Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Award for participation? wink.gif

#5 Divine 37

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hi girls original.gif

#6 redmum77

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

WD - lol! Yup.

Hi all, I think we are all just a bit hilarious! I figure there must be a bunch of people who are having troubles with their bubs, and not knowing why they are crying or what they want etc... No one seems to be saying anything but I hope this helps someone! It's a great video about the noises your baby makes, their 'language', hugely popular so lots will have seen it already. I found it really helpful with DS,
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PgkZf6jVdVg...v%3DPgkZf6jVdVg

Clarial - as someone said, if I had a day where I had to prop up a bottle id think I'd had a bad day (we all have them). To be honest I find three children easier than I did one. You get swept along in needs and routine. With one I had too much time to myself, too much thinking. Hope you're ok.

I don't think I drank enough water today, dd has taken lots more formula.. Grr, so hard to drink enoggra when you're out and about! I've got DS staying home tomorrow sick a cold, poor thing. Without dd1 to help entertain him and DH getting home late it will be an interesting day!

Anyone else still have leaking boobs? When does it stop? Haven't had this before.

#7 SarahVandooo

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Redmum77- I've seen that video before its very interesting me and hubby are testing it to see if Wendy does those cries.

Had my mch appointment today, Wendy is not gaining enough weight, she's only gained 430g in one month which is less than 15g a day ( should be 20+ a day ) so now were on a breast feeding plan, plus I need to increase my supply. So I've pretty much been in tears since my app at 2:30.

How am I supposed to make her eat more when she won't even go thru a 100ml bottle?!?!?! I even tried to do that plan when I went home. Feed- then top up with 60ml and she didn't even want any of the bottle!!!!

#8 Serapod

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hmmm, Sarahv. Perhaps call the ABA for some advice? Or try and get an appointment with a lactation consultant? They may have some advice for you...

Another thing you could try feeding her EBM first to see how much she takes...

Other than that, I don't really have any advice sad.gif Are you still able to get Wendy on your left side at all or are you exclusively pumping?

~~~~

Things with me are going well, but last night I think a duct has clogged up sad.gif I have an extremely tender bit on my breast, but no hard lump (feels like when I had mastitis the first time sad.gif ) So I'll have to get to the doctor today. I realised I've been exclusively expressing for 4 weeks now! Time has flown and it's been relatively easy. Surprisingly, my only hurdle has been physically breastfeeding Ezra! He is extremely well behaved! I can't remember if I mentioned, but I've managed to produce enough milk to drop the evening formula feed, and am only taking formula out if I'm not sure when I'll be home or near a refrigerator.

#9 SarahVandooo

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Serapod @ 02/05/2013, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, Sarahv. Perhaps call the ABA for some advice? Or try and get an appointment with a lactation consultant? They may have some advice for you...

Another thing you could try feeding her EBM first to see how much she takes...

Other than that, I don't really have any advice sad.gif Are you still able to get Wendy on your left side at all or are you exclusively pumping?

~~~~

Things with me are going well, but last night I think a duct has clogged up sad.gif I have an extremely tender bit on my breast, but no hard lump (feels like when I had mastitis the first time sad.gif ) So I'll have to get to the doctor today. I realised I've been exclusively expressing for 4 weeks now! Time has flown and it's been relatively easy. Surprisingly, my only hurdle has been physically breastfeeding Ezra! He is extremely well behaved! I can't remember if I mentioned, but I've managed to produce enough milk to drop the evening formula feed, and am only taking formula out if I'm not sure when I'll be home or near a refrigerator.

thanks Sera, I'am going to make an appointment with a LAC asap, I'am still expressing on the left side coz she still doesn't attach.
Primarily, feeds are coming from my right good breast, which has made me lopsided laugh.gif

the MHC nurse wants me to go on motilium ( which I started today ) thinking the issue is supply, but she didn't really listen to me when I tried to explain Wendy fighting not only on the boob but the botle aswell, 80ml is usually all I can get into her.

From now on I offer her the bottle first so atleast I know how much she's got.

Took her to the doctor to see if she's got reflux or something, he suspected it might be but didnt give her anything unsure.gif all he said was to offer her small feeds, which will not work on her, if i make her drink 40ml, burp, then try feed again, she more often than not chucks a hissy fit.

At my wits end...

Hope you don't have mastitis again Sera, iv'e always been terrified of getting it.
Well done on succesfully expressing and feeding Ezra EBM!! You've done so well and even tho its all in writing I feel that you are getting more confident!!

