FYOS 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#101 gizboo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

DS2 has his Best Start assessment on Thurs 30th Jan at 8am, all his sibs will be at school/daycare so DH&I are looking forward to having a full day alone with him, and then he starts school the following the Monday 3rd Feb, straight into full days... he is going to be exhausted!!
My other two kids had 3 half days before transitioning to full days.
We don't need to get book packs, etc (Catholic college, its all included in fees), but uniforms & bags bought, bus pass applied for... just need school & sports shoes in Jan and done!

M's pre school graduation is on the 5th Dec, can't wait, its such a sweet time!! :happy:

#102 karkat

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

DD1 has her last orientation morning on Friday. She's so excited! Last session we went and bought a couple of shirts and a skort for her (uniform just a polo and shorts/skorts) and it was so cute to see her face just light up when she tried the shirt on.

DD's at kindy today and when she walked in the teachers had put up the "where to next year poster?" which has all the local schools names and kindy (for those 3 yr olds) with all the kids names and a blank t-shirt cut out that they have to colour in their new school colours, she's so excited that this year she gets to colour her shirt in purple as last year she was in the kindy again list. What an exciting time for our children!

We have the booklist which I won't worry about til after Christmas, I have DD1 and DD3's birthdays before Xmas and then DH straight after, so it's a January job for us.

The P&C at our school has managed to raise funds for air con in all but 2 classrooms and they're hoping to have that done next year, you'd think that being in FNQ all schools would be air con! I guess, the local hospital isn't so the schools aren't either (although the prison 20min away is!!)

Does anyone know if the testing you're all talking about it a state based thing? We haven't heard anything about testing at all, first day of school is 28th Jan, and straight into full days/5 days a week.

#103 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

kartkat - I am going to ask my son's kindy teacher when I see her next week.

Well I am now really stressed about T starting next year. I got a rather distressing letter in the mail this morning after the pead we saw six months ago that did a screening test on T (I have been asking for 2 years now for him to be assessed for autism. This is/was the first step before he was put on the list for assessment. If I had a free 5K I would just organise appointments and go to Perth and have it done already).

So with what she has written in this letter (which has been forwarded to his school), it means I need to talk to them about support for next year. And what they think about her disgnosis and what it will mean for next year. I actually thought for a while there everything was going well with him, that it was just his speech problems. I guess at least the pead mentions that there is funding the school can apply for, so that he has a teacher's aide.

#104 newphase

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Karkat-- I use to live in Mildura (nth VIC) growing up and went to a state school mid 80's, and we had air con then (40+ degree weeks) can't believe FNQ schools don't have air con in this consumer age especially. Yikes.

Re testing, I have no idea about any of it at all. Will ask at info night Dec 2nd. I assume they do some to see where kid are at, even at FYOS level.

Mayahlb- $5k, why would it cost so much? I know WA do things differently to VIC, but my daughters private assessments last year cost $2k max (some rebates). Perhaps you have accom too. Anyway, I hope you get some answer sooner rather than later, keep at them. An aide support in the formative years especially would be super. I fork out $200+ a week for DD14's ongoing support-drops to nil in high school unless classified with significant issues/impairments. Sigh. All the best!

DS5 has 2nd orientation morning tomorrow, alas I will miss taking him, but my Mum is so he wont miss out. 2 more after this then info evening on 2nd. Just saw my calendar for the 2nd Dec, going to be busy that day with all things kid related---appts/interviews/info sessions etc.

#105 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

newphase the 5 k includes flights, accom, the extra daycare it would require for my other child, then all the appointments. Just flights both myself and t would cost anywhere from 1200-1800 :( Because it would be private we and there is a service that comes here to do the assessments it means you can't get PATS funding.

#106 karkat

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Mayahlb - how tough, must be stressful! I'm guessing the service that comes to your home town has a really long waitlist/quality issues? Good luck with it all, I'm an OT in a rural area and know how much our services just don't cut it sometimes.

So DD had her last orientation morning last Friday and she had a great time. She got to go to all 3 prep classrooms and join in all the activities for the morning. We also found out during the week that DH's cousin (returning from mat leave) will be teaching one of the prep classes next year, so very happy with all the teachers for prep next year.

I asked about the testing, and our local school doesn't do it because they feel they get enough info on the kids from their kindy transition reports, discussion with kindy teachers this year and in the first week or 2 of school, so they just figure out the baseline of all the kids in the first couple of weeks of school and go from there.

