Parent's Group: Born in May 2013

• Please log in to reply
804 replies to this topic

#51 MrsLexiK

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Daisy - yay to getting some good techniques hope you get some sleep tonight!

Glixxie if you can pop into your GP or see the OB to get them to look at it, it shouldn't be bleeding they may have missed a tiny spot when they closed?

Son1stmum my DS has reflux. He does spit ups which don't really bother him but he does massive vomits with force that do bother him. Durning at least two feeds a day he spent most of the time squirming and arching his back, he started to refuse feeds and only drink 40-70 mls we were lucky to get 90mls into him. He would also scream when you put him down and woul cry from about 5-9.30 then 3-7 and if you were not holding him from 7-5 durning the day he would cry as well. But he would sleep for one stretch.  He also reswallows and hiccups a lot. If you are worried speak to your GP or paed. The paed put DS on a combination of mylanta and Zantac. Eta: she kept him on the thickner and the brand of formula.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 19 June 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#52 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Thanks mrslexik she has only vomited a few times but I think that was because she over ate. That has helped tremendously thankyou. I am seeing chn today so hopefully she can confirm that for me and I can relax. huh.gif

#53 butterflyme

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hi there ladies...
Do you mind if I join in here - my bub was born in April but the April ladies have all but disappeared :-( ??  It would be nice to chat to new mums going through similar things

#54 nic_j_r

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hey Guys
I followed along with the due in May group towards the end when i was on maternity leave, but never really posted - but loved hearing all of your arrival stories and the could relate so well to those that were waiting. My baby girl was due 25 May and finally made an appearance 31 May (we just made it in with a May baby - thank god - in my head i was having a May baby couldn't get my head around the idea of June original.gif

So far we are doing really well... i think i have been really lucky with a bub that so far isnt all that fussy, feeds really well (EBF) and sleeps for 3-4 hr blocks at night.... i am really hoping nothing is about to change on me.

I have gone against all advice from midwives and am using a dummy - this is a magical device that calms her instantly. I do feel a little guilty using it as so many people told me not to - but it works! Is anyone else out there using a dummy. The main reason against it seems to be can cause nipple confusion, but doesnt appear to be an issue.

Hopefully i can be more active in this group, rather than just lurking in the backgrounds

#55 purple_daisy

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (nic_j_r @ 20/06/2013, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Guys
I have gone against all advice from midwives and am using a dummy - this is a magical device that calms her instantly. I do feel a little guilty using it as so many people told me not to - but it works! Is anyone else out there using a dummy.

Hi Nic on the advice of the nurses at the clinic we have just bought a dummy for DD as she wants to constantly comfort suck. She would really empty both sides (which is impressive as I'm a DD cup with over supply - eg express 100ml in 8 mins!) then still just be trying to suck on her wrap or arm or anything in reach.  We popped a dummy in for the first time yesterday, she sucked it for two minutes after her feed then went sound asleep and the dummy just falls out unnoticed.  We have made a strict rule that the dummy is never to come out of the cot, and is only to be used to calm her down if she is unsettled in bed, not as an all-day type of thing.  I think so long as you are still able to feed properly and have the correct sized dummy it can't be that bad. Plus our older DD is a thumb sucker, which is going to be much harder to break off than simply using a dummy for a few minutes at bed time.

Son1 my eldest had silent reflux so there wasn't much vomiting, but the telltale signs are like MrsLexi said - lots of distressed squirming and arching during feeds more than just the normal "I've got a bit of wind" type moving that most bubs do, sometimes she would come off crying or squealing. When we laid her down after a feed she was impossible to settle and would cry for hours, you could hear her burping into her mouth and reswallowing which usually was followed by lots of crying. We had to hold her upright all day and sometimes through the night too. If this sounds familiar, go see a paed for assessment as we found the medication helped within a few weeks, and it was awful to think we'd waited two months and DD had been in pain that whole time.

Hi Butterfly and DG22, great to see you.

#56 yoohooyou

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

I have also introduced the dummy the last couple of days and it has made all the difference. DS is a comfort sucker and basically sucks the dummy for about five minutes and nods off to sleep, its a godsend at night and a great re-settling tool.

DD had a dummy which never left her bedroom. She had it until she turned 2 and then we gave it to Santa. The lactation consultant at the hospital said there was no problems with the dummy until they start to associate it as a sleep aid at around 5 months and in some cases it can actually teach tiny babies how to suck properly from the breast.

To those EBF, I am about to ask a silly question, but bare with me - does this mean that you don't put your little one's on the boob at all and if so, does this affect your supply? I am loving my 60/40 EBF and formula regime at the moment and would like to continue with it, but wasn't sure about the no boob thing...  

