Prams, Cots and all the fun stuff
What is everyone buying pros/cons etc.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 MelbMom

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hi ladies... this week I went to my first trip into a baby store to check out prams, cots, car seats etc. as well as starting to compare prices online.

For prams, initially I went in to look at the iCandy Strawberry, Bugaboo Cameleon 3, Steelcraft Compact strider and anything else...    I left there with more options! I ruled out the Steelcraft as it was very large (and the store clerk wasn't a fan) but did like the look of the ICandy Peach 2 and Bugaboo Donkey which can be expanded for a second child..

The Cameleon I do like and my SIL raves about her but it doesn't expand to a second seat (but does allow you to add a skate attachment). The Donkey is nice but is very wide and I wonder if it would be silly/awkward pushing something around when I only have 1 child (but it makes a handy shopping cart original.gif.

The peach blossom is a compact tandem and so far seems the front runner but I wonder if by the time #2 comes along, #1 will be a toddler and may not want to sit in a pram and would rather walk and stand on a skate attachment which it seems the iCandy does not sell. The store clerk really was a fan of the iCandy Peach and was suggesting this was more suitable.

I guess where I am stuck is whether I really need to buy a pram with the double flexibility. I am preg with #1 but know that I would like to have #2 straight away so it makes sense to consider the future flexibility.  

What do you ladies think?

#2 familyoffour

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

I bought a bugaboo bee and have number 2 due shortly. As DS will only be 20 months I'm now going to go and buy the donkey duo. I really wish I had bought it to begin with ( I didn't realise they made them). My thinking us, while my son still goes in a pram now, probably won't for long so I like that I can convert it back to a single pram when that happens...

#3 MelbMom

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (familyoffour @ 29/05/2013, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought a bugaboo bee and have number 2 due shortly. As DS will only be 20 months I'm now going to go and buy the donkey duo. I really wish I had bought it to begin with ( I didn't realise they made them). My thinking us, while my son still goes in a pram now, probably won't for long so I like that I can convert it back to a single pram when that happens...

Hi - congratulations on #2!  

Can I ask what made you decide on the Donkey vs. other options?

#4 BrookeAry

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

I would get a cheap single pram and spend the money on a good one if and when you know number 2 is on the way. A good pram is much more important when you have more than 1 and so much depends on the age gap. You may not get pregnant again for a couple of years, you may get pregnant right away, you may have twin as 2 and 3. It's way to hard to plan. Just get a cheapy now so you don't feel silly when you have to get anoter one when number 2 arrives....like I did.

#5 familyoffour

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Honestly, I love my current bugaboo so much I'm happy to buy another and  don't like the double prams where the baby is squished underneath looking at the back of the toddler seat (although I'm sure the baby wouldn't even notice  original.gif

But that's all just my personal preference.

For what it's worth - I bought a cheap three wheeler when I was pregnant with the first and probably only used it three times before I cracked it and went and spent the money on a better pram. It's one of the things worth spending on in my experience, you use them so much...

Best of luck with your pregnancy!

#6 kkbelle

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

I have a Donkey. It works equally well with 1 or 2 kids - my girls like putting their teddy in the basket next to them. I have a 19 month gap and will have a 22 month gap. In single mode it is no wider than many other single prams (same width as the cammy). I bought it a few months before DD2 arrived so I could get used to it before taking a newborn around and it was just lovely to push. It is a bit trickier in double mode but I find a side by side easier to manouver than a longer pram.

I know some people like the compact options like the phil & teds but I wouldn't do that with my gap - if my girls are in the pram they're there for a long time and they like to see what's going on. I could see it for a larger gap.

I have a friend who has a cammy with a skateboard attachment and it works awesomely for her two, but my elder bub was too scared to ride on it when DD2 was born so I'm so glad I got my donkey.

#7 FeralSis

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Another who suggests buying a good single pram for the one baby on board now.

What suited me was a three wheeler pram with pump up tyres and bassinet for walking and a Maclaren Techno for shopping, car based trips, public transport etc.

In my nearly 16 years experience as a parent there is no 'perfect' pram or stroller.

They all have their pros and cons which is why I ended up with both from the start!

With this baby due in November I am looking at a side by side double for him or her and big sister who will have just turned 2 when baby is born.