#10 Serapod

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

sarahv you are doing really well too trying to battle with Wendy for breast AND bottle! Did they give you any advice on how to get feed into her? can you try feeding her from a cup or syringe? It's so crap that most of us are having major issues with feeding our babies sad.gif Surely this should be the easiest thing, right?

Thanks for your encouragement, Sarahv, I really hope you don't get mastitis! It's awfully painful! Watch out for a very sore spot on your breast, any lumps, or fevers and chills like flu symptoms, if you have any of that, go straight to the GP and get antibiotics as that is most probably mastitis.

After this new mastitis, I really don't want to keep on going with EBM sad.gif It's just too hard. When it was goi ng well, it was really good and I'm happy, but now the pain is back, I feel I'm getting teary and depressed again, but now, I'm worried if I try and stop, this will keep happening!? Especially since I don't breastfeed and only use a manual pump, it's really concerning, and I wish my supply would drop.

I'm so tired of this sad.gif Having to spend time away from Ezra, not being able to comfort him when he is crying because I'm too busy pumping sad.gif But I don't know a way to stop! I wonder if there is a drug that will dry up the milk...

#11 mytimenow

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hi all,
For some reason I can't PM so can't send a msg to Lozdoodle about the FB group. But let's hope we can keep our group going here, it has be my savior reading that we are all going through the same thing.
On the advice of you all, I bought a humidifier for the room, bub has not been as congested and as a result is sleeping and feeding better. So thanks!
Has anyone used grow bags before for sleeping, if so when do you recommend transitioning? I have had to stop swaddling bubs arms, he would go to sleep and grissle and wiggle for up to an hour to get his arms out. I still wrap him but leave his arms free and he seems happier for it.
Hubby and I are discussing when bubs will move from the crib in our room to his room, but I am resisting because it is at the other end of the house and I can't bear the thought of him being so far away, but know I need to do it eventually.
To the ladies struggling with BF how it improves soon.

#12 redmum77

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Hi all,
I'm on my phone because the kids have claimed my iPad, grr.

SarahV it does sound like they weren't listening to you - I hope the lactation consultant does a better job. She may be tiring out before she is full? Is she unsettled generally or after a feed? Mine did this because my milk is so slow, the fell asleep often and just give up. I thought you were doing everything right, if it helps!

Serapod- your pumping achievement is huge! I don't blame you for getting frustrated with it. Can you reduce the time you pump for one session to reduce the milk slowly? I have no idea.

Mytimenow - I don't wrap dds arms in, she likes them out too. Sleep bags are great, use them as soon as you want I'd say!

Be back later

#13 SarahVandooo

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

thanks ladies, sera, i did ask for tips on how to get the extra milk into her, but she pretty much said "I don't know"
so no help there whatsoever.

redmum77- she is generally a very happy baby till i feed her, she'll drink her amount that she wants and if i try get more into her, she turns into a sooky baby.

She settles well, I just popped her into bed after she only drank 70ml and she fell right to sleep by herself..
so confusing.

I also got conflciting information from the doctor and the nurse. Nurse told me bub has to be having atleast 100ml.
Doctor told me maybe she just doesnt need much milk...

GAH!

I stopped wrapping wendy as the mhc nurse told me to, coz wendy is to active, she's just worried wendy will start rolling on her tummy anytime now. So now she's in her cute little cookie monster sleeping bag.

#14 redmum77

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Well the doctor has a point... And there is no good 'shoulding' a baby! I have read threads about babies who just don't want milk/food and how they have to eat high fat foods etc... Maybe search for poor weight gain? Or post a q.
How long after a 70ml feed would she be hungry again?

I did this as a baby, mum said, turned out I had giardia! So keep an eye on the weight.

#15 Clarial

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Redmum your comment that 3 can be easier than 1 baby at times really helped me - i have been telling myself that it should be so easy for me as i only have one but you lightened that guilt trip for me - thank you.

Ladies with feeding struggles im sending up a wish that things get sorted for you sooner rather than later. I hope stability is just around the corner, as it sounds like extra worry and stress that you just dont need. Hang in there - it sounds like you're doing the best you can to see to baby needs xxx

#16 BeccaBoo88

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hi all.

I was a part of the DIG but it kind of took a backseat when I couldn't keep up but am hoping to rejoin this group? original.gif

#17 Serapod

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Becca ofcourse! The more the merrier, everyone's separate journeys are so reassuring to read! Any information you'd like to share about the birth and your baby?

OMG THERE IS A DUE IN JAN 2014 GROUP!!

