IVFers due in November 2013 Thread #2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
234 replies to this topic

#51 gc_melody

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Morning everyone,

Top day in my neck of the woods. It feels like spring is here :-)

Milano - how are you doing? I'm glad your OB was able to settle your mind and you got to see baby moving. How did your GD test go? Have you got the results?

April - how did your GD test go? I hope it went ok. How's the cough? I hope it's settling down for you.

clrw - How are you doing? How's the pelvic pain ? You did your GD test too. Did you get the results?

How is everyone else doing?

AFM - all is well with me. I finally went back to work last week and while I felt sore and tired each day, it was manageable. My physio is a miracle worker !!!  I've come so far compared to where I was weeks ago. Baby is moving a lot and I'm having BH daily now. I'm not worried unless they don't go away. I read somewhere that it's normal to feel them more frequently as the weeks go by. Had a scan last week and baby is doing fine. I saw the OB at the high risk clinic and he seemed to have an issue with older mums. He was quite rude really. I spoke with one of the midwives about it and she said they'd noticed it too. Oh well, you get all sorts I guess.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

#52 clrw

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hi all,

I just realized that it has been a week since my GD test and no call so I'm gathering all clear! Another hurdle past. Pelvis has also been behaving. Happy days!

Toddler is unfortunately sick and was prescribed antibiotics for the first time yesterday. Hoping he picks up quick smart otherwise he will miss his second trip away. DP and MIL are off to NZ on Thursday for a 60th.

Anyone using or thinking of getting an epi-no? I think I am going to... I've been doing my pelvic floor exercises for at least a year and I did them when DP was PG too. I just can't stop my pee mid stream.I think I need back up! Not to mention the perineum stretching..... So glamourous!!

#53 gc_melody

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hey clrw,

Glad you're feeling well. Sorry to hear your lo isn't well. All fingers crossed he feels better in time for his trip. Really glad to hear your pelvic pain is behaving itself and your GD test sounds like it would fine.

I had to Google what an epi no was, lol.  I don't plan on using one or doing the massage thing either. My first was born when I was 40 and I didn't tear so don't think it will be an issue this time either. Well, I'm not planning on it happening this time ;-)

Hope your little tacker feels well soon.

#54 April2608

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

hi

I'm considered to not have gd, but only by the skin of my teeth.
at the 2 hr blood test your considered gd if your sugar is above 8, mine was 7.9.

So i just need to watch what i eat, and go after low gi food.

I also had to google Epi-no.

CLRW, can you give us a bit more back ground on it?

I have heard of pelvic floor exercises, but no one has told me when to start, or how to do it. Or for that matter the benifits. Am I to late?

April

#55 clrw

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hi,

April - Pelvic Floor exercises should be started as early as possible. They are even an everyday anytime thing. No need to be pregnant. It's about strengthening your pelvic floor to try to prevent issues either later in life or after pregnancy such as bladder leakage and prolapses. Vaginal birth is pretty hard on your pelvic floor but even if you were having a CS the weight of the baby can cause damage over the 9 months. http://www.thewomens...cfloorexercises

GC - Wow, I want your stretchy perineum!! Lol.

I know the epi-no is pricey but I'm leaning towards it. Considering it can be used for both pelvic floor and perineum stretching I think it will be worth it. Apparently it gives feedback about your pelvic strength. It would be good to know now if I'm going my exercises right. Cheaper than seeing a physio to fix the problem afterwards...

Pretty low day today. DS had to be picked up from daycare again. DPs work made mention of the amount of carers leave she has had before she left to get him. It's so hard when they are constantly sick from daycare. You are either letting work down or dropping them off knowing they are not 100%. Getting sick of trying to keep all the plates in the air... Did I mention 6 more weeks to go??!!

Gonna go eat chocolate! Probably doesn't help that MIL is staying before they go to NZ. Gets our bed while we sleep in with a sick DS. Chocolate and sleep will fix everything....??!

Edited by clrw, 28 August 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#56 Milano

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hi ladies,

Clrw - I had to google epi-no too. I'd never heard of it! I've been pretty slack with my pelvic floor exercises I must admit. I really should be doing them everyday but I forget. Hope your DS is getting better.

April - wow that was close with your GD test. You can still indugle in a few sweet treats now and then can't you?

gc_melody - sorry to hear about the rude OB. You'd assume most OB's were sensitive and caring wouldn't you?! Glad you mentioned it to the midwife.

AFM, had my 28 week check with my lovely OB this morning. Blood results were all good. Iron etc all fine and no GD. Yay! I am measuring 29 weeks and today I'm 28 weeks and 5 days so pretty spot on really. So all tracking along nicely. Seeing him fortnightly from now on so that means it's getting close!

