FYOS 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#151 cristina86

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

My DD is self taught as well, she was a whole word reader initially but now can break down unfamiliar words into syllables. She is reading Aussie Nibbles/Bites and other easy chapter books that are on special shelves at our local library. I expect she will be placed in the K-1 class  and there will be other kids at her level in year 1 if not K. I am a bit worried about the social side of being in a composite as she is only 4.5, but at our school that would likely be the best solution.
kh79, I think a lot would depend on your school, what the cohort of students is like, and on the teacher.

#152 Avidreader

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

My DD started FYOS at the level you described. Her school initially gave her readers but soon realised she was beyond readers. We then has two terms of her reading whatever she wanted (which was chapter books) individually with the teacher. After we agreed that she had settled into school enough she went to year 1 to join with a group of year 1 gifted readers. As the school does the literacy block at the same time this worked well.

Dd was very popular for her reading skills! The other kids saw her almost like another teacher and would get her to read things for them and assist them with spelling etc. I went into the classroom once a fortnight and so many kids came up to tell me how smart DD was- there was absolutely no resentment. In fact one little boy came up to me to earnestly declare that he was second!

Another thing we find was ask and get permission for DD to do the PRC. She completed it at the year 3-4 level and it gave some structure to those early days. She was very proud to be the only kid in kindy to complete it.

Going into year 1 this year she has been allocated the teacher whose classroom she went to. We are going to see if she can be accommodated in year 1 and if not she will go back to the kids in year 2.

DS is reading at about level 12-14 so he will also require some extension but hopefully not as much.

#153 Gumbette

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Kh79, your DS is one smart little cookie! I hope he forms some good solid friendships this year.

Edited by TiredbutHappy, 23 January 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#154 newphase

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

If I'd known I could (being naïve re all things to do with schooling when my 1st child started Prep in 2005), I would have asked for DD to be moved up several levels in the beginning re reading, she was bored with her readers and read them in 2 seconds, she was reading them at start of kinder or earlier, she loved reading, we were always at the library.

I think when DD started everyone began on the same level, the ones that went up quickly (or skipped levels)...parents got involved I found out in grade 1.

So if you think your child is way above 'cat sat on the mat' (DD was reading Harry Potter kind of books etc by Prep's end at home and comprehending them too-- Asperger's as well I found out 2 years ago in yr 7) and they aren't being moved forward...talk to the teacher, and often if necessary (at an appropriate time of course or write a note). I wish I'd known. Doh.

Edited by newphase, 23 January 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#155 Avidreader

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

I think it depends on the school. As I said, I initially didn't need to say anything about DD's reading. When I went to pick her up on the first day the teacher came out to find me and said "DD is an amazing reader". I didn't need to say anything at that stage.

I did initiate a meeting with the teacher when we hit the start of term 2 to discuss what their plans were for her. It was a bit frustrating at that point. There was simply no one in Kindergarten that was reading anywhere near her level so that is when we had to think outside the box. They originally suggested she move up to year 2 for the literacy block (as they assessed she was reading about a year 3-4 level) but the Principal thought that would be too much of a gap socially so we settled on the gifted year one group.

One thing that really annoyed me (and still does) is the dependence of the school on me going to the library regularly to get books for DD. She brought home no books from school practically every day for the last 3 terms but was expected to read every night and list it in her reading folder book. The only way that worked was for me to go to the library which was a bit of a pain!

The other 'teething' issue I had at the start was that the reading folder had a place to list the book read. DD interpreted this to mean she had to read an entire book each night. I had many arguments with her about how it wasn't necessary to read a book a night given how large her books were. It was seriously taking 2 hours plus each night for her to finish her book. She struggled to understand and I had many comments of "but mummy everyone else reads a whole book a night". Yes- but they were 5 page readers with one line on a page! Eventually the teacher told her she should try and read one or two chapters a night and she agreed with this.