I am also another who is not a fan of the squashed second child in Phil & Teds, Stryder etc. The thing is you will still need a single even if you need a double. There will be times where you only have one child in tow and of course the older child will outgrow the double eventually as well.

FTR, I saw a Donkey in single mode at the shops today and to be honest the extra width is not something I would want when only one child is on board.

#8 Bugster

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

I love the bugaboo cam. I just got rid of my double (bjcs) as my older two happily walk and we are getting the bugaboo cam with a skateboard just in case the others need a lift.

#9 Bugster

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

I love the bugaboo cam. I just got rid of my double (bjcs) as my older two happily walk and we are getting the bugaboo cam with a skateboard just in case the others need a lift.

#10 MelbMom

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have broadened my search to re-look at all the good quality single strollers that I like but many of them are only marginally cheaper than the iCandy Peach (i.e. $999 for single use option)

I just saw online that there is a Bugaboo Buffalo coming out in July 2013 which is like the Cameleon 3 but with all-terrain tyres and you can fold it with the seat unit attached. It's a single pram option and no discount prices yet being a new model.

Silver Cross are reasonably priced single pram options around $599-900 but I haven't road tested any of these yet.

I am still leaning towards an iCandy Peach or one of the Bugaboos but I still have 5 months before bub arrives so plenty of time to make up my mind !

#11 Bugster

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Just saw you want a double. Sorry.

Honestly I bought a single pram for my first, planning on having another right away. Was such a waste of money, it was a great pram but with only 17months between 1 & 2 I wish I had not listened at all the advice not to get a double and just bought one straight up. The donkey can be used as a single seater, mountain buggy duet is very similar to the donkey but slightly narrower I believe (and way cheaper new)

#12 April2608

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi
I have been offered a second hand cot and matching change table for $100. Which is a good price going by gumtree.

I have also been offered a cot for free.

My question is do I need the chance table?

I can't use the top of my chest of draws as a change table as it's to tall.

Thanks

April

#13 bjk76

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (April2608 @ 29/05/2013, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
I have been offered a second hand cot and matching change table for $100. Which is a good price going by gumtree.

I have also been offered a cot for free.

My question is do I need the chance table?

I can't use the top of my chest of draws as a change table as it's to tall.

Thanks

April

Hi April,

I initially didn't get a change table, as Mum didn't use one - just a padded change mat which she put on the table or floor when needed, or she'd change my sister on the bed. We put the change mat on the dining table for the first couple of months. I'd had an emergency C-section, so bending wasn't that easy. Our dining table ended up being half taken over by the change mat, nappies, wipes, nappy rash cream and it kind of felt like it was taking over our life! It was much better when we got a change table and put it in the bedroom. Having said that, newborns need so many nappy changes and we spent most of our time in the lounge/dining room area that it was very convenient having the change stuff there and not in the bedroom. Anyway, overall, I'd recommend getting one.

#14 TBen

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

I've got my eye on a baby jogger city select with the option to add a second seat when we get to number 2. My friend with twins has one and loves it, and I really like the seat combinations you can do with the second seat, not just tucking one in behind another seat. It doesn't seem that much bigger than a regular pram, but I haven't compared in store, just checking out the prams I see in the city!

I definitely want one I can add a seat to - we aren't planning a long gap and I don't think I could deal with a toddler board on the back because I have a dodgy back from a car accident years ago and I think reaching further ahead and walking with a shorter stride would probably cause me problems.

#15 Joan10

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

We purchased the Bugaboo Chameleon just cos I found it light and easy to manoeuvre. I was initially going to use the strider plus so the capsule could be used too, but I found it really heavy compared to the bugaboo cam.

Plus, I adore how the cam looks!

We got it on layby so we will pick it up once I'm about 6 months or so.

In terms of carseat, we got a safe and sound meridian thats good from newborn to 4 years old. The convertible type. But since we have two cars, we'll also purchase another capsule so we can use the capsule to carry the baby when we need to go out and dont need the stroller. I dont believe you can pull out the convertible capsule hehe.

#16 erinmac

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

HI cmss - pram selection is HARD!!! The problem is we all have different things we are looking for in a pram. Remember what it is that YOU want/need and go from there.

