Public- Mercy Heidelberg or Mercy Werribee?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Nikkki

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

First timer:

Mercy Heidelberg 20 mins drive
No guarantee on own room

Mercy Werribee - 45 mins drive
Guaranteed own room, hubby can stay.. Is it worth the drive?

3. Any other recommendations

#2 Nikkki

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

+ any experiences on emergency c-sects or complications welcome to ad to help me decide!

#3 akkiandmalli

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

You maybe out if the zone to get into werribee

Forgot to add I had all my babies at mercy Heidelberg and they are fantastic

#4 Nikkki

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Edited by bianks, 02 June 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#5 fleeting

I had two emergency c-sections at Heidelberg that were fantastic but I shared a room and hubby couldn't stay, so the next time I did go st v's private so he could.

#6 Ali-Nan Plum Jam

I went to the birth centre at Mercy Heidelberg for my DD this year. Amazing. We had our own room as you give birth and stay in the one room. The staff and experience was amazing.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Where do you live OP ? Are you actually in zone for either of these hospitals?

The Werribee Mercy does not guarantee single rooms either sad.gif

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (bianks @ 30/05/2013, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm zoned for both - I checked original.gif

How is that OP?

#9 Nikkki

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 30/05/2013, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is that OP?

I called and thought I asked werribee but I got it wrong, I'm not zoned but I am for Heidelberg ! Doh!   Werribee have only single rooms - spewing I can't stay as I think they could be just about the only public with single rooms who encourage fathers to stay too!!!!

Edited by bianks, 02 June 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

But where is your residential address?

The Werribee Mercy serves south western Melbourne and The Mercy Heidelberg the north eastern.
Neither guarantee private rooms either, not even if you are going as a private patient so if it is a private room you are wanting you may have to look elsewhere.

#11 littlepoppet

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

What about Royal Women's? You'll get your own room, but partners can't stay.

#12 Nikkki

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 30/05/2013, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But where is your residential address?

The Werribee Mercy serves south western Melbourne and The Mercy Heidelberg the north eastern.
Neither guarantee private rooms either, not even if you are going as a private patient so if it is a private room you are wanting you may have to look elsewhere.

One house in northern, the other house around north western
I have checked with them both
And mercy werribee will do my own room I asked them
Mercy Heidelberg WON'T BUT- they are closer to home
I don't know If it's worth the drive to werribee???

QUOTE (littlepoppet @ 30/05/2013, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point then, does this put them in front of mercy Heidelberg then???

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (bianks @ 30/05/2013, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One house in northern, the other house around north western
I have checked with them both
And mercy werribee will do my own room I asked them
Mercy Heidelberg WON'T BUT- they are closer to home
I don't know If it's worth the drive to werribee???

I am sorry but Werribee Mercy may have misinformed you. They have double rooms and single rooms, you are more likely to get a single room if you go there as a private in public but it is not guaranteed, it is the same at The Mercy Heidelberg.

I would not book a public hospital bed thinking you will get a single room unless that is all that they have because you may be disappointed.

Are you due in March? I thought you hadn't conceived yet ( as in your other thread) so you still have time to establish whether you are going to utilise the private system and ensure you have obstetric cover and then you will most probably get a single room

#14 Just the two of us

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

It's very hard to get into Werribee even if you are zoned. I can't even count the number of people who have tired to book in very early into their pregnancy but have been told that the hospital is full. My cousin tried at 5 weeks and she was told no.

#15 Just Another Cat

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

I had both mine at Werribee Mercy. It's a great hospital. But, there is a huge demand in the area so you might not even get in.

I had my own room for both births. With DD I gave birth, then stayed in the same room for the rest of my stay. At the time they also had shared rooms, which are mostly used for  c-section patents.

With DS, a new maternity ward had been built. I gave birth in the old ward and then was moved to a private room in the new section. As far as I know they only have private rooms in the new section. If you've had a c-section, I'm not sure if they'll put you in a private room or if they still use the old shared rooms for this.  

The clinic there is really good too, but I found it was better in the early days when you got to see the OB more. Anyway, it's a great hospital with lovely midwives.

#16 TheFirstNoel

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

I have heard good & bad about werribee.  It can book out very very fast (GP said no chance I would have gotten in when I found I was pregnant at 10 weeks, good think I wanted to go to Sunshine instead!), and being that busy - I wouldn't be banking on getting a private room.

#17 Nikkki

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (littlepoppet @ 30/05/2013, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good suggestion and hubby not fussed but I think it's important to find a place he's welcome to stay as well.its his child and both mother and baby deserve father company and support and the opportunity to learn as well.
It's not wonder with hospitals like this one people thing is the "woman's job"?!

#18 lexington

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

If your own room is so important what about north park private like stbg who knows the system suggests. They look like hotel rooms (sort of) and have double beds.

Quite frankly with the first one hubby stayed till 9.30/10 and not much learning happens after this.. And then he's back first thing in the morning at 7 or 8. My husband is sure as heck bonded with the boys. It's more important after you go home what happens. I just stayed the minimal and ran as fast as they can discharge me. Staying in hospital is so annoying.

Edited by lexington, 02 June 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#19 snortle

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hi OP
Perhaps you should ask mods to move this to a more relevant section original.gif
For me looking back having my DH stay was not important at all. He should be able to stay as late as he likes an then go home for a sleep and come back first thing in the morning at worst.

#20 Nikkki

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

You'd be surprised, call werribee and see for yourself the room setup original.gif
Heidelberg will only just take us. We are in north. Should be going to northern but Heidelberg said should be ok- and I think after the stories I'd rather birthing in the garage at home over northern.
I think plan is, if I don't get pregnant soon ill be off to north park as a private but only took out the cover nearly 2 weeks ago
I know it'll come quick but obviously not only does it cost so much but I am so clucky I don't want to wait that long.
If it happens Earlier well hopefully then I have Heidelberg to fall back on and too bad hubby can't stay with me:(

Edited by bianks, 02 June 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#21 Goggie

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

At Mercy Heidelberg they have a few partner rooms but you need to have a straightforward birth with no epidural or c section to be considered, plus it depends if they are full. I was offered the double room but I declined! We have dogs so we would have had to get someone to take them for a few days and honestly it was easier for my DH to stay til about 9-10pm, go home and get a good nights sleep and be back at 8-9am the next day. No point both of us being tired and sleep deprived!

You are only in public for 48 hours unless you have a c section so don't put too much pressure on yourself trying to find the 'best' partner room. You need your partners support more once you're at home and there are no midwives available when you press your call button!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.