Has anyone else noticed their heart rate increasing? At certain times of the day, especially when I eat my heart races a little. I mentioned it to my OB and he said it's only a concern if I feel faint or short of breath. Apparently a faster pulse is normal during pregnancy.

Milano x

#57 clrw

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi Milano, yes racing heart at times and generally puffed. I have to think about what I'm doing. Like if I'm at a big shopping centre I have to plan things a bit more so I don't walk too much. Strange feeling when you are normally so active.

I had my first Braxton Hicks yesterday! Nearly knocked me off my feet! I must have been feeling paranoid about premature labour after that with DP In New Zealand until Monday night. I had terrible dreams about going into labour and trying to get friends to help me but they just turned it into a social gathering. Very funny!!

#58 gc_melody

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hi everyone,

Hope you spent the weekend and feeling fine.

Milano - your racing heart beat sounds like a weird experience. I haven't noticed a faster HB myself but definitely noticing the breathlessness. I'm glad your GD test came back good and same for growth and bloods.

clrw - you're funny...stretchy perineum...lol. Maybe it was luck of the draw, maybe from the Calmbirthing practices, maybe dumb luck. Either way I'm going into this labour thinking the same will happen and it'll be all good.

How's your DS? I hope he's on the mend. Yes, it's hard when they're sick a lot. It's such a bind when you're working and work isn't that supportive when you have to leave to pick them up from daycare (again). I don't know what the answer is but I wonder if the merry-go-round of illnesses wouldn't be as bad if parents kept their kids home when they're unwell.  

AFM - I'm good. I've been having strong BHs for a while now and I'm getting nervous about prem labour too, particularly as I get closer to the date my waters broke early before. One day last week they lasted for over an hour so I took myself off to the Hospital to be checked. The trace showed I was definitely having contractions but they stopped after about 4 hours all up. The prem labour swab test they did didn't show any hormones that you get when in pre-labour but it's put me on edge a bit. Shook up DH too, he *finally* started helping me move the heavy furniture and stuff around to make room for baby. So not such a bad outcome I reckon ;-) I was starting to get frustrated with his laid back attitude to my nesting needs (hormones anyone? lol).  We spent today hanging out for Fathers Day and some time with the in laws which was nice.

I'm starting to feel really heavy, breathless and getting quite tired again. Anyone else finding this too?

#59 April2608

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

hi,
It's very quite here these days, I'm guessing everyone else chats on FB.

I find I'm out of breath easy now, walking around the shops.
and i get tied, need to sit doiwn if I'm out and about for to long.

My cough is still with me but not as bad, worst time is late at night in the cold air.

My tummy has a mind of it's own now, we can see it moving when DS get a wriggle on :-)

I don't know if I'm getting any BH yet? Can you give me an idea what I'm looking for?

CLRW, I'm also on the count down, 3.5 weeks left of work.

April

#60 bree18

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi everyone, sorry I've been M.I.A
Every time I come on to EB I think I should get a own and write down what I want to say to everyone and then reply (because I check it on my phone it's hard otherwise ) but of course I never get to it.
So I'll try from memory.

GC- glad to hear you are back to work and things have settled enough to be able do that. Having had your waters break early before must make you worry but good to hear everything is ok.

CLR- hope your DS is feeling better. I looked at the Epi-no when pregnant with DD2 but my OB was not a fan of them. Her view is to do pelvic floor exercises when pregnant (and before and after), try to follow the OB or midwives instructions when they tell you not to push and the OB or midwife providing support to the perineum during the birth. I DID not do this during my births either time as I couldn't stop pushing and ended up with second degree years both times. Hoping I can listen to my OB this time!

Milano- sometimes my heart races, and in my last pregnancy I remember feeling like my heart skipped a beat every now and again. It's never caused me any issues though.

April- you might not notice braxton hicks. I never noticed any in my first pregnancy. But for me when I get them my tummy goes really tight and often I feel like I need to wee. Sometimes I get quite uncomfortable with them and later in pregnancy I tend to get pain even though some people say you shouldn't have painful braxton hicks.

Hi to everyone else I've forgotten.

AFM- had 28 week check up today and GCT. All going well. Reflux is driving me crazy bit seeing as I'm already on medication not much I can do except be very careful with my diet and add in a Tumms or Mylanta if its really bad. Hips hurt every night, PGP is annoying but manageable if I'm careful with not walking too much etc but I've noticed in the last couple if days I've been getting the beginnings of Pain in my pubic bone joint- hoping it doesn't get much worse.

