FYOS 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

#51 Ianthe

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

July 31st is the NSW cutoff. But I don't know anyone that has sent a June/July kid around here for the past 10 years or so. Oscar turns 5 next January and will have two kids that I know of that will turn 6 in January in his year.

#52 gabbigirl

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

My daughter who just turned 5 starts prep next year.(we're in qld).

Does anyon else have concerns about how their 5yo will cope , energy wise. DD has only just given up her day sleeps at daycare and is now a nightmare at nighttime.  Doesn't want to have a bath, and is so cranky.  Generally cries every daycare night.  Not too bad on days at home, as we generally take it easy.   Any tips?!?

#53 karkat

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thought I'd join in too. DD1 is 5 in Dec and off to prep next year (QLD). We had a couple of nervous days here as the school that we enrolled her in has now become a capped/zoned school and we're about 200m outside the boundary! Fortunately because her paperwork was in she has a confirmed spot for next year (and her 2 younger sisters when it's their turn). It's a much in demand state school that's had such a huge increase in enrolments over the last few years that there are 1.5 classes in grade 3 and up but 2.5-3 classes in prep-2, so they've been bursting at the seams this year and there physically no more room to handle another 3 class grade

I'm also a bit concerned about how DD will cope with her energy levels too, I think she'll be fine at school but we'll be dealing with a tired cranky girl by about Wednesday afternoon. At the moment DD does a 5 day fortnight for Kindy and come the Friday of a 3 day kindy week she's a mess. DD hasn't been sleeping at kindy for almost a year now but has started sleeping on a Saturday afternoon in the last few weeks as she's just getting more and more tired.

Academically and socially I think DD will thrive next year, her Kindy teacher's have been great in working on her confidence in social situations and now she has a lovely little group of friends (who are all going to the same school next year!).

She's so looking forward to it and keeps asking when can we go and look at prep (open day in 3 weeks) and when can she get her purple (uniform) shirt. DD's quite lucky in that she did kindy last year and as we're in a reasonably small town they put the 3 yr olds in with the 4-5 yr olds, so she watched almost her entire kindy class head off to prep this year, so she'll know a few of the Grade 1 kids too.

I guess all the open days/orientation sessions will be starting soon, will be great for our kids to start checking out their new worlds!

#54 Ianthe

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

We have parent information night on October 14th (which I could skip as I have had kids at the school since it opened in 2005 ;) and then the kids go to the kindy rooms for 2 hrs on October 22nd.

#55 *Lena*

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

I kept DS back (which I think I mentioned earlier in this thread??) so he will be turning 6 in February. It was the best decision I could have made, I have seen him grow up especially socially so much this past year.

We have our meet the principal day next Thursday. Unfortunately we are going to miss his first real orientation day where I go with the parents and he goes with the kids and meets his buddy etc. as it is the same day my sister is getting married at a destination wedding. If it was the day before or after I would do the extra travelling even with a 10 day old newborn and the 3 other kids but it has to be the same day.  

He will have two other one hour ones where I don't stay later though. Hopefully he will take to it well so I don't have to stress all holidays.He still sometimes jacks up at me taking him to pre school and wants to come home with me, although not very often.

#56 Bastet

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hi
I just came across this thread and I'd like to join in as well.
I have my 3rd and last starting school next year. She is going to be the youngest one at school as she won't be turning 5 till June next year. I was (and just a little bit still) worried about sending her and did have thoughts of keeping her back another year. Her preschool says she is ready. When had her prep interview and they did mention that due to her age they would keep an eye on her a little bit more.

She is a very confident little girl, being the youngest of 3 girls means she likes to be heard! I have a larger gap between Neve and the older 2 so she does try at times to be like her big sisters.

My only concern is that due to Neve's preschool unable to find a teacher for her final year and with her age is that she may be behind the older kids. Is there any online resources around that anyone knows of where I can do some extra things at home with her to help her out?