#107 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

Karkat: acutally most of the time I find we get rather good service where I live. The DSC local office rang this morning to go through everything and make sure that I knew they were here if I had any questions. Apparently he will be assessed in July next year, though because he is about to turn 5, they have placed him in the priority list. In my experience sometimes luck can happen and you can be bumped up (This happened with my other son when he needed surgery for his adeniods and tonsils). Otherwise I am happy to wait until then. We are lucky that we already access the majority of services, it is more school help that I wonder about. As you can see I am in a more positive frame of mind today :) (though that is not helped by a MIL who is in denial that something is not wrong but different with T. ANd that he will magically be able to talk properly over night and his issues will disappear. She doesn't see the sheer amount of work that we have done with him to get him where he is)

I am staring to think that our school won't do any testing before FYOS, mainly because most kids attend 4 year kindy at the school, so they already know where each child's abilities rest.

#108 Tall Poppy

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

All NSW public schools do the Best Start testing, it is t the schools discretion when they implement it though. DD is being tested in the last week of Jan & then commences the following week with full days.

#109 newphase

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Parent info nite at ds's school tomorrow nite. Will ask re this testing stuff and when we get info re what class they will be in next year, new school for me so I have no idea how things work.
DS has 4th and final orientation morning this Thursday, I wonder if he will cry this time. Last 3 he has. Hmm, 3rd child is my sookiest it seems, older two were like...see ya later Mum and they were off.

#110 Mummzy

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hi, :smile:

Nervous mum over here. We are relocating from NSW to QLD. My son turned 5 in November and just finished Pre-K.

We only just found a school that will suit our needs. We are going with a Private Christian school. I sent my enrolment form off last week and forgot to attach the immunisation records and a copy of the birth certificate. So sent that off yesterday.

We already had a school tour, now waiting for them to get in contact with us for the principal interview. I am hoping we hear from them soon as we move in 1 week and have only looked at one other school but wasn't too keen...

We did think about holding him back as he is still so young in himself. He also is the most sleepiest child. Days he didn't go to pre-K he would and still does have 3 hour naps.
In class after lunch he would usually fall asleep. I have no idea how he is going to handle 5 days a week.

Other then that he is academically ready. I was told Prep QLD is equivalent to Pre-K in NSW, so I am not sure if he will be doing the same thing he did this year...

I can't believe I am going to have a child at school full-time!!! :xmas_blink:

#111 newphase

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

Prep testing Feb 12th for my boy I found out today as well as who his teacher is. Last day of kinder was yesterday so now I guess he is a school kid officially!

#112 cristina86

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hi, my DD4 is starting Kindy next year. She doesn't have her uniform yet as I'm waiting for the January sales. There is a school shirt and shorts with the badge but half the kids just wear the school colours. She'll have vivobarefoot shoes like DS7 (why I have to save on the uniform!). Does anyone know where I can get school shorts in a size 3 or with an adjustable waist? DD will start Kindy a month older than DS (5 in June) but she is petite.

#113 newphase

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Christina235.. If your school just allows school colours and not specific shorts or shirts etc,then Target, Big W, Kmart, Best and Less often have a range of things in school sizes for smaller kiddies. Also I am not sure where you are located, but in my area there is also a school uniform shop where you can get many things in many sizes, and not just items with school logos on them.
Personally re my sons school, the shirts offered by the school with the white trim on their colours and school logos printed on them washed way better than Kmart type t-shirts by far! I got 4 years out of DS ones and they'd be fine for DS2 if he was going to the same primary.

#114 cristina86

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

When DS started I couldn't find shorts smaller than a 4, which would fall off DD if they weren't adjustable. Maybe there are girls shorts that are a smaller fit, I haven't looked yet. She hates trying  things on so school shopping will be fun.
The school shirts are very wide, so I'd probably buy generic ones anyway.

#115 cristina86

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

I was looking after a friend's two kids today and we now have some shorts for DD that her DS had grown out of. It turns out the school shorts are smaller than the ones in the shops and the size 4 are fine :).
I hope DD will get along with the girls at school though, she was just playing with the two boys today and her friend was mostly left out as she didn't like the games they were playing. They usually play fine together when the boys are at school. DD will usually play with the boys or with girls more like her at the playground though. I hope she will fit in at school next year and find friends in her class.

