Does anyone use Xero?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Three Of Hearts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I got a random email from my accountant saying that he thinks it would be a good idea to switch our system over from Quickbooks Premiere and Quickbooks Retail Manager to Xero.  I can tell by the email that he's obviously getting a kick back if we go with it so I guess I'm being a bit cynical about whether or not we need to switch.

He said it would cost us around $50 per month plus plugins.  From what I can see so far we would need the
* Retail store plugin
* eBay plugin
* Magento plugin

Our renewal fees with Quickbooks are about $1500 per year, but we only get the upgrades every 2 years so it's half that.

He has some good points as to why it would be beneficial, I like the idea that we can access all our bookwork from anywhere and we don't have to worry about doing 'accountants copies' like we do in Quickbooks.

So does anyone out there in EB land use Xero?  Do you like it?  Are there any pros and cons to it?

#2 mumofmany73

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yes, use it love it highly recommend it. Honestly cannot think of any cons

#3 Three Of Hearts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (mumofmany73 @ 17/04/2013, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, use it love it highly recommend it. Honestly cannot think of any cons

Wow really!  Thats a good thing I guess!  Do you do the bank recs?  It looks a little more complicated than Quickbooks, but then also seems to have some better features!

#4 KT1978

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Xero is one of the best packages I've used and I've used about 7, from small to large packages. It is very user friendly and looks like it was developed by an accountant rather than an IT guru.

I haven't used quick books to compare but I've used myob.

I still use myob online for our business, purely because it's $25 a month, but I'll probably change to xero to get extra functionality later.

#5 blondie82

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

How come you can't use Quickbooks Online OP?

#6 SplashingRainbows

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

I do for my business , and all my clients (I am an accountant).

My firm run demos each month so anyone can come and " have a look" with no pressure, and I organise a free trial for a month or two. It's important you get a chance to understand what you are "buying".

I would do a good due diligence on the add ons before switching. They are not owned by Xero so you can't just blindly accept it will all work how you want it to. I'm aware but not familiar with the detail of the add ons you mention.

I think for most small business Xero is great - bank recs are sooo easy - but your situation is a little more complicated and you should make sure you know exactly what the programs will or will not do.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 17 April 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#7 wilson99

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

currently looking the switch from quickbooks to xero.

Problems that I have found are

no purchase orders in xero
can't easily edit delivery address for an invoice
can't search by item description to find a previous invoice
not the details reports like you get in quickbooks, make sure you check with your account and tell them what you currently use in quickbooks to see if they can do it in xero.

At the moment, I am looking for an add on to better handle the invoices and purchase orders. We do want to switch as we have problems with quickbooks and as our business is growing, I really want to have the accountant be able to help out more which they can't with quickbooks. Plus, for us its actually cheaper to go with xero even if we need an add-on. Our accountant fees will be greatly reduced.

Do not use quickbooks online, its slow and is not really a cloud solution.

#8 Caribou

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

I use it for my business. It's fanastic! I love it. So easy to use and excellent to work in from home. We too usd QB. What a piece of rubbish. The online version is such a flop.

#9 Caribou

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (jumpingbeans @ 17/04/2013, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not the details reports like you get in quickbooks, make sure you check with your account and tell them what you currently use in quickbooks to see if they can do it in xero.

At the moment, I am looking for an add on to better handle the invoices and purchase orders. We do want to switch as we have problems with quickbooks and as our business is growing, I really want to have the accountant be able to help out more which they can't with quickbooks. Plus, for us its actually cheaper to go with xero even if we need an add-on. Our accountant fees will be greatly reduced.

Do not use quickbooks online, its slow and is not really a cloud solution.

Have you tried unleashed for purchase orders?  It can be used as an add on to Xero. I'm currently trying this out.

I get pretty detailed reports in Xero, what are you trying to find out?

Edited by Madnesscraves, 17 April 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#10 crayons

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Glad to read these positive stories we have just changed over to affinity live, quote roller and transitioning to xero for 1st July start. So far it has looked really good I'm moving from MYOB and our own invoice program so it'll be good to have it all in one spot.

#11 protart roflcoptor

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

MYOB stinks if you are networking and multi users. Made the switch to Xero and very happy we did.

So much more responsive.

#12 Caribou

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

FYI...MYOB was made by the same guy who did xero! He sold MYOB off and the investors did diddly squat to it. A small update here and there. The creator wasn't happy was this so he went off and made Xero which is so much better and constantly being improved. They love user feedback and taken on board what's suggested.

#13 Three Of Hearts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (blondie82 @ 17/04/2013, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How come you can't use Quickbooks Online OP?

I haven't look at it.  I just got this email out of the blue from our accountant suggesting we swap to Xero.  Some of the feedback on here for QB Online doesn't sounds to good!

QUOTE (SplashingRainbows @ 17/04/2013, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do for my business , and all my clients (I am an accountant).

My firm run demos each month so anyone can come and " have a look" with no pressure, and I organise a free trial for a month or two. It's important you get a chance to understand what you are "buying".

I would do a good due diligence on the add ons before switching. They are not owned by Xero so you can't just blindly accept it will all work how you want it to. I'm aware but not familiar with the detail of the add ons you mention.

I think for most small business Xero is great - bank recs are sooo easy - but your situation is a little more complicated and you should make sure you know exactly what the programs will or will not do.

Thank you biggrin.gif  I had a play yesterday with an add on called OneSaas.  It sends all the eBay and website data directly into Xero.  It was a bit complicated but I worked it out in the end.  It is another $30 per month though on top of the Xero.  I also found an add on which sends QB Retail Manager sales into Xero, again another $20 per month.  We'd prefer not to use an online program for our POS as it would be connecting our USB internet every time we needed to do a customer sales receipt.