When we purchased our first pram I had sales assistants that didnt like it so tried to talk me out of it - and in fact were trying to convince me to go with prams that didnt meet my crietria at all! Sometimes I wonder if a few of them get commissions from selling certain brands.

You should try to think of what you will use it for the most, what you really want in a pram, and go from there. You may find that some of the things that bothers others, arent a problem for you and vise versa.

As a guide my list of criteria was:

1. It needed to stand tall (i have seen some prams that when the bassinet option was on for newborns the mums were bending over very low to pick up their babies). I am a tall person, so I didnt want to feel as though I was breaking my back each time I put bubs in and out
    2. I needed strong, sturdy wheels - I knew that I would go for a lot of walks on gravel paths, I didnt want flimsly wheels that would vibrate every bump upto bubs
    3. Four wheels - it really is each to their own on whther you get three or four wheels, I personally, dont like three wheel prams, I just never felt they were as sturdy and safe as a four wheeled - but this is my personal feeling...
    4. It needed a big basket to carry stuff. I knew that when I did go shopping/to markets/out and about I would want to store stuff in the basket - it needed to be large and accessible. (and I do use it ALL the time!)
    5. I wanted the canopy to extend low so that I could block a lot of sun without having to put on a shade cover
    6. I wanted it to fold easy with minimal steps - some I tried to fold it felt like I was breaking the pram in half!!

What I didnt care about:
  • Width - honestly I know what types of shops I go into and there are not a whole lot that have tight aisles. When I have the pram shopping I am doing some small groceries (would use a trolley for bigger ones) and go to department stores
  • Colour - wasnt a huge thing for me, certainly wasnt going to be a deciding point for me
    Weight - whilst I didnt want a hugely heavy pram I didnt have a problem carrying a pram with a bit more weight than others in it

Other things to think about:
  1. If you want one that has the option of two think realistically about their being two bubs in there. I have seen some double prams that when you have both seats laying flat one babys legs would be kicking the others head/back as the front seat leant into the back seat. My son always had his legs kicking madly away!
  2. Also look at the rain cover options when two are in  - again it depends on what you will use the pram for, but if a rain cover only works with the seats in certain positions it can be frustrating if you are caught out
  3. Decide if you want it to be suitable for newborns without an a bassinett attachment or not - sometimes a bassinett attachment can be $100+ so worth factoring in when looking at the price.
    Make sure it fits in your car original.gif

Sorry if I have bombarded you with info overload. I just wanted to stress how much we are all very different in our needs and I dont think you should get swayed too much by a sales assistant. They are great for advice, but know what you want and what you are willing to be lenient with.

And April I second getting a change table!! Whilst we will change our son on the couch/floor/table if convenient, a change table is a great place to have things stored, it is a life saver on your back, and if in bubs room is very convenient when they wake in the night original.gif

#17 April2608

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi,
So we went to a baby shop today, had a look at Prams.
Got shown 2.
One that has 2 movement fold eg the seat comes off then you fold the frame.
The second 1 movement fold, grab a strap in the middle of the seat and it all collapses.

Just want to hear pro and con from people who has used them before?

April

#18 bree18

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi April
I have a baby jogger city mini pram and love it. It has the one step fold where you just pull the strap in the middle and it folds in half. It's light also. But... It has a small basket which can be annoying and while its ok for walking in shopping centres and even pavements, if they had the GT model out when I brought the pram I would have got it as the wheels are better.
Honestly no pram is perfect. I agree with PP that you need to make a list of what you want and what isn't as important in a pram.

I also think a change table is great. I didn't have one with my DD1 but did with DD2 and it made my life easier.

Edited by bree18, 02 June 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#19 MelbMom

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi everyone thanks for your tips, advice and suggestions etc.

Just wanted to let you know that I decided to buy an iCandy Peach pram and actually have already got it at home now and set up original.gif  I've also bought a cot and change table and will pick up when it arrives.

The store owner also said that he would start my pram warranty from the due date - not sure if he can - but I will have to trust him.

I had planned to buy all in a couple months closer to the due date but mum wanted to buy them for me and didn't want me stressing or going from store to store when I was much bigger so she bought it for me as a present now (thanks mum!) - I definitely feel much more relieved now that I have less to do and I'm excited to start setting up the room.

