'out there' Money Saving / Budget tips

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#26 DM. 2012

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

I put all for my coins into a tin and when it's full (just over $200) I bank it. My husband still gets some of his pay put into the account that he when we met because it was linked to his car loan, the loan was paid off ages ago, when it gets up to $1000 I take it out and put it into our savings account.

Rather than wait for the phone and electricity accounts to arrive, I pay more manageable amounts to these each week, that way, when the bill comes it is really low, or sometimes in credit. The council in Brisbane has recently started using the same customer reference number on their bills (rather than changing it every time) and I'm going to call them to see if I can do the same with them too.

#27 FeralCountryEve

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Sounds silly, but I refuse to pay for parking. Won't work for everyone, but park somewhere free further away and be glad of the extra exercise. Those $$ per hour add up, when it's hours at work, uni or the shops.

#28 CallMeFeral

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (~~~ @ 06/05/2013, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone do the envelope money thing? You know, put the cash in an envelope for the week for groceries, coffee etc and that is the total budget for it? I use my card all the time, so was thinking that if I had the actual cash there, then it would make it more concrete for me, and I would be more careful with spending, as opposed to just putting it on EFT etc.

I used to, but I just do too much on cards and couldn't really make it work because of that. It's kind of annoying because on one side I like spending on cards because it gives me trackability of what I've spent, plus reward points, but the minus is it means I can spend beyond budget.
That said, the bit I always struggled with with the envelope thing was having it handy so as to spend from the right 'category' at the right time - i.e. if I went to the shops and bought grocieries out of my wallet, remembering to 'reimburse' myself from the envelope. I'm just too forgetful.

One good tip though (well I found it useful anyway) was to use a photo album instead of an envelope - you know one with the clear pockets. Meant I could have it all neatly stored in one place but still different compartments.

#29 twinboys

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

I reuse stamps that have not being postmarked on mail I receive
I soak them in water and carefully peel them off, then I glue them onto a new envelope when needed.

60 cents a stamp...Thank you very much!!
This saves me at least $50 each year in postage.

#30 Ashtonsmum

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I saved $500 over 12 months by putting all spare change in a tin. I also put any cash in there that I got from selling stuff on Facebook/Ebay.. This paid for the majority of my spending money when I went on a girls holiday to Bali.. I couldnt beleive how much there was in there original.gif

#31 Awesome101

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (twinboys @ 06/05/2013, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I soak them in water and carefully peel them off, then I glue them onto a new envelope when needed.

Hmm.. I think thats stealing...

#32 protart roflcoptor

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (heidi's mum @ 06/05/2013, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a bank account that does that little trick for me already. Every purchase etc that isn't a full dollar amount like $5.05  - it transfers the remainder of the dollar (95c) into a side savings account. Great little feature you're right it does build up quickly.

QUOTE (WinterDancesHere @ 06/05/2013, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if it's the one heidi's mum is using by St.George has an account that does this, (transfers the "change" into a savings account), it's called the Sense Account for anyone who is interested.

Oooo, I would be so interested in a bank account that does that automatically. I would start out with best intentions but be lax after a week or 2. So is it St George?

QUOTE (twinboys @ 06/05/2013, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that legal?? I guess if they haven't been postmarked it is???

#33 More than a Mother

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

I buy woolworths gift cards with my CC via the entertainment book at 5% off and use them to pay for groceries and petrol. We then get the air miles on the CC, which will pay for a flight back home next year.

#34 Perpetual

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (protart roflcoptor @ 06/05/2013, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oooo, I would be so interested in a bank account that does that automatically. I would start out with best intentions but be lax after a week or 2. So is it St George?

Yep St.George. I mistyped in my other reply which kind of made it make no sense.

Here is a link the the account info. You also get statements with spending breakdowns as part of it.

#35 protart roflcoptor

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (WinterDancesHere @ 06/05/2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep St.George. I mistyped in my other reply which kind of made it make no sense.

Here is a link the the account info. You also get statements with spending breakdowns as part of it.

Thank you  original.gif

#36 9ferals

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

We recently moved house and I found a tin filled with coins that I'd forgotten about. My husband took it to the bank and it was enough to pay the cleaner at the house we were leaving original.gif

Also, I've just started using an app called "Trackmyspend" which is making me much more aware if where my spending money goes - I wouldn't have said I waste much $$ on coffees, chocolate etc, but it really does add up!

#37 little bird

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Silverstreak, you've caught the transfer bug! My DH laughed at me when I first started doing this, and now raves to everyone about how well it works. Good luck whacking that credit card down!

#38 JJ

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

It's not that "out there", but when things are OK financially, I like to stock up on non-perishable things like toilet paper, tissues, toothbrushes, washing powder, cleaning products - it really makes a difference when things are tough... means I can just do a basic shop and not worry about buying these items for a while.

I also do the change jar... plus every now and then, when I feel I can "afford" it, I take a note ($5, $10 or $20) out of my wallet and put it away in a little piggy bank... it adds up nicely in there.

#39 Shary Bobbins

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I really want to do the envelope thing as I feel it is more effective when you are actually handing over actual cash to pay for things.  You 'feel' it more.  Being more tangible makes you more aware of your spending.

However, we collect the credit card points too as we use them for flights so I hardly ever pay in cash.

