FYOS 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#1 Tall Poppy

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

It seems my baby is growing up & is off to school next year, eeeek! After much discussion with DH we think we will start DD next year(April birthday) so could have gone 2014 or2015. I think she will be fine academically but do worry a little for her socially howver, I'm not sure holding her back would make any difference to her socially. I think a lot of it is her personality & that is who she is.

DD is my elder child so I'm new to school stuff. I called our local public school & was told I need to come in to pick up the enrolment forms ASAP. I haven't though yet I'm recovering from surgery so not out & about just yet.
Any other parents interested in chatting?

#2 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

My dd turns 5 in October this year so will be one of the last to fall into the term intakes in S.A.  I had a choice to start her term 4 this year or Term 1 next year 2014.  We decided on term 4 this year, I hope she goes okay!

She will have a full year next year so she'll get 5 terms of reception, which I think will be good. She is all enrolled, filled out the forms and dropped them back last term, we have been gathering some uniform items and next term at kindy she will do a visit to school once a week for the whole term.

Where did that 5 years go cry1.gif

#3 gizboo

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

The last 5yrs have gone so fast!!

My DS2 starts school next year too!!  ddance.gif
We've already had his assessment and interview, so just waiting for the acceptance letter. Max will be 5 in September.

BadKitteh My two eldest are both late March borns, and we sent them to school the year they turned 5. They are both doing well. original.gif

#4 GoBack2Bed

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

I've just completed the enrollment form for my 4 year old. He turns five in march next year. We decided to not hold him back as he is quite sociable, smart and does well at kinder. The times he has been the eldest in a group he seems to regress a bit. So being the youngest will not be a huge hurdle for him. I was young in my year too so I'm familiar with the hurdles.

I didn't turn 18 til half way through my first year of uni.

#5 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

DD is 5 in August so has to go next year (nsw), but I don't want her to grow up! I have the forms filled out and ready to take in, but she is my baby!

She is so excited, it's very cute :-)

#6 adnama

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

DS starts next year (november birthday). The school isn't taking enrollments yet, but i'm excited for him but worried as well since he very sensitive hopefully he gets DD's kindergarten teacher

#7 CupOfCoffee

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

My daughter is also going next year (turns 5 in feb).
I feel excited, nervous and old about it.  (I have a son going to year 11, so I have been through it before).
She will do well, she is bright and I think socially ready.

#8 Ianthe

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

My baby starts next year cry1.gif I currently have four kids in Year 11, Year 7, Year 5 and Year 3 so it's not like I am new to it but he is my last. He is a January baby which here will make him one of the youngest but I think he will be fine.

I got the forms but haven't filled them in yet.

#9 aluminium

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

We have enrolment interview and assessment next week.

I'm excited for her now. She's an April babe and could have gone this year but we kept her home and the year is going so well - I'm so glad I did. So much play time and independent learning time together - and I am confident she will thrive next year original.gif

#10 newphase

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

DS, my 3rd and youngest child, starts FYOS next yr also. But I have to decide on which school to send him too the state school (I have him enrolled there technically) or the Catholic school. And there is a 3rd option but I find out next week if we get in to that, which I thought for sure was my definate 1st preference, but they have annoyed me and if I get rubbed up the wrong waythen I can be stupid and cut my nose off to spite my face rolleyes.gif . The 3rd is private.

I am thinking now between the 1st two. Edging towards the Catholic school.

I have my other son starting high school next year too, have put my preferences in for my choice for him and have to wait until August to find out about this.

And my eldest into yr 9, so not new to me, but he is my baby so I am a tad sentimental.

#11 kadoodle

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

My wild and woolly DD2 is FYOS 2014.  She's an October baby, which makes things easier in that there's only next year and no umming and ahhhing about sending her early or late.

She's a 3rd child and pretty confident and bright.  She has two older siblings to watch out for her too, so I'm confident that she'll do well.  I'm a lot less worried or stressed about her started than I was with my older two, who are much less confident and outgoing people.

