Mastitis again - already on antibiotics

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mis84

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I'm not sure what to do..... I'm suffering with my third bout of mastitis in 2.5 months. I'm on day 10 of my antibiotics. Today I started to feel unwell and tired and I have a sore throat and ears, which I always get at the onset of mastitis. Tonight I found a red area which is currently spreading and my boobs, yes both, hurt. My gp told me that if I got worse on the antibiotics that I would need to go to the hospital for iv drugs. I'm really not keen as I know the wait there will be realllllllly long and it's a feral place. I don't know what to do.........

#2 Andrews mum

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

If after 10 days of antibiotics, it's still spreading then please just go to hospital.  Better a day on IV antibiotics than surgery for an abscess.  Poor thing, look after yourself.

#3 fairymagic

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

What antibiotics are you taking? Are you running a temp? Try and get those breasts emptied at every feed - do you have a breast pump to express after the feed if they are still lumpy/full? This will help. If one side if affected, I was advised by the ABA when I had it to offer the affected side to bubs first for a few consecutive feeds as bubs will be more effective at draining the breast - you may need to express off the second side though if bubs doesn't want to go on that side or doesn't "empty" that side.

With my third child (and second bout of mastitis) the Dr I saw advised that he had had women in the past that ended up needing antibiotics basically for the duration of their breastfeeding time. Im not sure how long they breastfed for but every time they completed a course of antibiotics, after a few days the mastitis reoccurred. You may need a double course this time just to make sure the bacteria are gone from the area - it may be that one course of antibiotics isn't enough so that it isnt' clearing up the mastitis completely hence the reoccurence.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

#4 Mis84

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm taking Flucloxacillin. This is the second course. Each pack is only six days worth. No fever, but I never get one when I get mastitis. I just generally feel really unwell. My son is a brilliant feeder and always empties my breasts, so no problem there. I have an oversupply problem, so that doesn't help.

#5 MuddyPuddles

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Would a different antibiotic possibly make a differnce? I had a gp practice prescribe me one type which didnt clear it up and when I saw another GP they told me the type I had been given wasnt particulary effective. The new one prescribed worked.

I would also recommend going to the hospital for now though.

#6 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

I know it's sucky, but you need to get to hospital ASAP. Your son needs a fit mother, and a few days in hospital now may well be much better than letting things get worse.

Good luck OP, let us know how you go.

#7 fairymagic

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Fluclox is generally the drug of choice when treating mastitis but perhaps you need a longer course of it.

The fact that you are feeling unwell makes me suspect you have an infective form of mastitis however, there is a non-infective form of mastitis in which you get no temp. but get the pain, heat and redness at the breast. It is caused by the overproduction of milk and the leeching of the milk from the milk ducts into the surrrounding tissue causing an inflammatory response. With your oversupply (which should settle in time), is it possible it is this type of mastitis and not an infective one in which the antibiotics would be useless anyway? Obviously you are seeing a Dr and he/she thinks antibiotics are worthwhile - this can prevent the non-infective mastitis from becoming an infective mastitis.

I do agree though - if oral antibiotics have no effect on the redness, pain or heat over the area affected after 48 - 72 hours, IV antibiotics may be warranted. It is normally a 24-48 hour stay to get on top of the infection and then you go back onto the oral antibiotics again when you leave hospital. Alternatively, if this bout clears up I would consider going onto a second course straight away just to try and knock off any potential bacteria which may remain in your system.

Provided baby is feeding well and you are generally ok at the moment there is not need to rush of to hospital tonight. I would continue as you are and if you are feeling worse in the morning, go to the GP/Hospital to be seen. You may find that depending on when you started this latest course of antibiotics you may wake feeling a lot better in the am. Keep up your fluids - this will help too.

Edited by fairymagic, 02 March 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#8 Mis84

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

DS is 6 months old. My supply should have settled by now......

I rang Health Direct and they said to be seen tonight. Not so fun when you have a baby asleep....

#9 lucky 2

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you are feeling unwell again.