On a tangent, does anyone collect Virgin Velocity points vs Qantas FF?

We collect Qantas FF but goddamn it takes so many points to get any flights!  It's exorbitant!

#40 LittleListen

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Similar to JJ I buy my toothbrushes, toothpaste, big rolls of chux wipes (last for ages and we wash them for a second use), jif, bench spray and cleaning tools from the Hot Dollar store.

I stock up on non-perishables like cleaning cloths, face washers etc in the second week they are at Aldi - reduced prices if there are still stock left.

I also use cloth pads. They cost a bit in the start but I save $$ on them now that I have had them for a few years.  ph34r.gif

#41 ~She~

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

That transferring small change tip is great, I have just done that and got out a container to store our $5 notes in, thanks for this thread. biggrin.gif

#42 ~She~

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

That transferring small change tip is great, I have just done that and got out a container to store our $5 notes in, thanks for this thread. biggrin.gif

#43 sunshine_state

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Shop A Dockets!!  DH & I have a weekly "date" based on particular specials found on the back of our grocery docket.  It's made for some interesting "dates" haha.

Not very original but yes, we buy our laundry powder & toilet paper in bulk and we also have our own personal change jars.  

I used to be in the habit of buying my lunches but now I plan more of our meals and try to make things for dinners that can be leftovers for lunch the next day.  Saving heaps now.

#44 Ashtonsmum

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

you've just motivated me to start saving my change again.. went and bought some money tins after school pick up  biggrin.gif

#45 Perpetual

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thisi year my goal is to fund my wardrobe entirely through online surveys and loyalty program earnings. I've been using Reward Central, Pure Profile and Flybuys and so far so good.

Also not so out there but look at discount shops like The Reject Shop, Sams Warehouse etc for groceries. I buy pet supplies and laundry detergent from there all the time and also get things like noodles, chocolate, herbs and tinned stuff.

Edited by WinterDancesHere, 06 May 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#46 Snot stew

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Not really 'out there' either but if my groceries come in under budget I take the remainder (in cash) and actually stickytape it to the inside of my 'emergency fund' envelope.  I do this to prevent me from just sticking my hand in the envelope whenever, I use enough sticky that in order to retrieve even five dollars from it I have to destroy the whole envelope AND the item that the envelope is stuck to as well.  Bonus is that the change doesn't rattle, so unless you knew it was there, you'd have no idea.

#47 PatG

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

The money in the jar idea doesn't really work for me - I just don't get more cash out unless I've run out/almost run out so I spend the coins.  

We have a mortgage so I wouldn't do the envelope thing either as I know that money could be sitting on the mortgage and not getting charged interest until it is needed.

I do do the buy coles and woolworths gift cards from the entertainment book to buy groceries with (probably 60% of groceries are bought there) to get the 5% off.

I have tried but failed at meal planning  -  I find that I spend less if I meal plan in the shops.  I find what meats are on sale and base my meals around those items.

I always buy things like toilet paper when on special rather than waiting until I've almost run out and HAVE to buy it at what ever price it is at.  This works if you have a bit of storage space.

I have once done a "spend no money month" which meant that if it wasn't required e.g. a bill, petrol or basic food, it didn't get bought.  So the pantry was cleared out a bit and there were not really snacks/treats (unless I baked cake) and we didn't go out for dinner or buy clothes etc.  I realise that we are lucky we don't need to live like that all year but it was good to make up for a couple of earlier months that seemed to be quite expensive.

#48 JustOneMorePlease

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

I have started a new savings plan this year. I started the first week of the year and am saving a dollar for every week. By this I mean week 1=$1.00 week 2=$2.00 week 3=$3.00 etc... By Christmas I should have over $1000 saved!

#49 kabailz13

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (twinboys @ 06/05/2013, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is illegal. As a side note, it is also part of the reason why Australia Post needs to keep upping their prices!

We menu plan most of the time, been lazy with it lately but going to do a plan tonight original.gif

We stretch our meals - add lentils, legumes, vegies.

We use cheap laundry powder - $6.75 for 3kg and often make my own laundry liquid when the mood strikes (works out to around $0.02 per load for homemade)

I buy clearance items - including meat. I usually save at least 40% doing this.

I leave our suburb to grocery shop in lower socio-economic areas to save money. Driving 10mins saves me around $50-100 a fortnight easily!!

I buy clothes for my kids and myself from op shops, clearance racks etc. When I find REALLY good clearance prices, I stock up for the next year. I did this when the twins were little as Target had some AWESOME clearance prices and the stuff I bought will last them this winter as well.

I buy 'presents' when they are marked down and store them in our present box to be gifted when needed - saves the last minute dash to the store and saves money too!

I cut my children's hair myself. DH either gets his done at the hairdresser next to the gym for $10 or I do it with the clippers.

I dye my hair myself.

#50 Lees75

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

For everyone wanting to try envelope budgeting, but can't because of card use, frequent flyers, etc, there is a really awesome program called YNAB (you need a budget), that is a virtual envelope system.  It is unbelievably brilliant!  Basically the premise is that you give every dollar a job, as soon as you get paid.  

So the $5 or gold coin idea doesn't work because you wouldn't have a note or coin in your purse that didn't already have a job assigned to it. But, it gives you amazing control over your money and helps you save.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.