Birth Plans?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 integriti

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Has everyone done theirs up? 1st timer and have NO IDEA!
Any suggestions? I’ve tried googling templates, but only get blank ones?

I don’t know what I want: I’ve never done it before! ohmy.gif

#2 Runner5

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

I've been wondering whether or not to do one myself so I'll be eagerly watching for the replies - I feel I have a pretty good rapport with my OB and no massively strong feelings on how things shake out so long as we get a baby at the end - obviously I have preferences but I'm a little wary of setting my heart on things going a certain way and having to deal with the disappointment of not getting what I want.  I don't know, I could well be setting myself up for epic fail!

#3 MangoTango

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I have prepared a very simple 'birth plan' - not even sure if it constitutes a birth plan - which outlines my key preferences and what to do it in an emergency.

I broke it up under the following sections:

Overall considerations - who I want with me, nominating my husband to make decisions for me if I cannot, preference for vaginal birth
Labour - ability to walk around for as long as possible, use of bath/shower, episiotomy, husband to cut cord
Pain relief - no analgesia or anaesthetic until I request it
Emergency c-section - what should happen when baby is born etc, father to remain with baby at all times
Post-birth - keep baby with parents / in room at all times, skin to skin immediately, breastfeed asap

This is as much for my husbands reference as it is my OB and midwives. I trust my OB implicitly but would like my husband to advocate on my behalf if I cannot.

Ultimately, all I am concerned about is the safe arrival of my baby, so I am more than prepared that most of the information in this plan will go out the window depending on the circumstances!

Hope this helps!

#4 AliC05

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think its a good idea to keep it simple and express general plans or preferences. I think anything too specific runs the risk of ending in disappointment.

Its helpful for the staff if they know you would prefer not to have an epidural or whether or not you would like to be offered gas, whether you would like to try a ball or bath or birthing stool etc.

I think the tough part is that you have no idea how you will cope with labour and there are lots of variables - the position of the baby, how tired you are, how stressed you are feeling, which can affect how you manage.

Like others my plan was: "get baby out safely". Randomly I ended up with a completely pain free childbirth experience (kind of by accident) and other friends who had done the gamut of hypobirthing etc had to go to theatres of forceps deliveries (with epidural).

I dont think the outcomes were in any way related to our individual "preparation" but just demonstrate that you just dont know what may need to happen.

I think keep an open mind, have some ideas in mind, and  don't ever let anyone make you feel inferior or lacking because you had an epidural, or gas or a caesarean.

#5 blueynat

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

TBH I have never done a birth plan with any of my previous kids and DP knows all that has to be done when the time arises and in an emergency. My midwives have already noted down what I want on my file   and what i dont want. I have seen so many ppl do birth plans and get really disappointed when it doesnt go how they want and they end up worked up more than it should be.
So for me i wont be writting a birth plan as i dont believe in them and if your partner and midwives/OB know what you want there should be no need for it. Just my opinion on them

#6 BeakyHoneyButt

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

I didn't do a birth plan with my first two, and i haven't with this one either. I found when in labour the first time, i remember thinking at some point, a birth plan would be useless, i don't have the capacity right now to make sure people are checking off things on my list anyway. I don't remember having the strength to say anything much and when i did hear my family around me asking for extra pain relief or an epi they were told it wont be long, ( but it was long lol )

So second time around was an elective CS, i had no birth plan here either just assumed there was a hospital process and they would do their best  unsure.gif . I did ensure DH knew not to dress the baby in anything before i got my hands on it and as soon as poss i wanted her on my chest.

MangoTango, your list looks really good, I think you have a really good balance of saying what you would like to happen, and all are things that are realistic  original.gif

This time i have no plan again, whatever will be will be, as long at i get a healthy little baby popped on my chest as soon as i am able, then i will be happy  biggrin.gif  Only thing actually, is i will make sure they place all the medical stuff in more appropriate places, but i found this out when having surgery on my appendix. I had a line put in the crook of my arm and every time i bent my arm it would block my IV and beep for the nurse. so will make sure they put it in my left hand this time, and also to place monitoring points on my back rather than chest.

Edited by foxgirls, 19 May 2013 - 08:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.