#61 gc_melody

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hi everyone,

Really good to hear from you Bree. Sorry to hear your reflux is still a problem and the PGP hasn't really eased up that much for you. I'm glad to hear you have strategies which seem to work for you though and baby is going well.

April, BH feel like tightening in your abdomen like Bree said. I find that sometimes I have to breathe through them and other times I just notice them happening. I don't remember feeling BHs that much until the end during my first pregnancy but I've heard they are felt more in 2nd and subsequent pregnancies. I'm not sure why that is. I hope that your cough goes away for you soon.

AFM - I saw the OB this week for review after last weeks worry. I've been signed off work so I'm now on sick leave until baby arrives. Really hoping to keep baby in for another five weeks at least.

Enjoy your weekend everyone and I hope you're all doing well.

#62 clrw

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Rest up GC! I'm super jealous! I know I know not under the best circumstances...

I've had to tell two people we were relocating from overseas that they no longer have a job and I will have to make about 7 people redundant in the next fortnight. I want work to end so badly!!

#63 gc_melody

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hey clrw,

Your coming week and last week sounds tough. I don't think there is ever a way to do that without it affecting everyone involved. Try to look after yourself.

Being off work is good in the sense that I can rest when DS has his sleep. Not so great circumstances though. I'm feeling nervous and I'll be having an Oct baby at best. I'll do whatever I can to go for as long as possible before baby arrives.

Hang in there. Not long to go for you before you can just concentrate on you, baby, DS and partner. Sending peaceful thoughts your way.

#64 bree18

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

Clrw- what a horrible way to spend your last few weeks at work. I can imagine that would be really hard to do.

GC melody- I hope you get to keep bubs in for as long as possible.

AFM- I've been feeling extremely exhausted, dizzy, light headed and having headaches the last few days. It had been building up but from Friday onwards I really felt like something wasn't right. Found out I've got low iron so on to iron tablets now and hopefully I'll start feeling better soon.

#65 Tranter

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi Ladies!

April, it's so amazing watching your tummy moving from the outside isn't it?!  I'm not in a group on FB so look forward to getting your updates on here whenever I can.

Bree, good to hear you're going well.  The reflux isn't good.  Is there any specific food you've found that you need to avoid?  I've just started to suffer from it but usually if I get soup or drink too much with dinner.  Hope the iron supps help.

gc_melody, enjoy the rest at home and look after yourself.  Hoping you can keep that baby in for as long as you can too.

clrw, I don't envy the position you're in with work at the moment.  I can't imagine how stressful it would be to lay people off.  Take care of yourself.

milano, great to hear all is going well. I also noticed my heart racing at times, especially if I was standing up too long.

AFM, still pregnant, thankfully! and am out of hospital.  Yay! Sorry for the silence.  It's been a roller coaster but we've made to 30 weeks so officially allowed to go home.   :excite:  

On bed rest and not allowed to do anything other than walk from bed to the bathroom to the couch and then back. Going a little stir crazy but soooo much better than being in hospital.  I'm also working remotely 4 hours a day and it seriously relieves the boredom.  Any more bleeding though and I'll be straight back in hospital so trying to do everything I can to avoid that!  DH has been wonderful in doing everything around the house.

Not feeling any BH and GCT came back at 7.8.  Wasn't told to avoid sugar but will keep the low GI foods in mind.

Hi to anyone I've missed.

Tranter x

#66 Milano

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hi ladies,

Tranter - so nice to hear from you and so pleased you are at home! Must be better than the hospital. The bed rest must be hard but not long to go now. Thank goodness your DH is helpful.

Bree - hope the iron tablets kick in soon and you feeling better. Sorry to hear you are still suffering relfux. I must admit, mine has been so much better lately. I haradly need to take anything so I'm very lucky.

gc_melody - I'm glad you're at home and resting as much as you can to keep bubs in as long as possible. I'm not sure if I'm having BH either. I haven't been pregnant before so not sure what to look out for but now I will look out for any tightening.

clrw - I don't envy your work sitution, how hard to let people go. Hope everything goes as well as it can. I totally agree about the shopping centre walking. I am fine for a while then get really tired and sore so have to plan it better.

April - hope you are well. I am the same as you with the BH - not sure if I am getting them? I'm not on FB so it's nice to see people's updates in here. Keep them coming!

AFM, I feel so lucky that I am feeling really good. A bit tired and sore if I walk around too much but that is to be expected. I had a sore lower back the other day but it was only temporary and I went for a swim the following day and I think it really helped.

