Salmon Sandwiches?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ~Supernova~

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I accidentally bought Atlantic Salmon cured in pastrami spices on my grocery order (was meant to get pastrami). I am making a range of sandwiches for DS's birthday on Saturday, and am wondering what I can do with the salmon? I've never used it, never eaten it...

It will be on rye bread if that helps.

Any advice would be great!

#2 pocketferal

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

In sandwiches or open sandwiches with either avocado or cream cheese.

Ok now I'm hungry biggrin.gif

#3 Ice Queen

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yummmmmmmm.....

I would do open sandwiches.  Bread either side will take away the flavour.

Cream cheese (even better of you mix it with some sour cream and lemon), salmon, slice of avocado as PP said, slice of red onion and a few capers or chives or dill, finish with a small squeeze of lemon.  Cucumber also works well with salmon.

Oh yes....keep them away from the kids......adults only!!  biggrin.gif

#4 ~Supernova~

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Ok great! I have cream cheese, chives, lemon, sour cream and cucumber, so should be able to make something half decent. Here's hoping people actually like them lol

#5 Taystee

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have never heard of salmon cured in pastrami spices- how interesting!!

This link looks really interesting

http://frombellytobacon.com/2012/05/31/salmon-pastrami/

#6 noi'mnot

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Ehill @ 28/02/2013, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yummmmmmmm.....

I would do open sandwiches.  Bread either side will take away the flavour.

Cream cheese (even better of you mix it with some sour cream and lemon), salmon, slice of avocado as PP said, slice of red onion and a few capers or chives or dill, finish with a small squeeze of lemon.  Cucumber also works well with salmon.

Oh yes....keep them away from the kids......adults only!!  biggrin.gif

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Cured Salmon is now going on the list of things for my partner to bring to to the hospital once this baby is born...

#7 ~Supernova~

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Is salmon very fishy tasting? Just wondering if I might even like it myself Tounge1.gif

And that link is helpful too, thank you original.gif

Edited by Mareek, 28 February 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Do you eat smoked salmon at all? When fish is cured/smoked I don't find it very fishy, but then I just love fish so I'm probably not the one to ask! original.gif

#9 Taystee

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Plain cured salmon on rye with cream cheese and chives is delicious, and that's even for me who doesn't really like fish!

With the pastrami cured stuff, I imagine cream cheese would still be lovely!

#10 Ice Queen

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 28/02/2013, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is salmon very fishy tasting? Just wondering if I might even like it my

It depends.  It can be but if it is good quality it should be fairly mild.  It has taken me years to like smoked salmon but now I like the good quality ones.  Cheap ones are awful.  Cured salmon should be ok.

For the spread, soften the cream cheese, then add a bit of sour cream and lemon and then mix (i use hand beaters to get it nice and fluffy).  Keep adding the sour cream and lemon to taste.  You want the sour cream and lemon to give it a nice bite but without losing the cheese flavour.  I would spread the cheese, lay on a slice of cucumber and then artistically lay some salmon on that. Then some chives to garnish.

If you have any gluten free friends do a thick slice of cucumber, cheese spread, salmon and the chives to garnish.  Like canapes!
tongue.gif YUM!

Edited by Ehill, 28 February 2013 - 06:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.