#57 nic_j_r

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the comments re dummy - purple_daisy i am the same, slight oversupply issue and bub will drain both boobs at times and still be happy to suck, but not hungry. The dummy is all we needed to settle her to sleep, and like you, she spits it out or i take it away once calm. I am slowly feeling less guilty about its use - it really is a magical calming and resettling device original.gif

#58 SFML

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm another pro dummy.  I just watch how often / when I give it to her - I use it between feeds but no longer to get her to sleep as she started waking and crying because she had spat it out so I was up and down the hallway in the night popping it back in...  
Scutterbug re EBF I was advised that you need to express as much as you would if feeding exclusively if not more including expressing overnight - do it every 3-4hrs - to maintain supply.  Combo of nursing and expressing should equal at least the amount of feeds you would normally do.  I have been trying to get my milk supply back up for 4 weeks with motillium and expressing about 5 times a day but not overnight which the hospital nurse advises why my supply won't return (I'm sceptical on that comment) - I'm now "weaning" off expressing as my supply is not returning and I can't sustain doing the bottle sterilising and the feeding and the time to express.  I think for everyone it is different.  If you notice your supply dropping off probably best to up the expressing.  MHN advised to do shorter runs to assist in let down when expressing so I alternate 5min on each side x 3,  does help some.  No boob here as she hates it which is probably some of the supply issue as bubs are way more effective at getting the milk than breast pumps
That's great on the clinic purple daisy.  Best of luck to you DG22,  hope your feeding issues settle and you get some sleep and bounce back.  Welcome to all the newbies and may DIG lurkers waves.gif .  The sun is out in Melbourne this arvo so taking advantage to take little miss out for a walk, so preferred to the scheduled grocery shopping - shall just take advantage of the end of nap time to hang out the washing and wash her bottles.

#59 DG22

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

I think I'll get DD a dummy original.gif just Incase

#60 butterflyme

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

My DS has a dummy - he was actually given one when he was in the Special Care Nursery... I withheld for a couple of weeks, but it came out when we were having some shocking sleepless nights.  Like others have said, he usually spits it out or it falls out during sleep & hasn't been an issue when he wakens, only if it happens before he actually falls asleep if that makes sense.  original.gif

#61 South Coast

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Using a dummy here too...  biggrin.gif

#62 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (nic_j_r @ 20/06/2013, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Guys
I followed along with the due in May group towards the end when i was on maternity leave, but never really posted - but loved hearing all of your arrival stories and the could relate so well to those that were waiting. My baby girl was due 25 May and finally made an appearance 31 May (we just made it in with a May baby - thank god - in my head i was having a May baby couldn't get my head around the idea of June original.gif

So far we are doing really well... i think i have been really lucky with a bub that so far isnt all that fussy, feeds really well (EBF) and sleeps for 3-4 hr blocks at night.... i am really hoping nothing is about to change on me.

I have gone against all advice from midwives and am using a dummy - this is a magical device that calms her instantly. I do feel a little guilty using it as so many people told me not to - but it works! Is anyone else out there using a dummy. The main reason against it seems to be can cause nipple confusion, but doesnt appear to be an issue.

Hopefully i can be more active in this group, rather than just lurking in the backgrounds

Hi ladies
My DD was a nightmare to settle. While I was still trying to breastfeeding she also sucked for comfort which contributed to my severely damaged nipples, hence my now bottle feeding, even on the bottle she would be hard to settle after a feed. We tried the avent dummies she spat them right out. I assumed she didn't want the dummy. I resigned to continue thinking that I was doing a bad job as a mum as my baby would never settle. One day she was so full on I had decided to try the dummy again but this time chose the cheaper dummies happy baby everyone seemed to rave about. It was magic much more settle instantly. Happy baby happy mum. Until the next battle basically if the dummies are working for you don't feel bad or guilty. If your little one enjoys it its prob a comfort to them, the lady I spoke to at tresillian asked if my DD would suck her hands while in the womb, I remember going to ultrasounds and seeing her hand in her mouth. The lady on the phone said that was my answer, it was a comfort to her. Go back and look at your ultrasound pics and they might make you feel better. As for development I also work in childcare and a dummy will only do damage as they get older. So at this age don't worry about it.

#63 purple_daisy

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm surprised how common dummies are, but good to hear they are helping so many of us!

Gixxie did you see a doc about the scar yet? I'm worried about the bleeding aspect.

AFM I've come down with a head cold and am surprised how few things I'm able to take while breastfeeding. Unfortunately DD sounded quite congested when feeding overnight so I really hope she doesn't get sick and get thrown off her feeding now we are going so well.

