10 year old spotting

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Playdaze

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

My 10 year old DD began spotting on Friday but by Saturday afternoon it was finished. She has handled it extremely well and I made sure I hid my shock at her having to deal with this at such a young age (she has just turned 10). I am wondering about other people's experiences with their young daughter's first period. Was their first spotting experience quickly followed by a normal period or was there a few months between the two? Any advice/experiences will be gratefully appreciated.

#2 KT1978

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Oh you poor thing.... I'm waiting for my DD to get hers (she's 10 and I don't think she is far away).

I've explained pads to her (she thought they would hurt because you stick them to yourself like a band aid  biggrin.gif ) and popped one in a discreet pocket in her school bag.

With a bit of luck your DD will not get much more than spotting for awhile, I think I didn't have a proper period for at least a year when mine started but its so long ago....

#3 lovemy32

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

My 10 1/2 year old spotted about 6 weeks ago, she told me she noticed it when she wiped but not enough for a pad. She just has had a few days of spotting again - used a pad this time.
I did the same, just made up a little bag with a pad and spare undies and she came home from school last week very proudly telling me she has her "proper" period now.
I remember spotting abOut 6 months before I got mine properly - we're all different I suppose.
On a side note I know a family who has two girls and when they got their period fOr the first time the parents would have a celebration tea! While we didn't go to that extreme (daughter would have been embarrased) I think it's nice to acknowledge her entrance into womanhood!

#4 raone

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

I agree lm32. I remember watching an episode of the cosby show. Claire would have a day with the girls when they got as they were becoming women. She would show them how to do things. Then the would eat chocolate and watch movies an whatever else they wanted to do. I would do that if i ever have a girl. Mine seriously  sucked because i was at a sleep over.

#5 Kay1

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

I was about that age when it started. It went on for quite a while, maybe 6 months before it became a 'proper' period.

#6 JillyJellyBean

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

I was 10 when mine started. Unfortunatley they started heavy and I needed iron supplements. I think the hardest thing I can remember was things like school camps when my period came  I was too embarassed to talk to anyone about it. I think lots of education and support would have been really helpful. My Mum was great, but at 10 your still so young to cope with making sure you have supplies in advance, what to do when you leak etc... (sorry if TMI).

#7 twilightangel

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Im another who started aged 10 but my first was a proper heavy period.

#8 Kimmie85

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I think that this generation is just starting earlier, which seems unfair, they need to have more time without having to be worried about that kind of thing. But there is so much more information out there nowadays and schools are on the ball.

#9 *l&k*mama

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

cry1.gif I am covering my ears and saying "la la la - no! 10 year olds do not get their period!"

Poor. Babies! I hope my daughters are a way off.

#10 BeleCM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

My 13yr old got hers at 9, she has spotting on and off for a few months before hand, we had a chat about it, I gave her some pantyliners and some pads and explained that at the moment she only needed the pantyliners but soon enough she will need the pads.

My 18yr olds started as a proper period at age 11, if I recall correctly mine started at 11 too, so 9 really threw me off.

#11 sophiasmum

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

My DD was 9 & 1/2 when she spotted on & off for a few days over the christmas school holidays. It was quite a shock to me at the time. But nothing since January. I think it can be anything up to a year before the first proper period.

#12 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I was 10-11yrs when I first had spotting, but did not get AF until I was 12.5yrs.

#13 Propaganda

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

I started spotting a little before I turned 10.

I didn't have a proper period until a few months after I turned 11.

#14 kadoodle

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

My 11yo DD has had irregular spotting for almost 12 months now.  Both my SILs were early (10yo) starters though.  I had hoped she'd take after me and wait until she was 14, but no such luck.

#15 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

My DD9 a few months' of 10 has had a bit of hair for a few years (but is very hairy altogether (sorry darling)). She has recently started budding and suggested to me that I put some supplies in her school bag in case she starts her period!  ohmy.gif

She does have an older sister and step-sisters, so perhaps she has had this discussion with them, and thus it may have been suggested for her to let me know.

#16 abanda

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Playdaze, on 04 March 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

My 10 year old DD began spotting on Friday but by Saturday afternoon it was finished. She has handled it extremely well and I made sure I hid my shock at her having to deal with this at such a young age (she has just turned 10). I am wondering about other people's experiences with their young daughter's first period. Was their first spotting experience quickly followed by a normal period or was there a few months between the two? Any advice/experiences will be gratefully appreciated.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.