FYOS 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#126 Nofliesonme

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Karkat you will cry.... Lol  this year I have 2 at school and 1 at family daycare 2 days a week. 1 at home and another fulltime child coming to live with us.... So I am kind of glad to have 2 at school but I will ball my eyes out. Good luck.

Yes a mapping book... Odd name but I see why.

#127 Liv_DrSperm_sh

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 07 January 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

I would be crying, but DD2 has dialed up the attitude recently,

What's the deal with that...my two are certainly piling on the 'tude with me too. They are driving me up the wall!! Bring on school and a good dose of being the smallest fish in the pond!

#128 *Lena*

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

I am excited about DS1 starting school in 3 weeks and so is he. We got a letter with his class teacher last week and I am very happy and so is he. He really liked her in the orientation. She was my major prac teacher when I was training so I know what a good teacher she is.

I have all his uniform, shoes, socks etc. We went on the weekend and let him pick  his school bag etc out.

DS2 will be starting pre school 2 days a week this year too so I will be down to 2 at home 3 days a week and I am looking forward to those 2 days.

#129 newphase

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

DS2, my last to go to school says he isn't going to school he is staying home lol. New territory for me as my other two couldn't wait. Harder now they will be both be in high school this yr.
We got a letter just before xmas re who his class teacher will be and whst room he will be in.

I got his shoes last week so we are all set items wise.

The preps don't get their book pack we pay a fee and the school provides all stationary supplies they need etc. Same for grade 1 too I think.

How do other people's schools do the transtion into school the 1st month. Ds2's does the Wednesday off for 1st 4 weeks then full 5 days, this is way different to my older twos primary transitioning.

Edited by newphase, 08 January 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#130 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

For the transition, DDs school does staggered starts for the first day, about 5 kids at a time, 10 mins apart. They finish at 2 that day, then go straight into 9-3

Can't believe in just over 3 weeks my baby will be a school kid!

#131 Sif

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Not long now. We still need to get shorts and an iPad for our prep. Waiting on school kids bonus which is due for us next week. He's very excited. We know his class and teachers (two of them time sharing). So, we're pretty much just counting down the days now. Dh and I were having a laugh the other day when we realised it's back to readers for us this year. Luckily, Ari seems to have already picked up a lot of sight words, so we're hoping it'll go smoothly and we'll be able to ditch the boring readers before too long.

#132 aluminium

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

OK, washing uniforms. Hemming them this evening. Covering school books. Just need to pick up her bag and hat from the uniform shop. Is my (big) Baby Girl really starting Kindy?! Where'd the time go?! I'm all tears!

*Lena* Your two big boys are doing what my two girls are doing #1 starting K; #2 starting preschool. How they grow!

#133 karkat

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Omg!!! One week countdown is on!! Still a super excited DD1, DD2 who's starting kindy the same day is a bit nervous.
Hope everyone's enjoying their last week with the soon to be preppies/kinders

#134 SmallPotatoes

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

My soon to be big school girl is at her Grandma's this week. They went for a haircut and school show shopping yesterday. I have her shirts on the way in the mail, we have socks and the hate and the bag all ready to go and Grandmas also took care of the stationary list - all labelled now too!

I just have to get her pinafores and sports uniform next Tuesday then we have new student lunch with the principal on Wednesday then straight into full days from 9 til 3.20 from Thursday. She's in a class of about 17 kids and that's the only Kindergarten class (NSW) as it's a small private school in regional NSW.

She's a late May birthday so is 4y8m and I believe will be the youngest in the class but definitely not the only 4yo, there's a march and april birthday that I know of as well. She's so ready and excited to start! I'm excited for her too :)

We know who her teacher is - as there is only 1 and ahve been very impressed with her so far. She also has been given 2 older buddies, 1 of which is our soon to be neighbour who she loves to pieces and the other one lives just down the street from where are are moving to next month. :) So she'll be able to catch the bus with them at times too - it's a mini bus provided by the school and stops at the end of our driveway.

#135 BookDuck

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Less than a week to go! :) Kindergarten NSW Teacher here.

I'm looking forward to a new class full of fresh faces! I've pretty much finished my preperation (teachers don't get to enjoy their holidays as much as people think) and now I'm just doing things like creating desk mats and labels for all the new students. I've spent about $500 so far this year on buying new games and resources for my classroom. I have to stop or I won't have enough money to pay my bills!

There's so much that all the children will be learning this term. I expect them to go home exhausted!

