IVF Multiple Cycles & the Long Haul BG #17

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#26 Dadora

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Estelle - I'm so sorry to hear you news on your embryo sad.gif look after yourself as much as possible and vent on here as much as you want

sariele - I'm so glad to hear your little one is sticky original.gif certainly gives me hope that it definitely can and does happen. Enjoy your holiday. I hope it is very uneventful in the good way original.gif

Hello emski, mrae and sparky original.gif

AFM - stopped pessaries on Monday and was expecting AF in full force but there has been nothing. Does anyone know how long it takes to m/c? I just want it over so we can start fresh again.

#27 MRae

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Hi Dadora & estel. I had a tear in my eye reading your stories. I dont know why it has to be so difficult for us.  Dadora im not sure sorry. I hope you take a little bit of time to spoil yourselves. xx

AF has arrived for me.  And I have these massive glands that have appeared under my right ear. Thats 7 embryo's transferred. Everything looks good before they go in, lining, hormones etc. They just dont implant. Ive got 2 more left from this cycle. Obviously ill put them in. But she isnt modifying my protocol (its standard protocol) she said to rest assured they are doing everything possible. What would you do?

#28 emski72

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

Have you had immune testing?

#29 Sparky10

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hi Ladies

What a rough week (except for you Sariele....you are a beacon of hope )

Dadora - I had a D&C with my MC so unfortunately I can't shed any light on when AF might start. I hope it is soon for you so you can start moving forward

MRae - I'm so sorry. I'm not sure how much testing you had done before you started IVF but if you haven't had a lot I would seriously consider doing some investigations before putting any more embyros back in. There are a number of things you can check. Some can be fixed quite easily so it is worth looking into them. If you haven't already I would consider getting the following tests done:

- As emski said, immune testing. It's just a blood test and fairly simple biopsy. It's an issue that can be treated fairly easily with drugs so worth checking out.
-  Laparscopy (or hysteroscopy if you want a less invasive option) - many woman have endometriosis and or other uterine issues and don't even know about them. I had this procedure done a couple of months ago and it was fairly straightforward and whilst I didn't discover any issues it has given me peace of mind.
- Genetic testing - have you been checked for genetic issues such as translocations? My FS checked this for me before we started IVF but I know not all FS do (as the test is a bit pricey - around $400). However it is vital information as if I hadn't found out about my translocation I would have put back in 8 embryos by now and they all would of failed due to chromosome issues.

Sorry for the long post but I hope the above is helpful.

Hi to everyone else. I'm thinking of you all.

#30 MRae

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hi Sparky & emski, ive had some bloods done that showed I was positive for ANA antibodies but nothing else.  I haven't had a biopsy. I have had a laparoscopy in 2010 which found very mild endo and they did a biopsy then but not sure what for.  But when I asked my FS if I should have another she said that its nothing to be concerned about. I've had tubes checked and flushed with no issues found.  I have made an appointment with Dr M - Reproductive Immunologist to do further testing.

My miscarriage did show a chromosomal abnormality to be the issue.  They told me exactly what abnormality but I cant remember. The staff said that it was a good outcome considering. But I didn't ask anymore at the time.  I will be getting a copy of my notes from current FS so Ill try to find out more about genetic issues that when I get them.

Thanks girls.

#31 Sparky10

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

MRae - sounds tricky. It could also just be bad luck. Are you transferring day 3 or 5 embryos?

Sounds like it might be worth investigating the immune issues some more before using your last frosties.

The only other thing I can suggest is that if you do attempt another stim cycle you consider PGD. It does add significant cost to a cycle (as there is no medicare rebate) but given you are spending so much on failed FETs it probably won't work out that much more for you. I've had 8 day 5 embryos tested so far and of them 6 had chromosome issues and the other 2 I got no test result. It has been devastating getting nothing healthy to transfer each cycle but I think I would feel even worse if I hadn't tested them and had put all 8 embryos back in and had each one fail. Just something to think about.....

#32 estel2

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

MRae- I'm really sorry to hear your news. It could  of course be bad luck but its always  worrying.

When we were going through,I think I was tested for clotting factors  and also thyroid issues, and we were both karyotyped to see if we had any problems (some people have balanced translations of parts of genes that cause no problems to them but can cause fertility issues). None of them applied in our case but they can all cause problems.  But you may also want to ask more about those ANA antibodies.  Some FS used to do cycles with low dose asprin or steriods for some of these issues.

Other things to ask about: I found out I had a uterine sept. Didn't find out about that until my sister ran into trouble with the same thing (though didn't affect fertility for her). Apparently I have a fairly minor one which shouldn't have made any difference. (On the other hand they are more frequent for women with fertility problems.)