I'd encourage you to make contact with a health professional for advice as to whether you should go to the Hospital or not.
Your GP has given you advice on what to do if your condition worsened.
If you look at the link below it has contact details for 24 hr phone services in every State and Territory in Australia where you will be able to talk to a health professional (a Registered Nurse) tonight.
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=896134
I hope you feel better soon.

eta, Ah, I see you have contacted Health Direct.
I can imagine you'd not want to wake your baby if possible but it may be necessary.
Considering the limits of this online community (ie unable to give medical advice) please do not rely on advice given on the boards and seek medical advice if it is required.
All the best.

lucky 2

Edited by lucky 2, 02 March 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#10 Bazinga

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Mis84 @ 02/03/2013, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DS is 6 months old. My supply should have settled by now......

I rang Health Direct and they said to be seen tonight. Not so fun when you have a baby asleep....

I always had an oversupply of breastmilk. The Dr said it was hyperlactation. I was constantly getting mastitis.

My GP who was a pead/gyno said never underestimate mastitis. He had a patient go from slightly achy and slightly sore breast with no red mark to on life support the same afternoon  ohmy.gif

Go to the ER get the IV and you'll be better in no time.

#11 fairymagic

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Good luck. Health Direct will er on the side of caution but if you are of course concerned or unwell you should be seen tonight.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

#12 Mis84

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

I ended up going to the hospital. Had iv ab's given and eventually was allowed home at 1.30 so I could be with DS, but had to return at 6.30 to see the surgeon and more iv ab's. The redness went away, so they gave me a referral for an ultrasound as she said she could feel something up the top of my breast.

I had already decided that I want to stop breast feeding when I got this third bout, but am petrified of how I will go weaning DS as I seem to get mastitis so easily. I really don't know what to do......

#13 tick

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Things to try to prevent future attacks:

Echinacea/garlic/zinc/vit C tablets really help I find.  Dose as if you were getting a cold, so a few times a day.  I take them at the first inkling of pain and they usually prevent it from escalating.  Either that or raw garlic cloves if I'm feeling really game, again a clove or two a few times a day.  Straight vitamin C helps too.

Lechithin granules (healthfood isle of supermarket) also work wonders.  It's an emulsifier, and has same effect on breastmilk and thus helps the milk to flow more freely instead of clumping up and blocking things up. A tablespoon or so on my cereal or in a smoothie every day (ongoing) does the trick, up it to two tablespoons if you notice a bit of pain or a blocked duct or whatever.......

Sage tea is brilliant for reducing milk supply.  Many women use it to help with the weaning process but it can also be used if you've got an oversupply and need to bring the milk production back just a bit.  Don't over do it though!

ETA: I should clarify that I used to get mastitis all the time.  I had an over-supply with my DD1 and when DD2 was born it was even worse.  I had mastitis about 3 times in her first few weeks of life and that's when I went on a massive search for alternative treatments/preventatives other than the typical heat pack and massage stuff.  They help too of course ..... Anyway I haven't had mastitis since, it was about six months ago now that I started the above regime.

Edited by tick, 03 March 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#14 lucky 2

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

I had already decided that I want to stop breast feeding when I got this third bout, but am petrified of how I will go weaning DS as I seem to get mastitis so easily. I really don't know what to do......

Slowly, slowly, whatever you do and in consultation with your Drs.
It apparently is best to keep taking milk from the breasts in the middle of an episode of mastitis.
If you want to start the process of suppressing milk production it might help to know that milk production is already naturally reducing because you have areas of breast tissue that are mastitic and swollen and milk production is unable to occur normally at present.
But milk is probably also trapped in the breast as well.
Usually what happens is you continue to remove milk as well as you can, with baby feeding or expressing and do this often.
This can help the recovery of the breast (along with all of the medical care, ie antibiotics, pain-killers, anti-inflammatory medication, rest, fluids and further investigation to check if you have developed a breast abcess u/s).
When your breasts have recoved from this episode you will have a reduced milk production but often you will need to remove milk at frequent enough intervals to remain comfortable but not take enough to push the breasts to boost supply.
It's a fine balance and I hope there is a LC at the hospital that you can see tomorrow to help you and your Drs work towards total (but gradual) milk suppression.
You will get there but there will be a transition period.
I'm sorry to hear you are having such a problem with breast complications, it isn't common to this extent but it certainly happens.
All the best.
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/
Lots of information in this link, of course nothing will replace the care and advice of health professionals (including a LC).
http://www.thewomens.org.au/uploads/downlo...ast_Abscess.pdf
This is medical information but it may be of interest to you, ignore it if it is too technical.

