FYOS 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#26 lynneyours

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

DD1 starts school too next year.  She has a July birthday, so I don't have to "choose" which is great. She is well and truly ready to start school, is very excited, has already decided that she will be having the dress in summer and the pants and sports shirt in winter.  wink.gif

Its an out-of-zone school for us, we were there at 9am the day enrollments opened, so I hope we get in. It's just as easy to get to as our zoned school (5 or so tram stops further) but our zoned school doesn't do/enforce a uniform and DD is sooo looking forward to the uniform.  laughing2.gif

I think she will miss her kinder friends - they are all going to different schools -  but am hoping the kids will be friendly.

#27 BeAwesome

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

My DD is in her FYOS next year too.  She'll be 5 this October, and well and truly ready to begin.  She currently goes to a 5 day fortnight Kindy program (C&K - in Qld).

Yesterday she got a letter saying she was accepted into our first choice of school, so we're super excited.  She has a few friends with their names down at the same school, so I'll find out this arvo if they got in as well.

We chose our local Catholic school, as it fit best with what we wanted with a school - a good size (4 prep classes, rather than either 2 or 6 like a few of our other choices), lots of family involvement, less than 5 minutes from home, reasonable fees, good choice in extra curricular, a fair bit of green space, good technology.  

In term 3 parents do an orientation evening, and the next day the kids will go for orientation.

They're very strict on uniforms (which I like), but very expensive!  It goes right down to school ribbons and socks.  She's already a Sz 5, so no worries about uniforms being to small.  My biggest battle will be getting her out of sneakers and into black shiny mary janes.

#28 Tall Poppy

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (mrsznasty @ 18/06/2013, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BadKitteh, if you are worrying at all if your DD will be ready next year, I can send you some info we were given at a preschool info night?

If your DD goes to preschool or LDC they would be able to give you a good idea of how they think she will cope.

Thanks that would be very helpful, can you PM it to me? DD used to go to LDC but not at the moment and by starting next year she won't be going again. There is no way we can stretch to it at the moment.

QUOTE (mayahlb @ 18/06/2013, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BadKitteh - school uniforms (2 full sets) was about $100 here, the shirt the most. They might have a uniform list price on their website. Booklist wise, we paid $60 for the year and the fees were $60 for the year (this is voluntary though, you can leave it until later in the year). This is a fairly standard amount, I think the most I have heard is about $120 for a booklist and about $90-120 for fees. Uniform wise I'd probably budget about $200, but different schools have different prices. T only need a shirt, which was $25 each and plain black shorts (which were seriously hard to find as the school shorts were too big. I ended up getting my best friend to buy them at her local big w and send them over. But I live literally in the middle of nowhere). I think it is fairly normally to wonder if they are ready for school. Especially with your first, as it is so different to other situations like daycare etc and you don't have the experience yet.

Thanks, very much appreciated. I checked the website & the price list is on it for uniforms so that gives me a good starting point. $50 for 1 school dress  ohmy.gif The skort & polo is $60.

QUOTE (*Lena* @ 18/06/2013, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was worried about his social and emotional readiness last year and I can see how much that has improved in the last 6 months. I think he would have been fine academically but I have seen so many children not handle school socially and emotionally and it really does make it hard for the child, more so then having trouble academically.

Thanks, glad to see how other parents have handled it.

#29 Tall Poppy

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the PM mrsznasty .

I have completed and returned DD enrolment form! The secretary said we will get a letter towards the end of term 3 & they have a couple of orientation sessions in term 4. So, the info is coming but slowly!

DD asked me the other day if school will have a toilet.  original.gif That question I could answer and she was most relieved to know that they do and she wouldn't need to hold on all day.

#30 Sif

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I just handed in the forms for our youngest to start school next year. He'll be five in October. Academically and socially he is ready NOW (he thought he was starting school in February with his brother and was pretty disappointed to find it was only kindergarten, LOL).

I just measured him and right now he's 101cm tall. I'm expecting his school bag will hang down below his knees, LOL. His personality makes up for his height though biggrin.gif.