If you are  transfering day 3 embryos,it consider asking for a day 5 transfer if you end up doing another fresh cycle. You sound like you have enough embryos from your cycle to go for it. Quite a high percentage of embryos do have abnormalities.  Like Sparky we tried PGD after a number of cycles and had about 25% embryos normal.

#33 Sparky10

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hi Ladies

Just a question from me today. Is anyone on a really high dosage of Puregon and if so has it affected your egg quality? I've been on a dosage of 300 for my past 4 cycles. My FS has always said this was the maximum dosage she would put me on because anything higher risks affecting the quality of my eggs. I've just got my plan for my next cycle and it seems she is putting me up to a dosage of 375. I'm all for trying to get more eggs (as I only get 4 usually) but I'm bit worried now that we might be sacrificing quality for quantity. Unfortunately FS is on holidays at the moment so I can't ask her if she has new evidence that 375 will be ok or if she it just playing trial and error......

Thanks

#34 MRae

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

hi girls, thanks.  Estel they are 5 day embryos and Im on low dose aspirin for ANA. I'll add researching uterine sept to my list and will ask for PGD next pick up thanks. I asked current FS for bondi protocol of steriods and blood thinners but she said she didn't agree with it due to the side effects - she said I could do it if I wanted but that she didn't advise it.  I'll discuss this approach with the reproductive immunologist and he can put me on that if he wishes. I'll take those side effects gladly if it brings an end to this sad cycle of events.

Sparky I'm sorry I cant help.  I think I was only on 150 puregon as I am hypersensitive to over stimulation apparently. My FS is on holidays at the FS conference too.  They must all be living it up O/S atm.  Hopefully they can learn something new that will help us!

AF is being a witch.  I cant remember having a more painful time of it or ages.  my previous stimulated cycles were all lighter periods.  She had me up at 2am and I'll I could do was pace in the lounge room with a hot pack.  I am supposed to have a wage review with my bosses today, I have rescheduled because I am in no fit state to go into battle with them as well today.

How are you other lovely ladies going.  Are you indulging in nice things.  My favs are Green & Blacks organic milk chocolate from coles.  In the blue packet. And coles brand choc chip cookies. Sushi.  And a good bottle of red wine.  A bottle has my name on it tonight (not the whole bottle - maybe just two glasses original.gif )

#35 Sparky10

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Gosh, this thread has gone quiet. How is everyone? Emski have you started your cycle yet?

Another 3 weeks for me before I start my next cycle......hurry up time. I just want to get on with it now!

#36 emski72

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

hi sparky I haven't started yet probably the 17th at this stage as I only got a positive ovulation test yesterday which is much later than expected, I picked up my medication Friday so am all ready to go! Giving it the old natural try in the interim!

#37 emski72

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Dp

Edited by emski72, 08 July 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#38 MRae

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

good luck Emski and Sparky with your cycles.  I'm sure this thread will pick up again soon when we shake ourselves off and start up again.  I'll have a natural try this month too Emski until I meet with Dr M to get a second opinion on the immune stuff. I'll let you all know what he says and does.  It should be interesting.  I'm a bit scared he'll say, nope cant find anything.... That would be annoying.

Have a great weekend, I'm just at the start of a cold that my husband has had for the past week.  Heading home from work now to rug up and become one with limsip.

#39 AmberSpark

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi Ladies, sorry I have been MIA - been on two weeks leave for school holiday and decided to take a break from reading all things TTC as well.

Estel and Dadora - I am so very sorry. Sending you hugs.

Sariele - sorry that I missed your good news. Best of luck with everything. original.gif

AFM: So I am one month into my DHEA tablets and this cycle DH and I tracked O and tried naturally. Hoping for a miracle....before another ICSI cycle. I am due on Thursday. Nice and relaxed after a great long weekend in Apollo Bay.

#40 Sparky10

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hi Ladies

Amberspark - hope you had a nice break. I keep thinking I should take a break from EB but I think I'm too addicted. FX for a natural miracle this month.

MRae - I will be interested to hear what Dr M says. I saw Dr S about my NK cell issue and, despite one of my results coming back very high, he largely dismissed it as an issue. I'm still going to use clexane and prednisolone for my next transfer just in case.

Emski - you must be starting your next cycle soon. Good luck.

Hi to everyone else. Hope you are all coping ok.

AFM - I o'd over the weekend so hoping for a natural miracle. AF is due around 27th so unless there is a miracle I will be starting my next round of IVF then. It can't come quick enough!

#41 AmberSpark

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Good Luck Sparky10 - we can all pray for a natural miracle. I keep hearing they happen. Hopefully for us it will.

