FET and breast feeding
*pregnancy mentioned

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HappyRosie12

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hello

Has anyone experience with a FET while breast feeding?

We spent 4 years TTC and I'm now 38 with a 5 month old. We don't have time to wait TTC no 2.

We got 5 x day 5 embryos. The first transfer didn't stick, second was a FET miscarried, we switched clinics and the third = baby. I was on so many drugs and hormones post implant.

I really really don't want to stop breast feeding.

Thanks for your advice

#2 Elle232

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

No help sorry but we are in a similar position - breastfeeding our first and looking to do a FET without having to wean. Will be very interested in other people's experience.

#3 jules095

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

There was a discussion about this in the Parents Seeking AC forum here. ~> http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=907587

You will more than likely need to wean though.

#4 MrsSmith247

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

You will need to speak with your FS, but you most certainly can cycle while BF'ing, especially for a non medicated FET.

You will need to have your cycle back, and be ovulating, so it may mean you need to night wean, but that is surely better than weaning altogether if you are unsure.

I have been in contact with mothersafe, Dr Jack Newman (a breastfeeding expert) and my clinic who have all confirmed this.  The only real caveat they have all put on it is that you would try to wait a few hours after taking any meds to feed.  There is also the possibility of the meds decreasing your supply and leading to weaning, but this happens naturally when your cycle returns and when you're pregnant, so it's something to consider could happen regardless.

The main concerned I have is the prolactin that is produced when BF'ing which can interfere with implantation and I'll be looking into this further before we FET with our remaining frozen embryo.

#5 HappyRosie12

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thanks! The prolactin was my concern too. Those frosties are way too precious to risk.

I know a sibling would be way better than another 6 months breast feeding and I should be used to not having things work out as I wish but it still makes me so sad.

#6 indigo~

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

OP, I'm in the same boat and I'm procrastinating seeing my FS as I know he'll say there's no time to waste as I'm 41.

DD is only 7mo and it makes me really sad to thnk about weaning. But you're right, a sibling is more important in the long run than a few more months of BF. Doesn't make it any easier though.

#7 paradox

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

It is *possible* to fall pregnant and breastfeed through the duration of pregnancy. You may find that as your child starts solids soon, that may be enough if a difference to start you cycling again.
In general, the more sudden the dropping of feeds, the more likely to start your cycle again (try googling kellymom with something like fertility for tips and info).  I see that you are struggling with how this impacts the child you already have, in order to pursue the hope of another, and I sympathise.  I hope that it all falls beautifully into place without compromising what you want too harshly.
Can you pump? Would you consider investing a few weeks into pumping and storing milk before dropping feeds so that you could continue providing breast milk in higher quantities, even while your body no longer needs to produce as much?  Even if you can only hang onto one or two feeds a day, those feeds will provide as much immunological benefit as feeding much more, as antibodies increase in concentration, as well as continued bonding, covering some of the gaps in formula.
Good luck

#8 Guest_Miss Anthropist_*

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

It is such a hard decision, OP, especially with such a young baby. I am also 38 and we have an 18 month old from IVF. I still BF her round the clock. Our FS reckons it's fine to do FETs while breastfeeding, as long as ovulation is occuring and progesterone levels are normal. He says it makes no difference to the success rate. I am a little skeptical since other FSs have different opinions, but I haven't quizzed him further about this. In a way I don't care - even if it reduces our chance of success a little, I am happy to make that compromise. I am not willing to wean my DD before she is ready for the possibility of a sibling that may never exist. So if our FS is wrong, and the chance of success is reduced somewhat by BFing, that's a chance I'm willing to take, IYKWIM.

We are currently monitoring my cycles, which are still a bit wacky, and planning to do a transfer as soon as we've confirmed that I'm ovulating normally, and pinpointed when ovulation occurs.

Good luck.

#9 indigo~

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

I had an appt with my FS today about plans for a FET for number 2 and he said I didn't need to wean for a medicated FET. He said milk supply would likely decline from the oestrogen but there was no need to wean.

I'm not convinced though. I would hate to think i wasnt giving the embie the best possible chance to implant. Hearing that other FS insist on weaning has me concerned.

I'm 41, so no time to waste in case I have to do more fresh cycles. I'm thinking it might be time to gradually wean over the next month or so, unfortunately. DD is 8mo next week and it's earlier than I would choose if there wasn't the time pressure.

#10 HappyRosie12

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

An update for anyone reading this later.

I did have to completely wean and even took the milk drying up drugs, I can't remember their name but the side effects were awful.

The hormones produced when breastfeeding don't create the ideal environment for a FET.

I took an extra month to wean slowly. The first week was really tough. Then we both accepted it. It's been fine since.

#11 AnnieAca

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

I just got a BFP on my second natural FET while still breastfeeding. I was informed that breastfeeding reduced my chances though I have also had this disputed by a lactation consultant so who knows.

I had to do a tracking cycle first to prove my hormone levels were ok. DS is still feeding 2 - 3 times a days, usually just to go to sleep.

Edited by ~Mintie~, 01 October 2013 - 08:23 PM.
Removed ticker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.