Child Seats in Accident

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Born Three

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hi

Just last week I was trying to get a hi-liner booster, a SnS compact RF and a SnS FF to fit in the back seat of our wagon. I was successful and then less than a week later I've had an accident!

I was rear ended whilst stationary at lights. The car behind says they were travelling at 20km ph. The whole back including the back window on the tail door were badly damaged - glass completely shattered.

Luckily I was alone after having just dropped off my 5 month old with grand ma.

Now there was no internal damage to the car ... Should seats still be replaced?

Thank you

Edited by Born Three, 28 February 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

As the seats were unoccupied I would be less stressed.

I replaced an unoccupied seat, but the seat was at point of impact and the door had intruded the cabin space.

Britax require quite a bit of damage to qualify for crash exchange.

http://www.britax.com.au/customer-service/crash-exchange

#3 eachschoolholidays

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Both NRMA and AAMI only cover to $500, no matter how many car seats you have.  I know because our car was written off a couple of weeks ago and I had to replace two Maxiriders.  I then investigated other insurers but it seems that that is standard.

#4 ~ppp~

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Britax are v helpful and efficient with their crash exchange progrAm. If you do the paperwork and send pictures then they can decide whether they replace it or not (and I was happy for them to be the ones that made the decision). They replaced our unoccupied seat but our crash was a write off so obviously more likely to have damage.
No harm in calling them and submitting the claim. In our case the paperwork took one evening and the new seats arrived within a week. They have had our business ever since (& we have spent a further $700 on seats with them since our crash) as I was just so impressed with their service.

#5 jmaz86

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

depends on the damage and force placed on the seat, but like PP said they were not occupied...however, check with your insurance as they might be covered anyway as part of the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.