AFM: My break was a great one, spent the first week catching up with family and friends, I thought that I had made a decision to be comfortable with me never having a family but my cousin came to stay for a night at our place and she has a 5 month old that was born at 30 weeks, so corrective is 3 months and he made me or clucky again and I made a stand to myself to give everything for the next 6 months. My DH that night in bed said to me, maybe we should look at fostering, you have too much love to give for you not to be a mum. I cried and agreed that if this cycle doesn't work, we will look at fostering. I had my stepson the second week and that was really difficult, don't want to go into too much detail but he is 8 and been through a lot but his mum is starting to tell him stuff and he is becoming a nightmare, to the point we took him home a day early to teach him a lesson for being a horrible child. She is telling him that he doesn't have to listen to us and to get everything he can out of us. Its horrible.!!! Then I went to see PINK, she was amazing and loved the concert. Then as a treat, DH and I went away for the long weekend to Apollo Bay, down the Great Ocean Road and had a blast, bonded again and remembered why we love each other. It was so wonderful. So I feel alot better with our relationship and where we are heading. So I am 6 weeks into taking DHEA and have another 6 weeks to go. I am due for AF on Thursday, so looking at another 2 cycles before doing IVF again. September me thinks.

#42 emski72

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi Sparky - I'm patiently still waiting for AF... did a test today (just in case) but it was a BFN. I think my exploratory procedure last month has really effected my cycle.  She's due to show up today so here's hoping - I just want to get started (like you it seems).
Here's hoping you get your natural one this month.

Amber - sounds like you went through a bit on your break - but you came out with a bit of clarity on the way forward. That's always a good thing.
I've also thought of fostering and know it is an option for us in the future if this IVF caper fails. We are also looking at doing a donor egg cycle in South Africa if we can't conceive with our own eggs this year.

Good luck McRae with your natural cycle. I understand what you mean about not finding anything - I can't believe how sadly excited I was when my FS diagnosed me as coeliac so at least I had some sort of hope that if I correct that with a gluten free diet I might get pregnant. Here's wishing you all the best for your results though. I'm doing steroids, antibiotics, clexene this cycle for the first time... will be interested to see how it goes. I hope you're over your cold and feeling better.

Em x

#43 Sparky10

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Emski - I had a lap and hysteroscopy in April and the following month my AF was late too (5 days late and I am usually very regular). Unfortunately it does seem that these procedures mess with your cycle. I hope she arrives soon for you. Sorry about the BFN.

#44 Sparky10

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Any news yet Emski?

Another BFN for me this morning so back on the IVF bandwagon once AF arrives (due on Sat). Just hoping I have enough energy to get through another cycle as at the moment I'm finding it hard to stay positive.

How is everyone else doing?

#45 emski72

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

bbighug.gif Sorry to Read your update sparky.. it never gets any easier does it?
I have started stimming as of Sunday with my first scan tomorrow, feeling ok so far, just a bit tired. If everything goes according to plan (which they rarely do!) EPU should be Fri week.

Em x

Edited by emski72, 24 July 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#46 Sparky10

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

Good luck for tomorrow Emski. I hope you see some nice follies.

#47 AmberSpark

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Good Luck Emski - hope it all goes to plan.

Sparky10 - I hope you are feeling better. I hear you on the energy. I said to a friend yesterday that I am tired and I don't think she understood.

AFM: Nothing to report, just coming off a sinus infection that has knocked me for a loop. I am getting over all he drugs and pills I have to take.....DHEA is making me hairier and I hate it. Feel Like I have to check my chin when I go to the mirror all the time.

#48 Sparky10

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Amber - I'm with you on the DHEA hairiness. It is driving me insane. I can't wait to come off the stuff. Just praying it is doing our eggs some good so not all in vain.

I'm feeling a bit better today thanks. Started spotting so AF is definitely on the way and at least I can move forward. I spoke to my FS about my FSH dosage increase and she claims they have new data that suggests a higher dosage won't affect my egg quality. I hope she is right. Fingers crossed it's 5th time lucky. I'm not sure I can continue down this path much longer.

#49 AmberSpark

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Oh Sparky10 I hear you. Im going into number 4 and it is filling me with dread already and it won't be until September.

So I decided to do something and have enrolled to study - scary stuff but I figure I need to do something positive for me, as I have been stuck in limboland for the last 3 years. I am going to study Primary Teaching. :0)

#50 Sparky10

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Sounds like a great plan Amber. I totally understand the frustration of being in limbo land. We've been living there for 3 years too. I quit my professional job last year as it was really stressful and I didn't think I could handle it on top of the IVF. I've just been doing part time retail work since then. It was really good for awhile but starting to feel brain dead (and broke) now. I feel like I need to get back into the workforce and move on with my life. There are so many things we want to do around our house but we just can't afford it with the IVF expenses and me not really working. I'm still hopeful that this will be the magical cycle for us but I think I have to start being realistic that this may never work for us and start planning for the future. Sorry, that's my pity party for the day! Hopefully this is all just PMS and once AF arrives and I can get started my mood will improve.

Emski - I hope your scan went well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.