AMH and breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Daffodils332

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hi there,

Just a query about AMH test while breastfeeding.  Our first little bub (after a long IVF/ICSI journey!) is 7 months, still BF, and we need to make some decisions about way forward in terms of ivf for #2.  My AMH has come in very low - 5.2.  I'm aware that breastfeeding can have an effect on AMH, but not sure how much. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with AMH levels while brestfeeding?  unsure.gif

Any insight would be much appreciated!

#2 146 Lucina

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just going to bump this one Daffodils, as I had my AMH tested when I only just stopped breast feeding, so I'm interested to hear some responses.

#3 Daffodils332

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Lucina.  It's a bit quiet, but fingers crossed a few people might find the thread with time - it would be great to hear some experiences.

#4 ~katiez~

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

My AMH has dropped significantly during the time I was pregnant and breastfeeding. It was 10.6 the month before my DD was conceived (she was our 7th embryo transfer). 3 months post partum and my levels were 2.2 sad.gif She's now almost one and I haven't had them checked since - I really don't want to know!! However we have been proactive and done a fully stimulated cycle whilst we were still BF when she was 8 months and got two frozen embryos from it and I'll attempt to wean her after her first birthday and get seriously going with #2.

Edited by ~katiez~, 01 May 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#5 Daffodils332

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Katiez for your post. It seems unfair how fast the levels can change. Good on you for being proactive and getting going with another stim cycle.  I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting started on more ivf too.  Fingers crossed your 2 embryos will be sticky ones, when it comes time to transfer.

#6 indigo~

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Just had my AMH levels rechecked. In Sept 2010, it was 2.2. A couple of weeks ago it was 3.7 and I am BF my 8.5mo DD. So I don't know that BF necessarily causes AMH to drop? Any further info on this?

#7 Daffodils332

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hi Indigo,

Thanks for sharing. Great that your amh has gone up a bit! I haven't had mine re-tested yet but will come back and post if/when I do. FS said the effect of breastfeeding on amh is still not fully known, but thought BF can sometimes lower the amh reading.  

We made the tough decision to wean our little one, just to try to give the ivf our best possible shot. We did it gradually over a period of weeks. In the end he handled it much better than I did. Hoping to start more ivf in the next few weeks (waiting for AF, otherwise ready to go!)  Will update if I have AMH re-tested down the track now I've finished breastfeeding.

#8 indigo~

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Ooh, good luck daffodils!

I am in the process of slowly weaning DD so I can start trying for no2. She's 9mo (7.5mo corrected) and same here, I think I'm finding it harder than she is. I'd been stalling big time at 2 bottles a day and have moved up to 3 a day in the past week or so.

#9 indigo~

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

It looks like the "Mums doing AC" buddy group hasn't been active since January. We should get it going again  biggrin.gif

#10 ~katiez~

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Very keen, lets do it original.gif

#11 Daffodils332

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Great idea!

Good going with the weaning, Indigo. It's not easy but I'm telling myself it will hopefully one day be worth it... I found the last feed really hard to drop. I hope you and DD are still doing ok with it.

Ok, heading over now to the 'Mums doing AC' buddy group...

#12 43 other ferals

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

I had no idea there might be a connection!  That may explain a mystery in my own life.  After DS was born I had 3 miscarriages.  I had AMH checked and it was 1!  Then quickly fell pregnant again.  So I had a level of 1 but fell pregnant 5 times in 3 years, without much effort.  And I was BFg my little man!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.