QUOTE (jumpingbeans @ 17/04/2013, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed yesterday it didn't look easy to edit a delivery address.  I also use the search function in QB a lot to search for descriptions!

Thanks for all the advice.  I am very computer literate so nothing really phases me.  I am worried about my DH though who has a total meltdown when he doesn't know what he's doing!  He read the email from the accountant and said "Oh crap, it's taken me 2.5 years to start getting used to Quickbooks" roll2.gif

#14 3mummy3

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

My dh's business has just swapped to xero from myob. I am payroll officer as well as doing all other entering/ bank recs etc. I am at this moment tearing my hair out trying to do the bank rec so that the accountant can get in and do Bas for march. I can't figure out how to reconcile the payroll entries. Also I have a problem with a disappearing employee! He exists in the employee list but when I try to post a pay run he isn't listed to choose!?!?!

Apart from that it all looks pretty good!!!lol

#15 Caribou

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (3mummy3 @ 19/04/2013, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My dh's business has just swapped to xero from myob. I am payroll officer as well as doing all other entering/ bank recs etc. I am at this moment tearing my hair out trying to do the bank rec so that the accountant can get in and do Bas for march. I can't figure out how to reconcile the payroll entries. Also I have a problem with a disappearing employee! He exists in the employee list but when I try to post a pay run he isn't listed to choose!?!?!

Apart from that it all looks pretty good!!!lol

if you go to employee details, have you allocated him to a group?

Only other thing I can think of is is he listed to be paid weekly/fornightly/monthly? that could be affecting him not showing up.

Edited by Madnesscraves, 19 April 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#16 3mummy3

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Madnesscraves @ 19/04/2013, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you go to employee details, have you allocated him to a group?

Only other thing I can think of is is he listed to be paid weekly/fornightly/monthly? that could be affecting him not showing up.

Thanks for the ideas, went looking again and found that his employee start date was for some reason listed as the same day as the payrun date, so changed his start date and now he is all sorted!

Now just to make sense of the bank rec process!!!

#17 Unatheowl

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hi OP, we looked at Xero for our business but ended up going with SAASU instead, because it suited the nature of our business a little better (ability to create kits of parts in inventory etc).  SAASU is another option which is a lot like Xero in terms of ease of use and totally integrating payroll, inventory, bank feeds etc.

#18 Three Of Hearts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 19/04/2013, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi OP, we looked at Xero for our business but ended up going with SAASU instead, because it suited the nature of our business a little better (ability to create kits of parts in inventory etc).  SAASU is another option which is a lot like Xero in terms of ease of use and totally integrating payroll, inventory, bank feeds etc.

Ooo thanks I hadn't thought of that one.  We have a lot of 'inventory groups' where it's 2 or more parts sold as one item.  Can Xero not handle that?

#19 3mummy3

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Would love some help from any xero users out there!!
Just started using this after using myob and finding some things a bit difficult!!?
I need to know how to record that a customer has paid their invoices for the month. In myob I just entered the customer and all the invoices for the particular month came up and it was simple to enter that they had all been paid in one payment. With xero I am either missing something or do I actually have to enter each individual invoice for the month as being paid separately??

Also I doubled up a payrun accidentally and can't figure out how to delete the second entry, it is currently sitting in bills awaiting payment!!!

#20 Unatheowl

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Allie_D @ 19/04/2013, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooo thanks I hadn't thought of that one.  We have a lot of 'inventory groups' where it's 2 or more parts sold as one item.  Can Xero not handle that?

Yes, I believe Xero can do it, but we noticed that the inventory part is an add-on that you need to log into separately.  SAASU is completely integrated.

#21 wilson99

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thought I would update that I have chosen xero with fresh books for the invoicing. We really needed to be able to search for item descriptions and this was the only solution. Will let you know how we'll it works compared with quickbooks.

#22 Kate97

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:53 AM

We use Xero in our company and we are very satisfied with it, so I would strongly recommend Xero for any company, especially with TimeCamp integration which helps you monitor time budgets and its burndown in your projects. if you have any questions, feel free to ask

#23 ohbother

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

We are starting up a business but will be using myob, due to being able to store data on cloud and other places xero only uploads to cloud

#24 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

I have been using the bank reconciliation process for over a year now. From my POV it was developed by idiots.

The bank rec matching criteria seriously sucks and makes things hard to match. Even when you have a matching reference number on the bank statement and on the sales invoice the stupid thing only matches it about 1/10 times.

ETA I have been involved with writing reconciliation matching rules and audition reconciliation matching rules in the past so I know Xeros inability to match clearly matching items is stuffed.

Edited by Isolabella, 15 August 2015 - 08:37 AM.

#25 ~ShellBell~

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:10 PM

I know it's been a little while since this topic was started but just wanted to add that I am a huge lover of Saasu.  I am a Chartered Accountant but have my own online business with quite a bit of inventory (over 1,000 products). I used MYOB for years & trialled Myob's online product, Xero & Saasu.  Ended up going with Saasu for the same reason as a PP said, it has integrated inventory.  Absolutely best decision I made.  I have it integrated with Neto for e-commerce (and eBay is integrated with Neto) ... all of the information flows through to end up in Saasu & visa versa.  Has cut down my 'bookkeeping' time significantly (I'm guessing it cut about 70% of the time I was spending on entering etc).  Saasu is cheaper than Xero.  I'm honestly not sure why more people aren't choosing Saasu on price alone given that it's as good as (if not better IMO) than Xero ... and with integrated inventory (no need for unleashed.

I started using Saasu at the beginning of last year & it's been improved, with new functions all the time.  Only thing I miss from myob is the calculator function :)

I also have used Saasu directly as POS at one time as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.