#31 lynneyours

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Badkitteh - see if they sell 2nd hand uniforms at the school, or on the local buy,sell,swap facebook group etc.  That will reduce the cost.  

At our local school - they are giving them away right now free, at our to-be school they sell them for $2.

#32 Kalota

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

I'm not a parent but I'm a Prep teacher. I think if you, the parent, who knows your child best, feel that she will be OK then go with your gut and send her original.gif I have so many 4 year olds starting their FYOS every year and many of them cope just fine which blows the whole "waiting" theory out of the water. In my experience, if a child is going to struggle at school, they will struggle whether they are held back or not. I would send her.

#33 Fourteenyears

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

OP I'm still seriously considering sending my May birthday next year, but it's quite a dilemma.  

The preschool teacher is no help - says there's no obvious reason not to send her, but there's nothing screaming 'send her' either.  All of her friends are going next year (although not to the same school) and she hates the idea of not going too.  Her older brother is at school, she's already reading a little bit, and she holds her own socially at preschool, although it is obvious when you're looking at the kids that she's a good bit younger than many of her preschool peers.  And she's so little...

I'll probably keep my options open and decide in November or so - expensive given how much the preschool wants as a deposit for next year - but at this point I have no idea how to call it.

May birthdays are hard.  In at least one state she would have to start, in other states she'd have to wait.  It's tricky living in a state that makes us choose.

#34 twirling

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

My DD has already enrolled and had her interview but we received her official letter of acceptance yesturday and it informs us of her transition days later in the year. She will go to her future class for a half day, once a fortnight from the end of August til the end of the year! I think this is brilliant and DD is soooo excited but I'm very suprised. My elder 2 DD's just did 2 mornings in November before they started (same school). Is this what other schools are doing too? I think it's a wonderful way for them to get used to big school before having to go full time!

#35 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Miss almost 5 now has a meeting with one of the Kindy teachers for next year. The appointment is not for me, I just have to get her there and sit quietly in the room, lol. I thought I would have a little bit longer before 'our' appointments became 'her' appointments!

She tells me at least once a week 'after christmas and then mummys birthday, I go to big school' :-)

She will also have transition for 2 hours, every wednesday beginning October 16 until the end of the school year

#36 Tall Poppy

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (lynnemine @ 28/06/2013, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Badkitteh - see if they sell 2nd hand uniforms at the school, or on the local buy,sell,swap facebook group etc.  That will reduce the cost.  

At our local school - they are giving them away right now free, at our to-be school they sell them for $2.

Good tip, I'll look into it. Thanks

I agree with everyone saying judge each child individually. I am, coming around to the idea that DD will be fine next year. She is super excited and talks about it a lot. She desperately wants to learn to read and write.
There is no right or wrong, we can all only try to do what is right for our kids.

My DH thinks if she starts and is out of her depth we will pull her out and she can start the following year. I worry that might be too upsetting for her though. She will probably be fine and alley worries will amount to nothing.

#37 gizboo

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Just filling out the calendar for July (bit late this month, but its school hols!!), and had already written 'Letters of acceptance due' in DS2's column for the 26th! He will be accepted being #3, but its still so exciting! lol
I can't believe it's July!!  huh.gif

#38 1200

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

my girl will be 5 in Aug (next month). I would like to put her into Year 1.  We are heading to syd end of this yr. this year is her third year in school. so i think she can handle it.
however, i am not sure if it is ok, as the cut off day is 31 July.

does anyone here living in Syd Eastern sub? as we are moving from overseas. would like to get more info about the primary sch in these areas.

i am still working out with the catchment zone

Edited by 1200, 22 July 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#39 newphase

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

1200 You daughter would go into Kinder in NSW next year if she is turning five this year. No way around this unless you have her assessed as gifted, jump thru many hoops and evaluations.

#40 iwanttosleepin

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

My ds2 starts the prep equivalent in September.  He's 5 in October but has already done a year full time at school as is he way where we live (overseas).  He's one of the oldest in his class.  The kids start 5 days a week at school from 3 years.
He gets a new teacher but the kids in his class don't change.