I hope all of you with unsettled babes that they start to calm down now they're nearing the 8 week mark. I heard 6-8weeks is the peak, and they should begin to be less unsettled.

Sarahv I hope you can find a way to get something in to her sad.gif You must be under so much stress. You're doing really well. Remember that!

Just so you ladies know, mastitis can change the composition of breast milk.. it can go (at later stages; green) thin and watery.
Last night, I had a terrible time expressing with my hand pump - which has served me so greatly for the past 7 weeks! I was freaking out about not being able to empty my breasts and I don't want Ezra anywhere near them, because, that boy MOOSHES bottle teats like nothing else! It's like when a straw is chewed! :/ And, I know babies clear breasts much better than anything, but I figure an electric hospital grade pump will be much much better than my hand pump.

So I found a website which delivers pumps to Melbourne Metro areas same day if ordered by 10:30am. So I got the Ameda Elite double electric pump for the next month. I think that as soon as I'm mastitis free I'll start weaning slowly while I have the electric pump to help, I think I'll stretch feeds longer. Currently doing 3-4hrly and I'll slowly increase the time between and then stop ASAP hopefully without another bout of mastitis sad.gif

Edited by Serapod, 03 May 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#18 redmum77

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Clarial, your welcome original.gif I thnk having just dd1 was the hardest time of my life. I find the busier I am the better I feel, less time to worry or be a perfectionist about things. One reason I had another baby is because I get bored and depressed when the kids are at their dads, I can't get motivated. It has worked, I'm getting things done for the first time in years (when the kids aren't here). Probably sounds weird to you guys... But I still find the days with just me and dd2 much harder than the days with all three! S if you are still struggling I'd suggest making some standing appointments (things you do on certain days at the same time, that you can't back out of) as it helps make your day about something other than feed/sleep/nappy etc. then it's easier to enjoy he quiet times too. But it depends on your personality really.

Beccaboo - nice to see you back! How are things going?

Serapod - the electric pumps are nice and easy. I read a fab post about how to make a bra hold them n place for you, by cutting a bit out for the tube. Then you can use your hands to hold a book or something else, sounded like a great idea.

Alexeen -  just on the off chance you are getting to read... I hope things are going well, and I hope your dd likes helping as much as mine does, 8is a great age to have a new little sister it seems.

I've survived having the kids all home sick this week! Well, DS was sick, dd was tired and so I just kept them both home yesterday. I was so tired by the end, with DS waking in the night, but we did it original.gif dd2 is sleeping a 5 hour stretch at night, I can hardly believe it. The other two weren't like this at all! I also believe its nothing to do with me, just pot luck what the babies are like really, when it comes to long sleeps etc.

We are going to tackle ikea today, how mad is that?

#19 Serapod

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

posted in MARCH DIG thread#30 also

Routines -

At my mothers group, they told us babies need to sleep in the same place for naps AND bedtimes so they get used to it. My son will sleep anywhere, at any time, so I'm not sure it's applicable to me.. but I do wonder if the older he gets the more aware he will be and will start to fight it, but since he just falls asleep... I don't know what to do. We have a double storey house with his room upstairs .. I guess we just have to bite the bullet and get a baby monitor I guess, since he is not a screamer....

Uneven breasts - my righty too is the over producer and faster let down; I can get anywhere between 80ml-110ml on that side and lefty is most always about 60ml give or take 10ml.

Overnight feeds - when did you drop them? Currently my son has been sleeping overnight since practically the night we came home from hospital so... around 7 weeks.. BUT I would wake at 3am-ish to feed him to get enough feeds in although great weight gains. Since I stopped BF and am now expressing full time, I do it every 3-4hrs round the clock.. so I am looking to drop the 3am express.

Does anyone have any advice for how to do that? What was it like when your babes stopped feeding overnight? Is there much engorgement/pain? Did they just wake later in the night? I think I'll call the ABA for advice...

Hopefully babies are getting a little older and easier to settle for you all.

Redmum, how are you going with your combined feeding? Is she getting nipple confusion or anything like that? how was Ikea?

