Lemons

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lucy-lu

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hi,
I have a tonne of lemons, well about 100. So can have have some suggestions as what I should do with them pls.
I will juice a number of hem, and freeze in ice cube trays, I think I can freeze the zest.
So any yummy recipes.

Thanks

Can I freeze whole lemons?

#2 3 is a crowd

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't know about freezing whole lemons but a few of my favourites -

Lemon Curd Makes a lovely present.
Lemon Roast Chicken
Lemon Meringue Slice
Lemon Cheesecake You can freeze the cheesecake and also make in a big tin
Preserved Lemons These have may uses

You could give excess lemons away to family, friends, neighbours.

#3 MiSS_E

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

I just made a few bottles of lemon cordial with ours. It's good because it's easy to store in the pantry out of the way.

#4 CalEliKat

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

I make a beautiful lemon semolina cake with lemon zest and also the juice of the lemons.  

Lemon curd

Lemon chicken

Lemon cordial

Lemon baked ricotta  - a dessert.

Lemon delicious pudding

Edited by kerrie23, 13 June 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#5 goldy464

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have the same issue at the moment - I have been making lemonade, that tastes great!  I think I got the recipe off Taste.com, but its really easy - to make up 2L of lemonade:

Heat 1 1/2 cups of caster sugar and 1 1/2 cups of water on low heat until sugar disolves - stirring ocasionally.

Juice 8 lemons - pick out the seeds.

Pour both into a container with 1.1 litres of soda water (I usually get the Homebrand Soda water and use half a bottle each time).  Refrigerate.

Everyone raves about how good this homemade lemonade is, and its really easy! rolleyes.gif

#6 lucy-lu

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (kerrie23 @ 13/06/2013, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I make a beautiful lemon semolina cake with lemon zest and also the juice of the lemons.  

Lemon curd

Lemon chicken

Lemon cordial

Lemon baked ricotta  - a dessert.

Lemon delicious pudding

Kerrie, could I get your lemon semolina cake recipe pls original.gif sounds yummy!

#7 The Feral Plum

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

preserved lemons for use in North African/Middle Eastern dishes - great for presents too.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/preser...occan-style-951

#8 JaneLane

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Home made lemonade uses a lot of lemons.  I find you need to find your own ingredient amounts for it to suit your taste so I would google it and make a small batch to tweak for you, then make a large batch.

The other lemon recipe I love is lemon tart, I don't make it much and always have to call mum to find out what I need to do to make it, but I'm sure you will easily find recipes for lemon or citron tart

Edited by blue4me, 13 June 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#9 CalEliKat

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (lucy-lu @ 13/06/2013, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kerrie, could I get your lemon semolina cake recipe pls original.gif sounds yummy!

No probs http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20192/lemon+semolina+cake

I don't just use the zest of the lemons I use the juice too as we like it very lemony

#10 lucy-lu

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (kerrie23 @ 13/06/2013, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No probs http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20192/lemon+semolina+cake

I don't just use the zest of the lemons I use the juice too as we like it very lemony

Thank you, looks great and easy too.

Do you think it can be frozen?

#11 Lokum

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

We dress nearly all salads with lemon/olive oil, and many cooked veg too.

I also find whenever I'm cooking from JO books I use about 10+lemons a week, incidentally.

Otherwise, curd, cordial and preserved means you have great pantry products for ages.

#12 Silver Girl

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Lemon marmalade.

#13 Silver Girl

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Another thought - you could donate some to an op shop and they can sell them.

#14 CalEliKat

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (lucy-lu @ 13/06/2013, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you, looks great and easy too.

Do you think it can be frozen?

Yes, we freeze it.  I make double batches and cook it in loaf tins and either freeze 1 cake whole or sliced and wrapped in individual pieces

#15 3littlegents

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

I made lemon coconut brownies yesterday (taste.com.au)
Yum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.