What are the pitfalls of running a child care centre?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Chelli

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

I think the PPs covered it well. Lack of wage means that eventually your staff will leave, especially if the wage is a primary source of income.

There is a high burnout rate due to be over-worked and underpaid, as well as many complex behavioural issues that present themselves nowadays.

Really huge expectations are placed on centres that they MUST conform to if the parents wish to receive CCB, and if you would like to keep the doors open. You really are at the mercy of the government of the day as they can put changes into place at a whim and sometimes that can mean your staff need to be retrained. Placing a degree-qualified person in a centre is fine, but I'm not sure how long they will last when they find out all the paperwork involved. There is WAY more paperwork in child care, with many many more children to deal with than they will ever have to worry about working in a school. Not sure how well that policy was thought through wink.gif I get where they're coming from, but they will have to address wages before they expect everyone to become highly qualified.

#27 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Mozzie1 @ 19/06/2013, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't planning to run it.

and that's an additional cost.

A friend + her DH run a childcare centre. It took them about 2-3 years to set it up (finding a suitable block, getting approvals, getting it built, etc) Since it's opened, they've done 5 years so far, they have decided to do another 5 and then they expect they will be burnt out (although it sounds like that now).  My friend reckons the worse part of the staff management issues (she loves the kids, likes MOST of the parents), her DH is over the constant maintenance that needs to happens (kids can be rough on a building and/or equipment).  I used to think it sounded do-able, now I think it's a lot of work with little reward.

#28 WinterIsComing

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

The salaries that I saw on Seek might have been be for centres in our area. Currently, parents are paying $130-150 a day to send children to daycare around where I live.

When I was on tour of a particularly sought-after daycare (18 months waitlist), I asked what made them better. They answered that they worked hard to retain staff by providing great working conditions and paying well, and had low turnover.

I guess the jobs I saw advertised paid more since the centres they would work for charge significantly more than the rest of the country.

40 K or below is ridiculous, I agree. I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that the person who took care of my child was living on a breadline. How could I expect high level of care and attention if the person wasn't rewarded for it?

I also understand that higher wages might be unsustainable for most operators. This is where the Government should subsidise the industry to make it more affordable and accessible option for parents wanting to return to work and a better place to work for carers of our children.

#29 lexington

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

But they already do, it's called CCR and CCB.

#30 paradox

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

It doesn't get better with Out of School Hours Care either.  When the manager walked out of a local centre without notice, I was called in to replace her for the 3 weeks it took to advertise and find a replacement. The school was absolutely desperate because to open the doors that afternoon they had to have a qualified person in charge of the care. I, a 4 year trained teacher with a double undergrad degree, had to be available 6am til 9, then 3-6.30pm everyday, and was paid $22 an hour for the privilege. I was paid over $21 per hour several years earlier to work at Target, with no responsibility, better hours, no education and no rubbish from parents who think it's fine to go off at you for moving their child out of the main room and into your office with you for 15min for cooling down after punching another kid.

#31 redleaves

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Elizabeth Swann, on 19 June 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

The boss of DD's old daycare also drove a BMW and lived on the waterfront, but for the first 10 years of owning the centre he lived in poverty and relied on the income his wife brought in from her job to keep their tiny home and put food on the table for the family.  It took a long time to recover the cost of building a centre before he started making profit from it.  Still even with how successful it is, his wife is unable to give up her job because things could change at any time so they need at least one stable income.  I considered buying a centre with a friend but the risks were too high, so I did family daycare from home which is all government regulated but without such a high turnover.  The biggest costs were for things like modifications to the home (which increased property value anyway) and I've now bought a bigger car and bought top of the line carseats in preparation for reopening.

How are you going with preparations for re-opening in FDC?
I am just starting out so any info is much appreciated.
thanks

#32 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

PP try opening a new thread :).  You'll probably get more responses that way than a post in a zombie thread.

#33 Ruby red shoes

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

mrsznasty, on 19 June 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

QUOTE (WinterIsComing @ 19/06/2013, 08:59 PM)
Spending a day with a bunch of beautiful children gotta be better than spending a day in a soulless office staffed with egomaniacs and control freaks...just saying!

Ummm a room full of children can be just that... egomaniacs and control freaks. Only you can't walk away or even take a lunch break in most centres! And sometimes they bite!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.