My cat has stopped purring :(

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Imdobbing

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

My beautiful 2yr old girl cat - who normally purrs all the time, as soon as I pick her up or cuddle her, has stopped purring.

She seems stressed and just stares out the window. The block next door has been cleared over the last two days and I am wondering if she got caught over there when the equipment came in and has frightened her.

Has anyone experienced their normally very vocal cat go quiet due to some kind of traumatic experience?. She is eating and doesn't appear to be in pain so pretty sure she isn't injured.

Wish she could tell me what has happened sad.gif

#2 Froger

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

My advice would be to delete your post and run away! Quick! Before too many people notice your thread.

#3 mewsings

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Cats are really good at hiding when they are injured. Something as out of character as this would have me take her to the vet if she were mine. It's possible she's hurt.

Despite the PP's comment, please consider keeping her in, especially with heavy equipment next door.  

Hope she is ok

#4 DM. 2012

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Take her to the vet if she still isn't back to herself by morning. One thing you can check to see if she has been injured or scared in some way is to check if her gums are paler than usual.

When my cat was a kitten she was at home alone when my unit got broken into. She must have been terrified because when I got home I found her sitting on the bedroom window sill and she was stiff and shaking.

Try to comfort her by giving her a favourite treat, lots of cuddles and if you have a cat brush, give her a brush.

#5 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

If it were my cat, I would be concerned enough to take her to the vet. I would also keep her inside so there's no risk of her getting caught next door or anything like that.

#6 fr0g

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 08/03/2013, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My advice would be to delete your post and run away! Quick! Before too many people notice your thread.

biggrin.gif You're terrible!

I'm sorry your cat has stopped purring.  I have no advice, but maybe she's just having one of 'those' weeks...?

#7 Carmen02

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

keep a close eye on ur cat and see if her behaviour changes anymore  and i would keep inside if there is machines next door! my older cats are used to hanging out on our back patio and i dont allow that anymore (they dont like me at the moment! )

#8 CupcakeMumma

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'd have her checked out and in the meantime lots of cuddles and soothing talk, keep her calm.  Check to see she's eating and drinking and still grooming herself

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Vet. Pronto.

Your cat could be injured, or could be poisoned as a result of the construction going on next door. If a cat isn't purring, or has stopped being vocal when it is normally 'chatty', it has suffered an injury to its throat. That is abnormal and should be looked at immediately.

And yes, she will be highly stressed by stuff like construction - every critter is, including people.

Its also worth considering keeping your cat indoors 24/7. Yes, no outdoor time at all.

You've already discovered that the outdoors is a nasty, frightening place for your cat, and its safety would be best served by not exposing it to further risk of harm from construction workers, traffic, dogs, other cats or people who just hate cats and feel the need to do nasty mean horrific things to them. Learn from this experience - at least your cat is still alive, and hopefully not too seriously injured.

SarahM72, if you're looking for a b**ch fight, why don't you go and start something contraversial over in General. I notice you didn't have any useful advice to offer on a pet related matter.  rolleyes.gif

#10 jayskette

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't actually agree with keeping cats 24/7 as the best situation for all cats. I adopted my 2yo cat from RSPCA and for the first 3 months we were told to keep him indoors 24/7 and we had numerous episodes of ruined scratched furniture, biting, not eating etc and he keeps on trying to exit the front door whenever we open it. He never purred. We bought a pet door that only opens during the day and volia - complete cat transformation - he is now purring, wanting cuddles...

#11 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I think all pets need to be contained on their owner's property. So if this means enclosing your yard then people should do that. I don't think any domestic pet should be left to free roam.

But OP I think you need to get your cat to the vet to make sure everything is okay.

Edited by Sunnycat, 09 March 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#12 blackcat20

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (jayskette @ 09/03/2013, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't actually agree with keeping cats 24/7 as the best situation for all cats. I adopted my 2yo cat from RSPCA and for the first 3 months we were told to keep him indoors 24/7 and we had numerous episodes of ruined scratched furniture, biting, not eating etc and he keeps on trying to exit the front door whenever we open it. He never purred. We bought a pet door that only opens during the day and volia - complete cat transformation - he is now purring, wanting cuddles...

My cat is kept in 24/7, as she is deaf and white, so as risk of being run over or badly sunburnt. Never met a louder purrer. My last cat was outside 24/7 and never purred...

#13 FiveAus

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

My cats are kept inside 24/7, it's much healthier for them. And much less stressful.

#14 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

jayskette, if your cats have outdoor access in a secure enclosure, knock yourself out. I certainly support cats getting to experience the outdoors if they are not a danger to others, and if nothing else can be a danger to them.

My experience is that *most* people who have cats who are outdoors at some point (whether permanently or during a portion of the day) and who profess to be passionate about cats being 'outdoor' kind of animals, don't go to the trouble of providing a safe, secure enclosure for the protection of their kitty.

Which means the cat can (and does) roam, is subject to attacks from other cats, decimates any local wildlife and usually ends up as roadkill or torn to pieces by a dog or a sicko. Not to mention the fleas, parasites, viruses, bacterial infections and other things which reduce a cat's lifespan.

I find it peculiar that people assume their cats don't leave their yard. Studies show that in a population of outdoor cats, there is quite a bit of movement as the stronger cats push out the weaker ones for the best territory - and of course this is like a domino effect. The poor resident moggy has to brave attack and worse in order to access dinner and water. I feel so sorry for those cats.

Cats are not native animals, they have no true place in our outdoors. Unless you've got an enclosure, there is no reason whatsoever for allowing a cat outdoors - even if it seems to you to be unhappy about it. Trust me, it will have a lot more to be unhappy about if it gets hit by a car or mauled by a neighbour's dog.

#15 protart roflcoptor

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (jayskette @ 09/03/2013, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh jeez. You forgot to mention the pet door opens to a pet enclosure, right?

#16 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (jayskette @ 09/03/2013, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I agree that not all cats are happy with being 100% indoors. That's why we have a cat enclosure - it gives us all the best of everything. They get constant access to outside, they can come in whenever they want, we know they're always safe and they can't kill wildlife. Win-win all round everyone. original.gif

I don't support letting cats roam beyond a secure enclosed yard/cat run though. That's just stupid, negligent and cruel to the cats AND local wildlife.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.