In maths this term the class will be focusing on the numbers 1-10! Learning to write each numeral correctly, subitizing the number, addition and subtraction and more! (Of course if I have any children who can subitize and do mental addition up to 10 then we will work on larger numbers). They will also be looking at measuring length, area, volume, weight and time. Other things will be covered in maths too!

In literacy the class will be learning about the alphabet and what common sound each letter makes. They will learn around 30 sight words and start reading books. The first few books the students will be reading will be repetitive texts (RR level 1 and 2) and then they will most likely finish the term on a level 3 reader. They will learn what a letter, sound and word is. By the end of the term they will be able to write a whole sentence and use a full stop at the end! So exciting!

I absolutely love being a Kindergarten teacher. I've taught many year levels and Kindergarten is the absolute hardest, but it's also my favourite. The amount of progress the students can make in one year.

I can't wait. I'm very excited!

#136 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

I think I am just about organised. We don't start for another 2 weeks (WA) and I just have to hem his school shirts (the hems ripped last year) and make his art smock. Have to say though we went shoe shopping yesterday and OMG how hard was it to find size 12 shoes????? 3 shops later I had to spend more then I wanted considering I can tell you now he will loose them. Wish I could have found some in Target, he had a pair last year that wore well, were easy for him to put on and comfortable for him. But again, the ONLY size 12s I could find were in thongs. And we ended up having to buy 12.5s anyway. oh well just a small rant.

I am going between complete total freakout about him starting and not been able to cope academically because he does learn differently and have other issues, and then thinking oh it will be ok, I shouldn't be negative about it ladida. I guess everyone with a child who has additional needs goes through this though. I really think he could have benefited from repeating 4 year kindy though, but we don't have the option here :(

#137 newphase

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

I dont envy Prep/kinder teachers jobs at all Book Duck lol.
All set my end having picked up DS school shoes yesterday which is the last of what I need. Just have to pay his fees/booklist 1st day back as apparently this is when u do so for preppies.

I trying to get him into a better sleep routine as its gone out the window over the holidays, harder too maintain when older sibs, 12 and 14 stay uo late. Next week it will be back to school bed time hrs 100% for all bar the 14 she self regulates now, given up years ago.

#138 BeAwesome

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

One week to go for my girl today.  Her school is doing a staggered start - half of each class on one day, the other half the next, then everyone on the Friday.  

We've bought everything we need, and tomorrow going to spend the day washing and ironing uniforms, labelling lunch boxes, etc.

#139 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Labelling the clothes, lunch boxes and contacting the homework book tonight. Breaking in the school shoes slowly, and my baby is growing up... I think I'm gonna cry, lol

#140 barrington

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

My youngest starts FYOS next Tuesday. I have most things already as she went to a full-time pre- prep program at the same school last year. One of her besties is in her class and we all love her teacher and the aides. It's going to be a brilliant year for her!  

Because of the pre-prep program there is no orientation or part days. Straight into it from day one.

#141 cristina86

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

DD has her beststart and play session on Wednesday morning then will start full days on the following Monday. Everything is bought and ready except her school books which we will find out about when she starts. I'm not sure if I should mention that she can read before beststart or if it is best to let the teacher find out herself?

#142 Avidreader

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

My DS starts next Thursday to go the PIPS test (similar to best start). He then goes again with the rest of the kids on Monday.

I don't think you need to say if your child can read. My DD started school last year and the teacher picked it up almost straight away and started her on level 18 readers from day one to give her an "easy" start.  DS can read as well but not as well ( he will be 8 months younger than when DD started which may play into it). I expect the school will realise he can read and I am interested to see what level they put him on to start.

#143 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

I wouldn't think you need to say she can read. they will pick that up during the testing. We are like barrignton and don't have any testing because the majority of the kids were in 4year kindy at the school already and we have most things uniform wise. Though I was looking for the school shirts today and somehow Tristan has lost one between last year and now. I am not happy as they are $25 each and they didn't have any second hand ones in a size 6. And I already wanted to buy another 2. Hoping I can find it tomorrow.

My plans for his first day of school have changed. I got called back to work early (and promoted to manager) so will start the same day that T starts school. At least I have managed to move my start time from 8 to 8.30 but I won't finish until 5 because my hours have been increased (dependent on if the new contract arrives by then). I'm a bit sad about that as I wanted to pick him up after his first day at full time school. Oh well, he is used to the daycare where he does afterschool care.

We still have another 2 weeks to go, well 1.5, but it is going to go fast. How did our kids grow up so fast????