Everything else like car seat etc. I will get closer to the date and as my MIL/friends/rellies say, leave something for them to buy original.gif

Hope you are all going well with your purchases ..

Edited by MelbMom, 10 June 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#20 Love_Evie

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have the chameleon for our first and have now bought the mountain buggy duet since we are expecting our second with 2.5 years apart. I exercise a lot usually and we live quite close to shops, parks, shopping centres and my gym/pool so we will be using our double a lot for getting around generally.
Chameleon is a great pram generally but it's very average for walking outside with. It's very easy to manoeuvre which is a downside on pavement as the foot path slopes and then the pram goes off a little. It has a great storage basket underneath and I love that baby faces you. We bought the footboard for my nephew to use with us and it is pretty useless unless your in a flat shopping centre. You also need to stand really far back to use it and raise the handle bar quite high. Fine if your tall. No good if your average or small like me.
As for the option of a double it depends on your first child's temperament, age gap and what you plan to do with your pram. Lots of kids refuse prams after about 2. Boys generally want to walk more than girls. If your planning on just using the pram for shopping trips then its easier to have the second baby in the pram and the older child walking with you. If you plan on doing lots of walking to shops, playgroup etc I would recommend a jogger type such as a mountain buggy or baby jogger. The wheels are better for outdoors.  If you really want to go the bugaboo route I would go for a chameleon since you don't know yet the age gap and if your first child will every want to sit in a pram when the second comes.  Good luck!

#21 Lime-Polka-Dot

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'm really fortunate that my between my 2 S.I.L's. that have 3 children and a good friend who has finished having children, I've been offered a bassinette that all 4 cousins will have used, so thats a nice family thing I think.. I've also been offered a pram, bouncer, swing and a few other great things. I have put a change mat & bath and a few clothing basics on lay-by. The big things we will still have to buy is the car seat and eventually a cot.

#22 MelbMom

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Peppermint~Velvet @ 11/06/2013, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm really fortunate that my between my 2 S.I.L's. that have 3 children and a good friend who has finished having children, I've been offered a bassinette that all 4 cousins will have used, so thats a nice family thing I think.. I've also been offered a pram, bouncer, swing and a few other great things. I have put a change mat & bath and a few clothing basics on lay-by. The big things we will still have to buy is the car seat and eventually a cot.

Wow you are so lucky wink.gif  Unfortunately none of my close friends have had babies yet.

#23 Lime-Polka-Dot

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've decided I'm going to need a better pram for day to day use than the one I have. I've also decided I want to go for a capsule that can go from the car onto the pram whilst baby is newborn.. I've been looking online and in a few stores and like the Valco Zee Swift pram and the Safe n sound unity capsule.. has anyone had experience with either?

#24 April2608

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi
I got my pram and ordered my car seat on the weekend.
Bit earlier then I had planed but I got such a great deal I could not resist.

I went to the pregnancy, baby and child expo in Perth  on Saturday, and saw the pram I wanted for $100 off, normally $700 but for the expo $600 with extra 6 months warranty and free head and body support mat.
I had a chat to the lady, she said there would be no problem with laybying the pram and collecting closer to the DD, so I went on looking through the expo, when I was ready to leave I call back to layby the pram. The colour I wanted was out of stock and would not be available until November, so in theory that's find depending on when in November, as I'm due early November, and it also depends on DS getting the notes and coming on time :smile:
So she offered me the one on floor stock at an extra $100 if I took it that day, so what would have been a $700 pram I got for $500, and as it had an extra 6 months warranty anyway. I figured it meant I wasted 3 months but got warranty until DS is 15 months anyway.

The car seat when I chatted to them they said it had to be taken on that day and no layby’s would be accepted and once they sold out that was it, it was also $100 off and comes with a 10 yr warranty anyway so I had no real concern with that, so again at the end of the day I went back to see them and intended to take the car seat with me, but when I spoke to them, they only had one colour left, so were in fact taking layby, and expect the car seat to be available in September. :smile:

I ended up with
Pram: Valcon Reble Q Air $503
Car seat: InfaSecure Luxi Caprice $319

April

Edited by April2608, 12 August 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#25 ~elle~

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Anyone going to hire / buy a capsule ????

I'm considering a hire option but don't know which one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.