I'm having lots of little kicks which I loving. Bub seems to be busier just before I go to bed!

I have an OB check-up this Thursday and then an antental class at the hospital on Saturday which will be interesting. Only 9 and half weeks to go and it feels like it's flown. I'm going to spend the next few weeks getting the nursery set-up so I'm organised. Fun!

Milano x

#67 clrw

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Thanks everyone for their kind words.

6 redundancy meetings survived today. 2 tomorrow. One in two weeks because the idiot manager "forgot" the employee was on leave...

I actually find the meetings usually better than my anxiety over how they will go...

#68 gc_melody

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

I hope you've all had a great weekend. I'm not on the FB group either so it's really lovely to hear how you're all doing here.

clrw - I hope the last week was the final yukky one for you at work and the weekend has seen some fun and R&R. How's your PGP going?

milano - great to hear you're doing so well. I'm a little jealous ! :-) How's the nursery preparation going? It's fun isn't it?

tranter - so lovely to hear from you and your wonderful news. Congratulations for making it to 30 weeks ! Bed rest is the pits and super boring. I was on strict bed rest with my first and it almost did my head in. Hope you have some great books to read, iView and DVDs to keep you company.

bree - I feel for you. I've low iron and HB too and find the side effects annoying. I'm taking Flurodix which is a liquid iron supplement and find it's easier than the tablets which slowed digestion down. How're the tabs working for you?

How's everyone else doing?

AFM - I've made it to 33 weeks, yay! The extra rest I get now I'm not working has helped the BHs frequency and no more proper contractions, so that's positive. The progesterone must be helping too. PGP has settled a bit too. DH has been great stepping up and taking over most of the household stuff as well as looking after our toddler. I'm having major pregnancy insomnia and sleeping in 1.5-2hr stretches at night which is contributing to the tiredness. All good preparation for the first 6-8 weeks I guess. Keeping a positive spin on things and trying to enjoy every minute of being pregnant, even the annoying pregnancy challenges as this is my last. I've started wondering what our daughter will look like. I wonder if she'll look like me, DH, her brother or someone else. Anyone else wondering too?

Have a great week.

#69 Milano

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hi ladies,

I had my antenatal class on the weekend. I found it interesting as a first time mum. I knew a lot of it from all the reading I have been doing but I definitely think it was worth while.

A few questions for you all;

- have you been told to have a whooping cough vaccination? If so, are you having it before the birth or after? It was raised in the class and it was the first I'd heard about it. I'm going to ask my OB next week but just interested in what you've been told.

- are you getting a baby car capsule or not bothering and going straight to a car seat? I can't decide. I won't be using it as travel system/pram so will it be worth it?

gc_melody - glad you are feeing better and yay for making it to 33 weeks!! I'm sorry you are not getting much sleep though, that must be hard. Yes I've been wondering what bubs will look like and also if he'll have much hair?!

I've developed a heat rash all over my tummy and chest. It's soooo itchy and annoying. I've stopped using lotions with fragrance so hopefully that helps.

Hope you are all well.

Milano x

#70 gc_melody

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hi Milano,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your antenatal class.

With your itching, get it checked by your Dr. Sometimes this can be a symptom of something. I had a rash the first time around that was like heat rash. So itchy ! Cool washers helped a lot. Hope you get some relief soon.

We'll be reusing DS's reversible seat. It's a rear and forward facing Safe and Sound. It's cost us a lot less cash over the years rather than use a capsule then buy a seat later on. DS is now in a toddler booster seat which caters from 2-8 years.

I'm not sure about when to have the whooping cough vaccine. I'd already been vaccinated before falling pregnant as I work with children. DH had his before DS was born. We chose to vaccinate because we live in an area where there are a lot of people who don't and we've had two child deaths from whooping cough in the last three years within a small km radius. The paediatric unit last year at the local hospital (and the year before) had quite a few little bubs who had whooping cough. It was heartbreaking to see. For us, it wasn't worth the risk not to vaccinate.

#71 April2608

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

hi
I'm booked in for antenatal clases starting 24th Sep, it's 2 hrs per week and goes for 4 weeks so looking forward to it.

I did lots of reasearch and asking questions both on EB and from friends about car capsule or seat and decided to go with a 0-8 reversible car seat.
Had i gone with the capsule i would have used it as travel system with the pram.
From what I understand babies are generally ony in capsule for up to 6 months, or until they grow out. My DH is 6"6 so I'm expecting DS to be tall as well, and half expect him to be to big for capsule by about 4 months, so did not justify the cost.