#15 whydoibother

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

I know when I had it a few times the doc told me if after 3 days of antibiotics it was no better to come back as you can get an abscess sad.gif

I had to stop BF my last child as he has an immune thing that made him have to go on a special formula and I used cabbage leaves and only expressed enough to feel comfortable but man it was still a painful process even though I did it over two weeks!

#16 MuddyPuddles

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Good luck OP

#17 Mis84

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (tick @ 03/03/2013, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Things to try to prevent future attacks:

Echinacea/garlic/zinc/vit C tablets really help I find.  Dose as if you were getting a cold, so a few times a day.  I take them at the first inkling of pain and they usually prevent it from escalating.  Either that or raw garlic cloves if I'm feeling really game, again a clove or two a few times a day.  Straight vitamin C helps too.

Lechithin granules (healthfood isle of supermarket) also work wonders.  It's an emulsifier, and has same effect on breastmilk and thus helps the milk to flow more freely instead of clumping up and blocking things up. A tablespoon or so on my cereal or in a smoothie every day (ongoing) does the trick, up it to two tablespoons if you notice a bit of pain or a blocked duct or whatever.......

Sage tea is brilliant for reducing milk supply.  Many women use it to help with the weaning process but it can also be used if you've got an oversupply and need to bring the milk production back just a bit.  Don't over do it though!

ETA: I should clarify that I used to get mastitis all the time.  I had an over-supply with my DD1 and when DD2 was born it was even worse.  I had mastitis about 3 times in her first few weeks of life and that's when I went on a massive search for alternative treatments/preventatives other than the typical heat pack and massage stuff.  They help too of course ..... Anyway I haven't had mastitis since, it was about six months ago now that I started the above regime.

Thanks for all of that. I've started taking Lecithin again and was already taking Zinc & Echinacea. Will up the Vitamin C.

I tried the Sage Tea but it seemed to upset my stomach.

After the 3 1/2 courses of Fluclox when I had the first bout of mastitis, my stomach seems really messed up and a lot seems to be affecting it. Seeing a gastro today though, so hoping for some help there!

#18 mummahh

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

I had it and I had antibiotics on the IV. I still had a lot of redness and lumpiness so a doctor brought in an ultrasound machine that is used specifically for breaking up the lumps.

When you said you are getting an ultrasound is that you what you meant? It worked great for me if that is what it is.

After that, I weaned DS and didn't have any real problems, apart from feeling a bit uncomfortable for a couple of weeks.

#19 tick

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Mis84 @ 05/03/2013, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all of that. I've started taking Lecithin again and was already taking Zinc & Echinacea. Will up the Vitamin C.

I tried the Sage Tea but it seemed to upset my stomach.

After the 3 1/2 courses of Fluclox when I had the first bout of mastitis, my stomach seems really messed up and a lot seems to be affecting it. Seeing a gastro today though, so hoping for some help there!

And garlic!  It's the most important bit, natural anti-biotic and all that.  Raw is best but hard to stomach (slice up the cloves quite small and swallow them like capsules).

ETA: I've heard mixed results from peppermint tea being ok for reducing milk supply also.  Have to drink loads of it though .... but it's good for soothing an upset stomach at least!

Edited by tick, 06 March 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#20 Maserati Mum

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

You poor thing OP, I have only had mastitis once and it was horrendous, almost as bad as my drug-free birth!!! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.