#64 MrsLexiK

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Oh purple daisy sad.gif that sucks! I got sick in hospital and only got rid of it about a week after I stopped expressing/ trying to breast feed. Those sudafeds were so good when I could have one. Do keep giving your DD your boob because you will hopefully pass on the antibodies original.gif hope you feel better soon.

#65 purple_daisy

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

For those concerned about milk supply I thought I would post the recipe for lactation cookies.  I don't know if they are partially a placebo or not, but since getting my head cold I noticed my milk supply immediately dropped off.  DH made me a batch of these cookies yesterday and I had a couple (they were delicious!) and within two feed cycles I was verging on being engorged and now am back to having a plentiful supply. We made it with white choc chips and they tasted best warm from the oven but are still nice this morning - I'm off to express as I'm feeling so full smile1.gif.

Here is the Recipe:
Lactation Cookies

* 1 cup/250g butter or marg
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (at woolies, it is in a BIG bag)
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
* 1 cup or more chocolate chips/sultanas/almonds (whatever takes your fancy)
* 2-4 tablespoons of brewers yeast (this is a key ingredient but as our woollies doesn't stock it we used regular yeast in sachets and still got the desired result, it probably just would have been even better with brewer's yeast

Preheat oven at 180C. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake: 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.
Serves: 6 dozen cookies
Preparation time: 15 minutes

* You can freeze the raw dough, I'd recommend doing this in a couple of 'batches' as a quarter of the mix made about 20 cookies for us
* They come out quite soft from the oven, but will firm up on the bench
* Remember to keep your water intake up, this can make a difference with supply.

Edited by purple_daisy, 23 June 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#66 purple_daisy

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

PS And when I said I had a couple I mean about 4 or 5, that was all it took to get things started again. Placebo or not, I'm really pleased so hope it might help one of you if you are worried about supply.

#67 yoohooyou

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Purple, I've upped the dose of Motillum today as I can see that supply is going down (what little I had) so in addition to expressing more and the drugs, I'll try these as well.

Hellish night here. DS is not a sleeper. He is fed and happy but basically lies in his cot looking around and takes ages to fall asleep, which is hard going at 3am!

Off to the MCHN tomorrow so I will see if she has any ideas, he doesn't appear hungry, just not tired. I hope this is a phase and not an omen of things to come for the next few years!

#68 Autumn baby 2013

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (scutterbug @ 23/06/2013, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Purple, I've upped the dose of Motillum today as I can see that supply is going down (what little I had) so in addition to expressing more and the drugs, I'll try these as well.

Hellish night here. DS is not a sleeper. He is fed and happy but basically lies in his cot looking around and takes ages to fall asleep, which is hard going at 3am!

Off to the MCHN tomorrow so I will see if she has any ideas, he doesn't appear hungry, just not tired. I hope this is a phase and not an omen of things to come for the next few years!

Hi shutterbug,

I have been told porridge or oats is a good way to increase your supply, also my little one is hard to settle, I was told about a guide called wonder weeks. It explains the different cycles of your babies development and gives you a guide to their behaviour, depending your DH's age he may be going through a developmental leap it may be worth a look. Google it i think it's like a 1.99 dollars on iTunes.

#69 Beancat

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

Welcome to all of the new ladies original.gif

Gixxie, did you get your scar checked out?

DD1 has just become interested in the TV in the last week or so, thank goodness - I can get a 10 minute break here and there.

Re dummies - I am pro dummy too - whatever works I say!  My first two refused them though and Zoe hasn't needed one yet.  We are at 8 weeks today so I dont think we'll be using one.  I actually had one sterilsed and ready to go in each of my hospital bags for the three of them.  DS does however still suck his thumb sad.gif

Getting beautiful smiles now and Zoe has recently discovered her hands are connected to her body.  I love this 2-4 months stage- its just gorgeous.

Monday is my day with all three at home all day....I generally dont get much done at all

#70 countrychic29

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for the recipe purple daisy, we are going pretty well here so haven't had much to post, she generally sleeps well overnight & will mostly settle herself overnight without any crying, loads of awake time during day, an activity mat has been a god send!!
She also put on a monster 500gms by 2.5weeks on top of regaining birth weight before leaving hospital so supply isn't an issue but I think I have a blocked duct, very sore but no red spot just trying lots of heat and feeding that side first everytime
Is there anything else I can try?
Oh and dummies I was very anti but a spectacularly bad day/night meant I gave in, and she wouldn't take it, so I envy those of you that can get use from the magical device original.gif

#71 purple_daisy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Countrychic when I had mastitis last time around my GP got me onto the antibiotics quick smart but also told me to feed that side first, and to gently massage that (.) in a warm shower from well above the blockage area to try and push the milk through. Have you seen your doc for the antibiotics?

