Weird one here, feels like bug in ear?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

This really is rather weird.

My left ear often feels like there is a teensy bug crawling around in there somewhere.  I might get the feeling for an hour, then it goes away for days, then back again for a while.  It only ever happens in my left ear and I'm fairly confident there are no actual critters nesting in there.

Have googled and have read a few other questions on this, but no answer or reason.

Anyone else have Chronic Earus-Crawly-Insecticus syndrome, lol, or know what it is?

#2 wenchwitch

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

I had the same and went to the doctors. He flushed my ear out and there was a teensy ball of wax. He said that it caught on the hairs sometimes so would feel like an insect and it would only happen occasionally. Since then have never had the same feeling again. It was about 1 mm round and I did use cotton buds but when seeing it couldn't believe how small it was for the weirdness factor it caused lol

#3 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Uh Oh.  I HATE having ears flushed out.  I honestly think I'd rather have a pap smear done by King Kong than that.  The water swooshing around makes me all nauseous and dizzy and then seeing it come out in the little tray.... EWWWWW!

But if that's what it takes...

I wonder if one can self-flush ears...

#4 Helena Handbasket

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

Surely you'd hear a bug scratching around in there so close to your ear drum.

I'd have to get it checked out though because I'd shudder every.single.time I had that feeling incase it was a creepy crawly

#5 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

DD peered in there last week and swore she saw a tiny, tiny giraffe.

I am fairly sure she was joking, but now I'm having giraffe nightmares biggrin.gif

#6 jaskat

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (LeChatNinjah @ 07/03/2013, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD peered in there last week and swore she saw a tiny, tiny giraffe.

I am fairly sure she was joking, but now I'm having giraffe nightmares biggrin.gif

Hilarious.... not the nightmares but the tiny, tiny giraffe. Too cute.

I actually did have a tiny, tiny, bug in my ear a couple of weeks ago.  Stupid thing just zoomed in.  Believe me, if it's a bug, you will know.  You can HEAR it and FEEL it moving it's little bittie legs.  It was gross.  I did the hopping on one foot, water in the ear dance but it didn't work so straight to google.  Remembered I had a syringe from a bottle of baby nurefen (sp....lol spelling 'assistant' wanted to turn that into 'Nureyev') so flushed out the ear by myself with just a little bit of warm water.  See, sometimes you do need to keep everything you should really have thrown out years ago.

End result, bug gone, dancing stopped, much to the relief for all who witnessed it.

#7 Bazinga

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Grab one of those Audiclean devices when at the shop next and give it a good flush original.gif

#8 Paddlepop

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

We bought an ear flushing syringe from a pharmacy. I can't be bothered walking to the bathroom to check the brand but it comes in a blue and yellow box.

It looks like a normal syringe except it has a special diffusing end so that the water won't shoot out and damage the ear drum. It is more gentle in the way it comes out. Just make sure you use warm water, not cold water.

DH and DD both get waxy mucky ears. They put in wax softening drops a few times a week before a shower, then flush out their ears in the shower. Nice clean ears! It drives DH nuts when he can feel any tiny pieces of wax moving around in his ears.

Actually, DH just showed signs of life and I got him to get the box. This is it:
http://keypharm.com.au/products/ear_clear_ear_syringe.php

#9 sāta kōrsa

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

I had a friend who once, when moving her curtains, saw a little critter fly through the air and land in her ear.  She felt it immediately.  Turns out it was a baby cockroach and the noise of it scuttling around in there was DEAFENING.  A quick syringe from a doctor sorted that out, but my point is that if it was a little critter, you'd know about it!

I have a clicking in one ear sometimes due to a very tight neck, but otherwise I think wenchwitch's post would be the most plausible.

#10 Ianthe

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Pap Smear from King Kong roll2.gif

#11 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

I hate all of you.

Cockroaches, Wax softening drops, WHY HAVE NONE OF YOU TOLD ME IT IS ALL IN MY HEAD?

*dies of insect infestation of the ear*

* remember me fondly as someone who did care no matter what other EBers might think, talking about you, Mrs Northman*

*Picks insect excrement out of ear canal*

*Basks in glow of being a good person with ear infestation*

#12 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

I hate all of you.

Cockroaches, Wax softening drops, WHY HAVE NONE OF YOU TOLD ME IT IS ALL IN MY HEAD?

*dies of insect infestation of the ear*

* remember me fondly as someone who did care no matter what other EBers might think, talking about you, Mrs Northman*

*Picks insect excrement out of ear canal*

*Basks in glow of being a good person with ear infestation*

#13 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

And the horse you rode in on, ear itch!

#14 toosenuf

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Warm water and a little bit of bi-carb will works just as well as the ear softening wax, just flush it out with a syringe, its cheap and works wonders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.