Zoe

#57 Tall Poppy

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

We've got our meet the Executive team meeting at the school this Thursday night. DD needs to attend as well. Not sure what that will be about but, we will see on the night. Then there's some seminar in a few weeks and the actual orientation dates in October & November. It's really happening...

Bastet maybe ask the school for some ideas.

karkat would an earlier bedtime help? My Mum said when my sister started school she was usually in bed by 6pm. It sounds early but that's what she needed to function. My friend had her child start FYOS last year and the school called her a few times to come and collect her DS as he was so tired. Apparently it wasn't that uncommon. I am hoping school might tire DD out a bit and get her sleepy a bit earlier.

#58 mayahlb

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

I know DS is going to be grumpy and tired, as he was for at least teh first 6 months of 4 year kindy (used to fall asleep ont he way home at 5ish then sleep until 6 the next morning. If I woke him for dinner he used to fall asleep at the table). But he will be fine I think and get used to it. Apparently it isn't uncommon for some prep kids to have a nap for 30mins or so during quiet mat time after lunch at our school (DS's 4 year kindy teacher has taught both prep and the kindy classes.)

I am more worried that he isn't going to cope socially or emotionally. He has turned into such an emotionally child since may, I just don't know how or why, or even how to cope with it. Add in his speech issues and I think I am more stressed about him starting full-time school then he is.

Bastet - I know a couple of prep teachers and they said they are fine if your child doesn't know anything beyond how to recognise her name, and the basics of using a lunchbox, putting stuff in their bags and asking to go to the toilet. DS is at 4 yr kindy and I don't think he will know much more then that by the end of the year. He attempts to write his name but can't do it without copying a card and even then it looks like a giant scribble. He can count to 10 but needs help because 1 isn't a number apparently and the rest are counted at random without help. You could try starfall.com if you want some alphabet and phonics games. We just do lots of counting, reading at home, colours and shapes.

#59 gabbigirl

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

We had the parent info session this week.  Knew a few of the mums.  The school sounds great.  But geez afterwards I got so emotional at the thought of my baby going to school. wTF is that about?  I have had her in day care since she was a baby, and have been looking forward to her starting school. And now i am getting all sooky??

#60 gizboo

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

It feels like we are just on a countdown here. For the first time, I'm actually a bit sad to let one go :)
DS2 turns 5 tomorrow, his uniform & kit (bag, library bag, hat) are all on layby at the college and orientation starts in October (2hrs x 4 consecutive Weds).

Poor M is a bit disappointed he doesn't start school tomorrow and 'after Christmas' seems a long ways away, so I haven't told him he doesn't actually start until February 3rd lol

#61 Working_Mummy

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

HI all, I have a boy turning 5 in Feb he will start Prep at a public school next year. He is my eldest so I have no experience with this.

We had his 'interview' a couple of weeks ago and passed all the testing (Spelling & Writing his name, Upper & Lower case letter & number recognition, counting, colours, shapes, describing the picture, colouring the picture and puzzle - I think that was everything).

The principal said she would like his hand writting to have been a bit better - I was shocked at this, I thought they would have been happy that he could recognise / spell it.

Anyway, i've been out buying some activity books so he can practice his writting before our next session at school in October.  But I am worried, 3 different books each one does the lower case a different.  Isn't this what they are supposed to teach them?

Has anyone else had this sort of experience with a public school?  

This isn't my closest public school, but it is not governed by zoning so I am wondering if they are just being a bit choosy?

PS - we are saying after 'Australia Day' because I know saying after Christmas and he is going to wake up boxing day with his uniform on...