#41 Nofliesonme

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

DD2 turns 5 in October and goes to prep next year. My baby girl is growing up.

#42 Ianthe

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

For those that aren't sure about school readiness contact your local school and see if you can chat with them about it. Our school is very happy to talk to parents that aren't sure to ensure the kids start at the best possible time.

#43 bondi19

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

1200 - in Syd East Subs  there are very good public schools & private schools - Rose Bay Public, Vaucluse Primary Bellevue Hill Primary have great reps. There are also some Catholic schools and private - kambala, kincoppal, st cath's, ascham, sceggs, reddam....

#44 Tall Poppy

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Bumping so any others who might want to chat can! :smile:

I am still eagerly awaiting our letter of acceptance from our local school, it's a formality really as it is our zoned public school they have to take us. I want it so I can plan in our diary the days we need to visit the school later in the year.

DD seems to have grown up a lot lately and even though it really has only been a few weeks since I started this thread I am more confident in sending her to school next year.

#45 Tall Poppy

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

I've just sent Therese a PM to get this thread linked like the other years so, we don't slip down the page too much.

#46 Fourteenyears

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

For those that aren't sure about school readiness contact your local school and see if you can chat with them about it. Our school is very happy to talk to parents that aren't sure to ensure the kids start at the best possible time.

I did that!  They were all "May Birthday?  Gosh yes, send her along".  Which left me alone with my quandry again.  Although it makes me feel a bit better knowing that's the advice being given out and that if I do send my May child she's unlikely to be the only young one.

#47 GoBack2Bed

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Had my sons prep information session last night so my husband and I went along. We are so excited! Met lots of the teachers and they all seem awesome so far and we've encountered them all on two separate occasions and seen them interact with kids so we are very happy.

On a side note they confirmed they already have 40 enrolments so definite two classes. If they get 50 they will do 3 classes.

I hope they get the extra ten as it will mean smaller class sizes but still really happy with our choice.

My son turns 5 in mid march so will be a younger one but we think he's ready and his kinder agrees. They didn't agree two months ago though lol

#48 Therese

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

I have pinned this now :)

Enjoy the excitement of preparing for the first year of school :)

#49 Tall Poppy

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostEight.years, on 08 August 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

I did that!  They were all "May Birthday?  Gosh yes, send her along".  Which left me alone with my quandry again.  Although it makes me feel a bit better knowing that's the advice being given out and that if I do send my May child she's unlikely to be the only young one.
My DD is April & I spoke with the school and were like maybe/ maybe not. So, no further help there. DD has grown up a lot though in the las few weeks so I'm more confident now than I was.

View PostTherese, on 11 August 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

I have pinned this now :)

Enjoy the excitement of preparing for the first year of school :)
Thanks!

#50 mayahlb

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

Tall Poppy that is great that your DD seems more ready. You have reminded me yet again that I have forgotten to take in a piece of paper for enrollment for T. I signed the paperwork the other day (only 2 weeks late ;) ) but keep forgetting to take in our power bill for proof of residence. I am still stressed wondering how he will cope, as his communication and social skills are really not very good. But he seems to be getting much better now and interacting more with the kids in his kindy class, so I do have hope. He has also shot up another couple of cm's and if I should bother buying him a new school shirt (he attends 4 yr kindy at the school so has the uniform already) yet. It's just so much easier if I have one for the 3 days he goes at the moment.

Does anyone else have to drive a good distance to drop their child off? One thing I am not looking forward to next year is that I will have to come into town thur/fri and hang around until he finishes. I could drive home but it is 25km away and it would seem a waste of fuel. So need to find some activities for myself and the 3 (who will be almost 4) year old

What is the cut off in NSW? Is it May or something, as you keep saying that a May or April child could be held back. In WA you only have that option if they are June baby (Cut off is June 31st. DS2 will be home an extra year because he is a July baby, so start FYOS when he is 5.5). It doesn't seem that holding them back happens very often here.

Edited by mayahlb, 13 August 2013 - 06:21 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.