DH and I both had our whooping cough vac about 2 yrs ago when we started IVF, since I got pg, my inlaws and my dad have all had theirs as well.

I guess  it comes down to if your pro or anti vac, I have recently heard getting your flue shoot just before bub is born is good as well, as it well protect him when first born. I had mt flue shoot back in my first trimester as my doc is extremely for them.

April

#72 bree18

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Tranter- sorry you have had such a hard time but its great you're home now and can do some work from home to keep you busy.

GC Melody- glad your PGP has settled a bit. I'm wondering about what the baby will look like too. I suspect like DD2 and DH but can't help wondering if ill get a little boy version of me.

Milano- I would get your rash checked too. Particularly as its itchy. Itchiness can be a symptom of obstetric cholestatis however I don't think you get a rash with that.
I decided with DS2 to get a convertible 0-4 car seat mainly due to saving money. If you have a bigger baby often they are out if the capsule by 4 months like April said. If I had one for DD2 it would have barely been used as she was 4.26kg born and very long. Plus it would have been too heavy to carry her plus an extra 4-5kg for my pelvic floor.
I had the whooping cough vaccine the day after DD2 was born. It was free. Not sure if its still free for new parents. Don't think I had an option to have it before.

April- enjoy your antenatal classes. I almost wish I was doing it again. I enjoyed mine and wish I had done a refresher for DD2.

AFM- I'm feeling a little better taking the iron tablets but still getting dizzy spells, feeling faint and weak at times. Hopefully another week of tablets will have me feeling better.

#73 Tranter

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi Ladies,

Milano, DH and I had our whooping cough vaccines already due to my niece being born at 29 weeks a year ago so we wanted her to be safe when we saw her.  

We've also gone the reversible car seat as DH is 6'3.  Plus with the c-section I wouldn't be able to lift a capsule in and out of the car easily.  

I'd also get your heat rash checked, just to be sure it's nothing to worry about.

gc_melody, YAY for your 33 weeks!!!  Good to hear the BH and contractions have settled down. I like your positive spin on the pregnancy and good on your DH for helping out so much.

April, I also got my flu shot but as I have always had them each year I was pretty comfortable with having it while pregnant. My OB was also very pro vacc.

Bree, I think you're right about the capsules.  Unless you're using them with a pram too they seem to grow out of them too quickly.  When I got the whooping cough vaccine they told me that it was still free for new parents.  Take it easy when you have those dizzy spells.  You're right the tablets will help over time as your blood supply is replenished.

clrw, hope you're doing okay and looking after yourself.

AFM, so still at home!  Must be doing something right!  Have been advised to take iron tablets too in preparation for the c-section and had my first BH this week.  Strange feeling!  Our DD is kicking around and feels stronger each day.  I'm also wondering what she'll look like when we finally get to meet her.

#74 Milano

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the concern ladies. I have had the rash checked. My OB sent me off for a blood test just in case but I doubt it's obstetric cholestasis as that usually has the itchiness on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet (my rash and itchiness is tummy and chest only). It also doesn't normally present with a rash.

It could be PUPPS or another pregnancy rash but whatever it is, it is so annoying. My OB also gave me a script for a steriod cream and funnily suggested rubbing 'Mylanta' onto my skin to ease the itch. I tried it last night and it was a little better.

I agree about the capsule I think. My DH is 6 foot 2 and so if the baby is long I doubt a capsule will last very long. Bit of a waste of money.

I'll speak to my OB about the whooping cough vaccination. We'll be definitely getting it but I wasn't sure if you could have it in the 3rd tri or had to wait until after birth.

Milano x

#75 clrw

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hi all,

Don't we all sound a little bit in the wars?! I guess we've hit the uncomfortable stage in some shape or form.

My pelvis is a bit iffy again. I waddled up to the park at lunch to sit and soak up some vitamin D. Had a nice chat to my mum on the phone. Waddled back to work. Felt hot, realized my ankles had been replaced with cankles then got a blood nose... Very glamorous!

Ive had my eye out for a certain type of basinette second hand for about 6 months now. It's a Boori Sleigh so silly expensive and wasn't even coming up on Gumtree or EBay. Relented and decided to buy it as cheap as possible new then sell it once bub moves into the cot. Managed to get one 15 mins from home. Ex display. $90 off and fully assembled. Was meant to be. So lovely..

I agree capsules aren't the be all and end all. Short term use, expensive and they get really heavy! We've hired one again though. $90 for six months. Then bub can move into the second car seat we have been given. Good for an older bub but no bells and whistles.

Think I'll be starting to pack the hospital bag this weekend. Wow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.