#12 Tall Poppy

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm in so much shock that DD is school age, it seems like yesterday she was such a tiny baby. I'm worried I'll be a basket case on her first day! Which won't be good for either of us.

I'm still second guessing myself that we are right in sending her.

Good to see the are a few parents here who've had FYOS children before. Silly as it may be I feel calmer knowing others have done it before.

#13 sophiasmum

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'd like to join in.

My baby (my last) is turning 5 in October & off to big school joining her big sister & brother next year. I know I'm going to be a mess & cry. I'm going to miss her soooo much, she's my best friend. I love my 2 days off a week spending with her. There's dance class, shopping, swim lesson, taking her to activities at big school but knowing she is spending the rest of the day with me & not leaving her behind. I think next year I'll be spending a lot of time up at big school to be with her, helping in her class & then in DS's class (DD1 is too big for me to do that...I'm too embarrassing LOL).

#14 Baggy

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

My baby is starting next year too. She turns five at the end of October. She's incredibly confident at kinder, so I think she'll be fine in Prep. I, on the other hand, am so nervous!

I enrolled her a few weeks ago. She has a school excursion with her kinder next term, so she'll get to have a look around then. Then she has four orientation days at the end of this year.

#15 Tall Poppy

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

That sounds really hard Mrsznasty. I'd enrol in your local school just in case & then wait & see what happens. Can the preschool give you some advice about things you can do to help your DS build up his school readiness?

Baggy - I'm glad you're DD is well placed for school. I know what you mean by being nervous, I am as well. DD is very excited so I'm hoping she gets off to a flying start.

DD, DS & I went for a walk to the school today and picked up the enrolment forms.  original.gif
The school receptionist couldn't really tell me what happens from here though so, I'll fill the forms out & return them later this week. Hopefully when I take them back I will be given more information.

#16 mayahlb

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

My eldest starts school full time next year as well. I guess I am lucky that as his 4 year kindy is actually part of the school I actually went through most of this last year and early this year (I had major denial and didn't get around to buying school uniforms until the week before he started).

Mrsnazty - I would ask to have at tour of the school and just see how it goes. Also they should run some sort of orientation or info night where you can come in and talk to the teachers etc. Schools out of your zone might have some places open to other kids out of the zone but are normally limited and sometimes they can not guarentee that they will ahve a place the next year

BadKItteh - After we handed in our enrolement forms we got a letter back saying he had been accepted and the times for the info night run by the school. We also got a booklist of items that needed to be bought, times the uniform was open with a price list, further forms to fill out and brochures as to healthy lunches etc

In all honestly even with how T is doing at Kindy I am a bit stressed about him starting school full time. I know there is still 6 months left but he has a fairly bad speech delay and half the time the teachers can't understand him, half the time I can't understand him (he is about on par with your average 2.5 year old, his almost 3 yr old brother has passed him recently in regards to speech). I worry about how he will cope and communicate things like knowing sight words and readers when he can't actually talk or say the words, then add in that he has issues saying any number that has an nn sound it in. Hopefully it will improve more, we have been doing speech therapy for 2 years now and he is better. But he has also proven to me that he can cope better (with kindy) then I expect sometimes.

Edited by mayahlb, 18 June 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Are you in NSW Mrsznasty?  When I enrolled DD1 in an "out of zone" school (it was actually closer than the one I was zoned for, lol) I applied directly to the principal with a dedicated form for out of zone enrolement requests.

#18 gabbigirl

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

My big girl starts school next year.  She's an August baby so she'll be an oldie! Academically I don't worry, but she's sensitive and emotional, so I worry that she'll get lost in the big public school that we are sending her to. My worry was compounded by an unpleasant incident at the park last week, where a whole lot of said school boys were playing, and decided to start talking to my girl, very inappropriately. It hit me there and then that I won't be able to protect my baby from the idiots of this world.

Anyways other than that, everyone tells me the school is fabulous, so have felt confident until last week.

#19 *Lena*

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

My eldest starts school next year. He could have gone this year but I held him back and I am so glad I did. He is a end of Feb baby.