Those with similar kids my suggestion would be leave it at the start and see whether the school picks it up themselves but if they don't or you are concerned your child is getting bored or not really learning anything- arrange an interview with the teacher to see what else can be organised.

#156 BookDuck

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

View Postkh79, on 23 January 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

its an interesting discussion.  Bookduck, can you tell me what usually happens if the child is reading very well in kindergarten.  are they still placed with other children?

this is my biggest concern.  My DS is reading well (I dont know what 'level' it would be) but he is reading and comprehending books like Harry Potter.  

We are hoping cery much that he could do his work with other children and not be put on his own to learn.

He is the youngest in the class and social skills are our biggest focus.

Keep in mind that all schools and teachers are different and also what the parent wishes also effect the outcome so I'll just let you know what I've seen with past experiences (I've taught at 3 different schools). These experiences may not be similar to yours though.

Generally there seems to be a big desire to keep children with their age level. Depending on the teacher/school they might go join older classes during the literacy block.

However I had a child last year who came into my class reading at a Year 4 level. I found out during the first day during the best start testing process. I had a meeting with the principal to ask how the school usually proceeds in these situations (as each school likes to handle them differently, was my first year at this school) and the principal told me to just keep the child in the class and extend him myself.

I did further testing on that boy in the first couple of days to really get a feel of how well he was reading. His vocabulary was amazing! His comprehension skills (particular inferential skills) were the lowest part of his reading so I used the Cars and Stars comprehension program and we also did a lot of oral discussion about books that I would have him read. (I would get him to read one book a week as he was reading things such as The Twits, Esiotrot, etc). His writing was very underdeveloped compared to his reading and he started the year off writing sentences such as 'I like the cat' so we also analysed texts to see what made books more exciting. By the end of the year his writing had advanced to sentences such as 'There was tension in the air. Something was going down at the City Zoo. The animals were hatching a plan and it was going to happen tonight!'.

For the entire year pretty much did an individual learning plan for this child in many areas of literacy. So that's one example of how a gifted child would be handled. He stayed in Kindergarten. He did writing with the other children, reading groups (although it was just him, occasionally another boy). I had actually pulled him out of the some of 'advanced' programs (Once a week for maths and literacy for the Kindy 'Bright Stars') as they were not extending him as it was the one program for all the gifted kindergarteners. I was able to have him work at an appropriate level in the classroom.

At a previous school there was a 2 gifted children in one year, and they advanced both of them up a grade. However both of these children were 'socially' ready.

I would say chances are (but can change) that your child would be kept with his peers and extended in class. But I'd also recommend to have a meeting about once a term with his teacher in regards to his reading and any other levels he may be advanced in, just to know what the teacher is doing to extend and what you can do at home to support that. But please make sure not to lose the love of reading! :)

Edited by BookDuck, 25 January 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#157 OneMore?

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Prep starts tomorrow (straight into it, no half days etc) DD is SO excited, she finally goes to big school with her brothers. My baby :cry:

Edited by OneMore?, 27 January 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#158 newphase

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Best of luck to all the newbies to school this week or next week. I wish DS started tomorrow, would solve a couple of problems I am facing this week.

Thursday for us!

#159 Therese

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Would you like a new thread so it is easier to follow ? Let me know if you do :)

#160 newphase

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'M for a yes Therese given the kiddies are all about to step out and make the big FYOS move this week or next.

#161 gabbigirl

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Another one whose big girl starts tomorrow.  After a huge weekend, she thankfully went to bed early tonight.  Fingers crossed for her and all the preppies!

#162 CupOfCoffee

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Noooo... Tomorrow my baby also starts Prep.

I am going to cry (hopefully I can hold it together until I leave tomorrow). She has been going to daycare for 41/2 years and I am still so nervous.

She was actually asleep by 7:30 which is amazing for her.

I still need to iron on her name labels, but everything else is ready.

#163 Therese

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

New thread time :)

Your new thread is here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.