African Bum Disease.... what the?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ~~~

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Ok, So DD just said that a kid in her class said that "epic" means "African Bum Disease"...... huh.gif

Google didn't give me a good definition, but I'm assuming it is an old racist term/school yard "joke" etc.

Anyone able to clarify?

Thanks

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Apparently it started when people were using the term 'skillage' and someone would say 'are you skillage' and they would answer yes to shouts of 'haha skillage is an African bum disease'.

I can't find a disease called skillage, so I think it is a made up racist thing.

I think they are just transferring this to the term 'epic' instead of 'skillage' now.

#3 ~~~

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

CupofCoffee - yes, I found that on Google too.

#4 Tunip

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

When I was at school, 'legend' was apparently an "Indian bum rash".

Edited by mummasaurus, 29 March 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#5 #YKG

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

I remember something like that in primary school but it wasn't in relation to epic or skillage it was another word that doesn't come to mind ATM. It's been around for so long the word however appears to change.

#6 Musk Sticks

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

when I was at school kids would say that "legion" is an african bum disease.

I would say this is just another twist on a old school yard taunt.

#7 FreeRangeMum

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Yep we had the legion = African bum disease too!!

It's amazing how these schoolyard stories last generations!!

#8 Kafkaesque

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

My dd came home last week saying that skillage ment African bum disease. Kids are weird.

#9 #YKG

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

That's the word I was thinking of legion. Thanks PP.

Yeah kids are weird

#10 AngryBird

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

My kids came home with something about a Chinese Bum Disease....... but no associated word.
In terms of "definitions", apparently dude = camel penis, or so they tell each other fairly often!

#11 claptrap

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yep, kids are weird ... but I find it kind of cool that they are so creative in their insults!

#12 PatG

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (dogged @ 29/03/2013, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, kids are weird ... but I find it kind of cool that they are so creative in their insults!

but hasn't this thread shown that they aren't being creative at all but copying something they have heard?  And the copying has been going on for decades and so there are a few variations on whatever the original was....

#13 Overtherainbow

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

I find it horrid that it hasn't died.

Eenie, meanie, minee, mo has become catch a tiger by the toe.

There's a few other sayings that have also changed from there racist, sexist overtone.  Pity this one hasn't gone too.

#14 Feral_Pooks

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm not sure what the origins of this is, but I always took at as meaning African="exotic" bum disease, and the main joke being it's a disease.... Of the BUM! Hahahaha bum. I'm not sure it's meant to be racist.

#15 Feralishous

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (mummasaurus @ 29/03/2013, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was at school, 'legend' was apparently an "Indian bum rash".

to us "legend' was an african bum disease

#16 The Cat

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

I've never heard of it.  To me it sounds like a racist way to say someone has A big bum?

Edited by The Cat, 29 March 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#17 JRA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

I am missing something firstly, legion  how does that even fit in to school yard talk. I don't get that.

I must admit I had to look up google for what in the hell skillage actually was.

I have never hear the insult or comment African bum disease. maybe I was a boring child.

#18 ~~~

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

While I find it interesting at how these things continue through the generations, I told DD that it was racist and to tell the other kids if they say it again. Whether she does or not is debateable, but in this day and age, I want to make her aware it is not ok to say this kind of stuff.

#19 ali-song

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

DS came home saying something similar last week. The "joke" goes like this:

Kid 1: do you have skillage?
Kid 2: yes
Kid 1: har har har, skillage is African bum disease!!

OR

Kid 1: do you have skillage?
Kid 2: no!
Kid 1: har har har, you don't have skills!

Hilarious.

#20 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Haven't heard of African Bum Disease but DS and his mates used to avoid certain people because they might catch Squirrel AIDS from them ?

#21 Propaganda

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

We had some other word that apparently meant "African Bum Disease," in school too. It wasn't the same word as you OP, but I can't remember what it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.