#20 Tall Poppy

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

I hope we get info soonish after I drop the forms back. I'll need to start budgeting for what we need if it's a lot.  sad.gif It's public school but I know they're strict with uniform.

I think that's good advice about the school visits Mrsznasty it's probably the best you can do under the circumstances.

Just curious Lena why you're glad you held back? I'm still worried we should hold DD back.

#21 mayahlb

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

BadKitteh - school uniforms (2 full sets) was about $100 here, the shirt the most. They might have a uniform list price on their website. Booklist wise, we paid $60 for the year and the fees were $60 for the year (this is voluntary though, you can leave it until later in the year). This is a fairly standard amount, I think the most I have heard is about $120 for a booklist and about $90-120 for fees. Uniform wise I'd probably budget about $200, but different schools have different prices. T only need a shirt, which was $25 each and plain black shorts (which were seriously hard to find as the school shorts were too big. I ended up getting my best friend to buy them at her local big w and send them over. But I live literally in the middle of nowhere). I think it is fairly normally to wonder if they are ready for school. Especially with your first, as it is so different to other situations like daycare etc and you don't have the experience yet.

mrsznasty - I would just give the other school a call. The people in administration should have all that information at hand as to how to apply when out of zone. If it is a larger school, more then likely they have a person that just deals with enrollments

With holding back I guess it depends on the child and when their birthday is, as well as how they cope. You might find that they actually find their feet and are more resilient then you think. But then we have basically free 4 year kindy/pre-school here so we have a transition from 2.5 days to 5 (And the FYOS classrooms are in the same area as kindy so they know the area).  Tristan is a December baby and our cut off is June 30th so he is right in the middle of the age groupings and doesn't have to deal with being the eldest or youngest. My youngest just missed the cut off so will be one of the eldest children when he starts in a couple of years.

Edited by mayahlb, 18 June 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#22 twirling

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi, my DD#3 is starting FYOS next year! She is an october baby and is ready to go NOW! About 6 weeks ago we returned her enrolment form to the school and as we were leaving the office she grabs my hand and says "So, Mum, I'll just show you around. Thats where I'll put my bag, thats where I'll buy a slushy from the canteen everyday". I didnt want to crush her enthusiasm by telling her she doesnt get to go to the canteen every day!

I remember the feeling of sending my firstborn to school for the first time. I LITERALLY cried for 3 days straight. I'm very excited for DD#3 to start.

Does anyones school have smaller then size 4 uniform? I think the uniform will swamp my DD.

#23 kadoodle

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

We go down to a 2, as there's lots of tiny little Asian kids here.  DD2's gone from being the smallest to somewhere in the middle this year, so I'm thinking of holding off any uniform buying until the start of next year as she could be in a 4 or a 6, depending on whether the growth rate keeps up.

#24 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (twirling @ 18/06/2013, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, my DD#3 is starting FYOS next year! She is an october baby and is ready to go NOW! About 6 weeks ago we returned her enrolment form to the school and as we were leaving the office she grabs my hand and says "So, Mum, I'll just show you around. Thats where I'll put my bag, thats where I'll buy a slushy from the canteen everyday". I didnt want to crush her enthusiasm by telling her she doesnt get to go to the canteen every day!

I remember the feeling of sending my firstborn to school for the first time. I LITERALLY cried for 3 days straight. I'm very excited for DD#3 to start.

Does anyones school have smaller then size 4 uniform? I think the uniform will swamp my DD.

my older girls I ran in the sides a little and lifted the hem so I may do that again or just let her wear it big, she won't be the only one.  Even the bag will be almost bigger than her.

Edited by lifehacker, 15 July 2013 - 02:00 AM.

#25 *Lena*

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (BadKitteh @ 18/06/2013, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just curious Lena why you're glad you held back? I'm still worried we should hold DD back.

I was worried about his social and emotional readiness last year and I can see how much that has improved in the last 6 months. I think he would have been fine academically but I have seen so many children not handle school socially and emotionally and it really does make it hard for the child, more so then having trouble academically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.