#20 SarahVandooo

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

thanks for the words of encouragement girls, helps heaps, pretty much what im doing at the moment is just constantly feeding her but in small amounts, everynow and again she drinks heaps, 160ml yesterday, but today its just been no more than 50ml every hour, sleeps an hour then wakes up

serapod
- I also have the Ameda elite pump, they hire them out for free at our local MCHS centre, is sooo much better than the manual pump, I've worked out a way so that it sits there by itself and I can write on here lol

routines i have no routine whatsoever, coz she kind of cat naps it makes routine difficult, I dont know if thats bad or not  wacko.gif

I too just let Wendy sleep where she drops, considering how long it takes to put her to sleep sometimes im just gonna keep doing that til she starts moving, then she will be stuck in her cot

#21 Serapod

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Sarahv do you get a chance to go out and about with Wendy? It seems like what you're dealing with is very full on and I'd hope you won't get too isolated sad.gif Maybe one day we can meet up at Fountain Gate or something when we're more comfortable in our routines and less reliant on expressing milk.............

clarial my MCHN offers an extended midwife who can come to my house and help me if I need it. Last time when I made the emergency MCHN visit, she offered me her, she called me last week whilst my husband was home and I declined because I was feeling better, but, now.. with this mastitis.... >_<
Perhaps you can enquire about one for you for extra emotional support. Take care!

I really want to wean off expressing over the next month or so. I feel done. I'm tired of being stuck to a machine/pump unable to tend to my son when he needs me - or play with him in the off chances he's awake.... Plus.. I feel like I've done the best I want to. I've made peace with formula, I feel like right now, formula is better for me and my son as he becomes more aware and active, I want to interact wtih him, not a machine, and not only for bottle feed times sad.gif

Plus, I can feel the lowness creeping back in.

#22 Clarial

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Serapod i nearly croaked with envy when you said your son was sleeping through. My son is feeding at 1 or 2 am and again at 4 or 5am and then usually 7-8 am and although he usually drops back to sleep after the first early hours, the other two feeds he is hard to get back to sleep so it takes up alot of time making the feeds feel as though they are 5 mins apart!

This Thursday i will head to child clinic and weigh baby and try to stay around to meet mums who might be looking to connect - feels creepy a bit like trying to get a date! ha!  But nurse also said to ask at the next visit as she wanted to make another appointment for me to see how my mood is travelling. I talked to my sister today and she thought it sounded like normal adjustment to First time mothering - i tend to think and hope she is right - i am feeling improved in myself to where i was..

What is everyone planning for Mothers Day? this will be my first and im thinking i would like to ask DH for a one off cleaner to do a spring clean on the house so i can just maintain it (yeah right)
It seems that would be a big relief to stop wading through an inch of dust.

How did Ikea go Redmum?

Today we washed three sausage dogs and a car at the local DIY wash. stressful.  Then headed out to shops and i got some shoes so we can start hiking and burning some calories. DH and i have whacked on the weight (not helped by our stop at Hungry Jacks for lunch and pancakes with ice cream after dinner tonight!)

#23 redmum77

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:23 AM

I'm going to try to reply on my phone at 3am lol, might not make sense!

No nipple confusion between bf and bottle original.gif and the combined feeding is going fine. I have dd and dh to make bottles so I hardly ever even have to do that original.gif

Dd2 seems to know she just turned 6 weeks and had a mighty grizzly day! Oh well!

Sleeping - let them sleep wherever! I wouldn't stress over cot training at this age at all. You aren't doomed for letting them sleep near the noise and bustle, I think it's nice for them original.gif not lonely.

Clarial - you made me smile! You sound much better. The sleep situation you have going sounds very normal to me. Babies are all very different. Don't get fooled by the illusion of control - we aren't able to make them do everything we want. I loved that you bought walking shied then had take out lol!

Times up!

#24 Jayellebee

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

Hi ladies,

Has anyone you successfully made the transition from babies in your room in their bassinets to babies in their own room in their cots?

Ds is currently 9 weeks and goes to sleep easily after his bath, feed, bed routine at 7 pm and generally sleeps til 4am, wakes for a feed then sleeps til around 7am. I know I am fairly lucky to have a good sleeper so I don't want to wreck his routine by changing his sleeping environment but he is starting to bang his hands on the side of the bassinet.

Edited by Jayellebee, 06 May 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#25 redmum77

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Oh and I forgot - ikea was great! We got lots of things to organise the  Lego with, hahah, and dd had her first go in the pram. DH couldn't believe how people would stop and talk and say how cute she was, he was very proud. We only had one cry session in the car because the traffic was bad, but I don't blame her for getting frustrated lol.

Jellybean - dd has been in her cot since day one, I don't have a basinette... But I've only just left that room and started sleeping back in our room, I had to be sure she wouldn't choke before. I'd say give it a go, your bub can't stay in the basinette for ever. Try using the same blankets or smells somehow? Or lie bub on your tshirt or something to be reassuring?

I'm eating like a horse. Bf always takes me this way. I just can't seem to get enough calories to feel full half the time.. Anyone else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.