Beancat how do you handle all three on your own on Mondays? I'm getting a bit nervous about having the two  mon-wed once DH goes back to work - how will I ever get dinner on, or keep up with the washing?

#72 Bluemakede

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Purple daisy - thanks for the recipe, will keep it for just incase. The breastfeeding school sounds great, and is good that it was such a help for you.

Countrychic - Your DD needs to come have a chat to mine about sleeping overnight  laugh.gif With the dummies mine doesn't really take it, though the last few times I've tried it with her she's taken it for a little while, though I find using the tip of my finger works better.

Beancat - my hat is off to you having all 3 alone at once. i struggle some days alone with one, particularly at night.

DD is having quite a few unsettled periods, especially at night, usually until 12-2am, a few nights she's gone straight through till 4am cry1.gif . Am absolutely struggling with feeding her, have been trying to get her to take the breast, but she doesn't attach well (am now using a nipple shield after seeing an LC), but sometimes she doesn't realise she needs to suck (she does this with the bottle as well), so will push her tongue around the place. She also often chews, so keep ending up with flattened nipples, and cracks. I'm expressing for her, and thankfully have gotten supply up enough to feed her breastmilk every feed, though the cycle of feeding her, expressing and her being unsettled is really starting to tire me out, especially not being able to really go out due to it (and if I do go out it takes so long to get ready and needing to cart the pump if I'm out for to long, just exhausts me). Am praying something will click for her this week and I can get her on the breast full time, as I don't want to do extended expressing, but feel like if I have an alright supply then it would be easier to feed her that rather than formula.

Can't believe 2 weeks has passed already, I swear I blink and hours have passed.

#73 RachealJane

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

bluemakede - keep working on her attachment, she can't chew/bite if she's attached right, its not physically possible. Do you start with 'nipple to nose'? Hope it starts working for you both soon xx

#74 Beancat

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi Purple Daisy

I dont know how I do it - I just stumble through the day.  One thing I have done which helps, and this may sound a bit clinical, but I  have been told that viewing this as 'my job' can help.  i have started trying this and it does help you to be more organised.

A few tips - I use a play pen.  I put the baby in there to protect her from the toddler and then if I need 5 mins to do a job, ie like hang out the washing, I take the baby out and put the toddler in.

I have rearranged the house to have a "toy area" with a few play stations - this keeps the toddler entertained for longish periods throughout the day.

I use the TV- its something I had to get over, but its a fantastic baby sitter.

If anyone wants to catch up with me on a Monday I make them come to me.  Its actually great - it breaks up the day and with three its impossible to go anywhere.   The only places we go is to other friends houses at times when I have all three.  All of my appointments and outings are on days were I only have 1 or 2 of them.

I start cooking tea after lunch.  I cook alot of things that do not require much attention once on, ie slow cooked meals, pasta bakes, roasts etc.  Things that you have to cook from scratch and serve immediately dont work (ie risotto, stir fries) as you need to keep the evenings free for crazy hour.  Re the washing, I just fit it in as I go - its never up to date original.gif

Bluemakede- thanks for your kind words.  Re the feeding, have you thought about seeing a lactation consultant or going to a feeding clinic?  Agree the time just flies by - Zoe was 8 weeks yesterday, dont know how that happened

#75 yoohooyou

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

I start cooking tea after lunch. I cook alot of things that do not require much attention once on, ie slow cooked meals, pasta bakes, roasts etc.

Beancat I do this too. Between school homework, feeding and general sanity, fancy meals are kept for the weekend when DH is around to cook them! I honestly couldn't care what we have for dinner every night as long as it is fairly healthy (some nights I am lumping baked beans with toast with that statement!) and quick.

Bluemakede well done on the feeding. I am also still moving between a bit of boob action, expressing and formula. It is a bit higglypiggly as to what is happening on every given day with boob and bottle, but I have simplified it to my mantra of "feed the baby". He honestly doesn't seem to care where the food comes from as long as it comes.

DS is also unsettled at night - I think he is still working out the difference between night and day, but the reflux meds have helped enormously and he seems to be getting into a 4 hour pattern. It also probably helps that I feed him formula at night.

Slow day here again. Just waiting the week out as DH is on holidays at the end of it for three weeks and hoping to get into a routine when he is home. I figure by the time he goes back to work DS will be eight weeks old and the shock will have worn off!

Edited by scutterbug, 25 June 2013 - 09:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.