#144 cristina86

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

Avidreader, so the teacher should have different reading levels ready to test to the child's level? DD has been placed in the straight K class for now (for orientation, this can change), which DS was in for FYOS and none of the kids could read. So I hope they will still have the books ready and it wasn't expected that I should've told them. I just don't want to be disbelieved and get off to a bad start though. I don't think it is so much an age thing as DD is only a month older than DS was (turning 5 in June and July) and he couldn't read at all.

#145 BookDuck

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

View Postcristina235, on 23 January 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Avidreader, so the teacher should have different reading levels ready to test to the child's level? DD has been placed in the straight K class for now (for orientation, this can change), which DS was in for FYOS and none of the kids could read. So I hope they will still have the books ready and it wasn't expected that I should've told them. I just don't want to be disbelieved and get off to a bad start though. I don't think it is so much an age thing as DD is only a month older than DS was (turning 5 in June and July) and he couldn't read at all.

Schools usually use 'readers' when teaching children how to read. These readers are grouped by levels. Schools have a wide range of levels for their readers. (1-30).

In kindergarten children start on level 1. They are really basic repetitive texts that use picture clues to help children. ("this is the dog.", "this is the fridge", etc).. One sentence per page. A huge chunk of fyos kids will start on level one.. And that's okay :-)

If your child is reading above that, the teacher will notice very quickly and they will be moved up reading levels. This means during guided reading time they will read more difficult texts and their take home reader will be more difficult.

Guided reading is where 2-6 kids (I usually do 2-3 max in my class) sit down and all read the same book together. Each child gets a copy of the book and they take turns reading pages. The teacher models reading strategies for them depending on their level. The students work at their instructional level here. (roughly where they can read between 90-95% of the words without help). The readers they take home are a level or two lower. These readers would be at the child's independent level (95-100%).

Children can often be on level 3 for a long time. This is because readers change from repetitive texts and the child actually learns to read each word. Don't worry if it feels like your child is on level 3 for ages.

Also sometimes your child might be on a reader level that may seem too low. This may be because they are lacking in comprehension skills and are just reading the words without visualizing the story. The teacher should let you know this is the case and give you advice on how to help their literal and/or inferential comprehension skills develop.

On the north shore and northern beaches of Sydney children are expected to finish the year on a level 8 reader. (our regional expectation). The expectation for nsw a level 6 reader.

So basically Cristina235..the teacher will pick up your child can read and put them on a reading level that is appropriate to them. And if you have any concerns about it just let your teacher know politely and maybe ask if they would be able to do a running record.

Hope I've kind of explained the reading process a bit. If you have any more questions or would like more detail on an area let me know.

One last thing.. Reading levels aren't a competition or a guide than one child is "better" than another. I have seen a parent refuse a play date offer solely on the fact that the other boy was only reading at a level 3 and her boy was much higher. :-(

#146 cristina86

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Thanks BookDuck. I am quite familiar with what happens in FYOS for kids starting as non-readers as I have a 7 year old as well. At our school when DS started they must've put the kids who could read in the K-1 class. DS's K class all started on level 1, level 3-4 at the end of term, similar to how you described. My 4 year old on the other hand is currently reading books like Aussie Nibbles/Bites and year 3-4 PRC picture books. So this is my first time in this situation.

#147 cristina86

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Sorry I meant level 3-4 at the end of semester 1 not term 1. I think in semesters because of uni.

#148 Minichi

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

its an interesting discussion.  Bookduck, can you tell me what usually happens if the child is reading very well in kindergarten.  are they still placed with other children?

this is my biggest concern.  My DS is reading well (I dont know what 'level' it would be) but he is reading and comprehending books like Harry Potter.  

We are hoping cery much that he could do his work with other children and not be put on his own to learn.

He is the youngest in the class and social skills are our biggest focus.

#149 cristina86

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

kh79, at our smallish (200 odd kids) public school in a below average socioeconomic area, your DS would have to join my 7 year old in year 3 to find peers with that kind of reading ability.

#150 Minichi

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Yes I certainly realize that Not many children enter school reading to a similar level. He is a self taught reader and has been reading for 2.5 years.

He has Aspergers and we've been heavily involved in providing him early intervention this our focus is for him to be social with peers and be learning within the group.

He is highly gifted and he has similar skills across the academic domains. Because he is so young we don't intend to start pushing for his giftedness to be catered for, we just want him to be engaged and happy and be with other children whilst learning.

My question was purely to see what teachers actually do when children read above the average class? Do they learn alone or with the other kids.

This is probably a very ignorant question but I am genuine in asking it. Many parents in this group have mentioned their children are going to enter school reading, what does this reading look like? Words, short sentences, small chapter books? Etc My DS was self taught and his reading came so easily that I am really unsure how quickly children progress from reading words to reading pretty much anything?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.