Edited by Working_Mummy, 08 September 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#62 mayahlb

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Working mummy - wow, um Tristan wouldn't pass that test. He can barely write his name (has very little interest in writing at all, but they write their names each morning at 4 yr kindy). And his handwriting is atrocious, all over the place and different sizes. Handwriting wise they use cursive normally (which is half the reason T has issues, he doesn't get the curvy tails), but I think standard block letters are better. He does know most shapes and colours, can do puzzles, we are still working on numbers (he thinks 1 shouldn't exist and will only count by 2's or 3's or randomly) etc but trying to get him to describe something would end up in wanting me to bang my head against something ;)

#63 newphase

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

We had his 'interview' a couple of weeks ago and passed all the testing (Spelling & Writing his name, Upper & Lower case letter & number recognition, counting, colours, shapes, describing the picture, colouring the picture and puzzle - I think that was everything).
Wholly mackerel, my DS would have failed half of that. A bit ambitious for the school I think. SO much pressure to read Harry Potter by end of Prep/Kinder and write a 1500 book review on it so to speak. It is getting ridiculous IMHO.

My DS had a private school interview (and my 14 and 12 went a private school, different one though and much better, and they just met them and said hi and got them to draw a picture whilst we talked) in April, and after that I more or less told the principal I thought his grilling questions re a 5yo's skills (reading, writing, knowing letters upper and lowercase, shapes, numbers and on, and on) were ridiculous and I didn't want to be considered for the school anymore (I almost walked out of the interview several times).

I wanted a good school, but not a hot house one! The initial good vibe I had went over my head and out the window. The principal was an idiot out of touch with reality. He was more like a business manager rather than a school leader.

Anyway, I chose the school my DS2 will be going to on Wednesday (after much angst) and laybyd his uniform. Glad to finally decide and stand firm on it. I got info in the mail yesterday re transition days in Oct and Nov and final one 11th Dec, and parents info nights x 2 in Oct.

#64 mayahlb

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Newphase, glad I am not the only one that wonders how or why on earth my child should already know all these things. Or if I ma doing something wrong because he doesn't know these things. I thought they were suppose to learn them during the fyos. And quiet honestly I believe that FYOS should be play based, which the school my DS is going to (and the others in my area) are. They still learn numbers/reading etc but through play. They do things like have "reading rocks" where they sit on blankets and cushions etc and have books read to them them do words that can be associated with their surroundings. Also I knopw personally with my son he needs movement breaks where he can get up and jump, run around or he just doens't have the ability to concentrate. The more play and movement he has the better he learns.

I am really starting to wish that we had alternative option here because the more ridgid the younger years of school are becoming the more I think a steiner or reggio emilia based school would work for my son.

Edited by mayahlb, 16 September 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#65 BeAwesome

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

My daughter is turning 5 in a few weeks, and was a bit disappointed that she's not starting school that day, as we'd been saying, she'll start school 'when she's 5'.  Oops.  

We will have orientation the week after than, and purchasing uniforms, so I hope that will keep her happy for a few more months!

My biggest concern next year is tiredness, we're also in Qld and doing the 5 day fortnight kindy program currently.  She absolutely loves her extra-curricular stuff (gymnastics and ballet), and it'll be a big change from doing them in the morning on non-kindy days, to doing a full day of school, then an after school activity a couple of times a week.

#66 newphase

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

And maybe, just maybe I have decided on a different PS for DS2 25min drive away :ninja: .
I feel I am not sold at all on the two local options I am faced with, and coming across, what I consider a hidden gem, a smaller PS in another area not zoned or with an enrolment has me very excited for the 1st time re DS starting Prep in 2014.Posted Image

#67 OneMore?

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

My final baby DD is off to school in the new year, she turns 5 in Dec. She is SO ready, she now cries at kindy drop off as its boring and she wants to go to school (she is driving me crazy). She has two brothers at the school, goes to the school every day it is across the road from her kindy and she started swim club at the school last week - she is so ready.

We too had a test:
- following a beading sequence (red, blue, yellow)
- identifying upper and lower case random letters
- cutting along wavy line
- following verbal instructions (colour in the circle yellow)
- write your name
- match the words ball, dog, pan with the picture

The deputy said it is so that they get a good mix of students in each class (usually 6 or so prep classes).

