would cut them into steaks and BBQ them and just as he took them off, put a dob of lemon & herb butter on them. Beautifull.

#16 noi'mnot

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

I love whiting, and best of all it's sustainable. Look here for more information on sustainable seafood.

#17 kpingitquiet

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

Halibut and cod! But erm, you'd have to order them special from North America biggrin.gif I find Basa usable if you treat it like what it is...a catfish. Fantastic for broiling/grilling, pan-frying, and in fish tacos and seafood chowder.

For baked fish, I prefer salmon, snapper, or trout but really any fish can be baked if you're careful about not overcooking it.

For deep-fried fish, or "oven-fried", we generally go with whiting.

#18 Hootabelles

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Love grilled snapper but mostly eat flat head..kids love them and that what I use to make fish and chips. Breadcrumbed they are so delicious.

#19 Bobbypoppa

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 01/03/2013, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Halibut and cod! But erm, you'd have to order them special from North America biggrin.gif

Cod is quite common in Australia with around 12 different species. Cod is a commonly used in QLD fish and chip shops Ive cought quite a few estuary cod in my time. You can get pacific Halibut in Australia aswell. All good eating fish.

Flat head, whiting and snapper is yummy but not cheap. The reason basa is yuck is because its a fresh water fish and imported from the Mekong river. Im not a fan of any fresh water fish including cat fish, to me it tastes like how a gold fish pond smells.

#20 KBM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Wow, thanks for all replies girls.  Given me something to go on when I go to the shops next.

Thanks!

#21 Allymeg69

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

OP, another thing to do in order to reduce the strong "fishy" taste is to remove the darker often red/brown bloodline that you will find in the fillets, it runs along the midline of the fillets basically in line with where the backbone of the fish would have been.

In some fish it is more pronounced than in others (eg mackeral, snapper, barramundi). You would see that Barra fillets also have a grey/brown coating on the outer side that would have been against the skin, that is basically fat and also retains a stronger taste, often quite muddy in Barra that have been farmed or even wild-caught in rivers not in the open sea.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.