#116 dae-gu

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

FYOS kids usually happily play all together, ie mixed sexes.

#117 cristina86

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

That's good to hear. I only really remember DS talking about the other boys in Kindy  so I wasn't sure.
Now I'm just hoping for the numbers for two Kindy classes. Otherwise the options will likely be the K class as the only child reading or the K-1 class as a 4.5 year old.

#118 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

The groups get used to playing together well christina. I am probably going to buy some more school shorts while we are away on holidays (we only have a target and best and less int he town I live in). He just needs plain black shorts but I had a horrid time trying to find them. Big W have nice ones so I will pick some up in a size 4 when I visit a bigger town. Our school shirts are not generic, but I have 3 from his 4 year kindy class and will buy more when he starts back. I am hoping they have ordered new ones from a thicker weave and better quality of material because the ones they ordered last year were terrible. All the hems have shredded (I am going to fix them with my overlocker). But at least his didn't rip like other kids. Apparently the uniform shop had a lot of complaints (they just changed the shirt last year). They are maroon and silver with the school badge on it. I also have to buy new school shoes as he has outgrown last years pair.

#119 Nofliesonme

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:46 AM

So after all books being covered and uniforms labelled I want to cry. DD2 starts school in like 22 days and I want to cry. :( when DD1 went to school last year into grade 2 I was upset and had a cry but I think I'm ready to wrap DD2 in bubble wrap and keep her home. Last day of kindy last year I cried. I didn't with DD1. I put it down to knowing what's coming whereas with DD1 I was blissfully unaware.

DD2 is so excited and sooooooo ready. I am not ready and I'm crying just writing this. I don't want her to grow up and I don't want her to become MORE independent, I don't want her to develop that attitude they get by the end of the first year, I don't want to be told the teacher told me so you must be wrong or the talk about the teacher as if she has taken my place.

Waaaaahhhhhh!!!!

#120 OneMore?

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

My #3 is so excited, and surprisingly so am I !! 3 weeks and she is a preppie.

We have all the books, just need to label them and the uniforms.

She has 2 older brothers and has been at school almost every day of her life (that she remembers), she is more than ready. She cried for the last 6 months of kindy drop off as she wanted to go to big school. She is ready and I am ready.

Exciting - end of an era - all my babies are at school !

#121 Tall Poppy

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

DD is so excited as well, she keeps asking me when she starts.
We've got her school shoes & sneakers now as well which she loves and feels very grown up wearing.

#122 Ianthe

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

NoFlies-my baby is starting. I am so upset. Excited for him but really emotional. I have had a kid home for 17 years. And he is four years younger than his next sibling so it has been him and I home for a long time. I just know how fast the time goes when they are at school and there is so little time. I will miss him :(

Oh now I am crying too.

#123 kadoodle

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I would be crying, but DD2 has dialed up the attitude recently, so I'm now looking forward to her poor teacher having to deal with her and the fact that she knows everything about everything.

#124 OneMore?

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

My DD went to vacation care today (they can start in the Jan they start school) and she totally loved it. I was SO nervous for her (she is TINY - size 2 undies). She painted and played with the water pistols and ate lunch. One of her brothers was with her (who is not overly emotionally intelligent - unlike the other brother that is away at my Mums) and she knew a lot of girls there so it was all good, she can't wait to go back.

My goodness, she is growing up quickly - neither of her brothers would have breezed the day like she did today.

#125 karkat

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Wow! It's all getting very close now isn't it? Just under 3 weeks until DD1 starts prep. We found out her class placement at the end of last year and she's super happy that she's with one of her besties from kindy, unfortunately it's the one friend who's parents I don't know (she's dropped off at kindy by her Nanna) so we haven't been able to do any play dates yet over the holidays with anyone in her class.

Very happy with her teacher, a very calm, structured lady so hopefully DD1 will do well with her. DD1 said it was her favourite classroom during the open days.

Slowly getting all her stuff from the booklist, and have now discovered what a "mapping" book is! Unfortunately DD2 is upset that she's not getting any books for school.

First day is going to be chaos, I have to take DD1 to prep and then DD2 to kindy for her first day of kindy while trying to keep a newly walking DD3 under control, fun!!

I'm not sure whether to cheer or cry that I'll have 2 of my kids in some sort of educational activity for most of the week...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.