Our biggest issue it DD has a day sleep every day and a few health issues (stamina can suffer), we have told the school we will keep her home every now and again if she is too tired, they were fine with that.

Very exciting though :)

#68 aluminium

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

What is this?
Orientation is at the end of the month, we've been trying on uniforms - DD is SUPER excited and I'm as nervous as hell?

How do Mummy's cope when their first born heads to school?!

I'm all kinds of crazy about it and she'll be at the school I teach in!

Gah.

#69 dae-gu

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

View Postmrsznasty, on 15 October 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

The only thing I am finding odd and would like to hear others' experiences is that we haven't met or seen the Principal (couldn't tell you his/her name) and at orientation yesterday, the teachers didn't introduce themselves.

We had Orientation yesterday. Our Principal wasn't there, or even mentioned either, but, as a parent already at the school, I do know that he is currently working at another school for a short period of time. Perhaps something like that was happening....? He/she could also have been on long service leave, away sick or at some meeting that could NOT have been missed.

#70 liveworkplay

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I sort of don't belong here but my youngest is off to school next year but here our first year at the school is kindergarten (preschool) and although noncompulsory, it is the intake year. Our formal fyos is prep for 5 year Olds.

So dd 3 will be 4.5. She already had her uniform and knows her teacher and can't wait for it all to start. She will be at school 3 says and daycare the other 2. She was born when my eldest was in kinder so she knows the school well. She also has one of her besties from daycare going and knows a lot if the siblings of my other kids friends.

My only issue us the fact that she doesn't sleep well at night which means she still usually naps of a day. She has restless leg syndrome which doesnt help.

But I can't wait to have them all at the same place at the same time (for at least part of the week) although dd 3 is a terror to get ready if a morning so having to get the three ready and out the door by 745 and myself by 730 (DH walks then to school) could be interesting........for DH at  :lol:

Edited by liveworkplay, 16 October 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#71 mayahlb

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

liveworkplay you are in WA aren't you? My eldest is just moving from kindy to pre-primary (FYOS full-time) next year. It has certainly helped with both us getting to know the routine, have the unifroms, lunch box, bags etc. (I also wish my youngest was starting kindy next year but he is a july baby so missed the cut off despite being very very ready)

mrsnazty - Tristan would be doing the normal daycare routine before starting in February but it worked out that with my annual leave I don't have to go back to work until the week after school starts. Therefore no daycare needed (and mine is lovely and flexible in allowing me to cancel the enrolement then reenrol the kids starting feb next year). But he will be doing after school care with the daycare Mon-wed next year (they pick him up) because I work those days. And depnedingin on circumstances he will do vactation care with them also. But they can take kids up to 6  think. I jsut prefer him being with the younger group rather then the older kids in the after school programs.

#72 Ianthe

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

I missed the parent's orientation that was on Monday night and I am not terribly well but I'll be honest I also think I am in denial about it.

He goes next Tuesday for a couple of hours in the morning.

I am more conflicted about him starting than any of my other kids. I have had kids in school since 2002, this shouldn't be so hard!

#73 ~river song~

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Postmrsznasty, on 16 October 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

A question for you all, if your LO is attending preschool/day care this year, are they continuing in January before school starts?

Don't belong here, but I think you'll find most don't offer it if they are going to school in a few weeks. They would need to be in vacation care. At least thats the deal at the centres I know of

#74 Ianthe

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Oh yes I meant to answer that. My older kids did attend daycare in the January but there are no places at the moment and I wouldn't bother with Oscar anyway.

But once your kid is enrolled in school, they can attend school holiday programs.

#75 mayahlb

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Etonian - it's strange you say that because my best friend in Brisbane had her daughter at daycare right up until she started FYOS last year. Maybe it is different depending on what state you live in. Our daycare will take them until they are 6 as long as they have space. Our school holiday programs won't until they are over 6 or in year 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.