Too sensitive to noises

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jumbocoffee

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi, I'm looking for some advices regarding my DS

He's over 7 month old now. Since he was 2 month old, we've noticed that he's very sensitive to noises, eg vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, coffee grinder... Whenever we started these appliances while he was sitting happily in his high chair, he would jump literally look around then start crying and ask for our assurance. My DH and I thought he would grow out of it eventually. But recently, the peadiatric physiotherapist who we are seeing for his flat head noticed during a session that he looked scared when she rattled a toy. Moreover, he just started kind of banging his forehead on his table or my chest really hard repeatedly even though it hurts. I tried to stop him by distracting him with toys ar food but after some times he would start doing it again. So the peadiatric physiotherapist booked us in to see an OT but it will take some time

So I just want to ask if anyone has the same problem with their baby? Should I be worried now?

Forgot to say that our GP checked him for ear infection but couldn't find any.

Thank you

#2 Guest_Ella Minnow Pea_*

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

I've read about head banging before, this link may help reassure you about that at least: http://www.babycenter.com/0_head-banging_1509186.bc
Sorry I can't be more help. My dd is similarly hypersensitive to noise, which contributes to her bad sleeping, but we have yet to get to the bottom of why or if there's anything we can do about it.

#3 Kay1

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

It's great that you are being proactive. There are lots of kinds of sensory sensitivities, Google sensory processing disorder (not that I'm suggesting he has this but it will give you some info about sensory issues). My first child was very sensitive to noise as a baby and still is a bit at 7.  My second gets many ear infections and after one has cleared everything sounds loud and he gets very sensitive to sounds for a while. An OT may be able to help but given the young age of your son I'd be inclined to go to a pediatrician for a full check to put your mind at ease. You most likely just have a sensitive little boy original.gif .

#4 indigo~

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have a sensitive little sausage too. DD cries if I use the vacuum or even the stick blender to purée stuff. Sh's almost 10mo (8.5mo corrected). I hope she grows out of it.

#5 Guest_Ella Minnow Pea_*

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (indigo~ @ 06/07/2013, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
or even the stick blender to purée stuff.

Lol, that happened to me the other day. Dd happily sitting in high chair, me happily getting food ready, turn the stick blender on and HYSTERIA.

#6 Jenflea

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'd get a hearing test done if possible.
Babies hearing is way more sensitive than adults as they have all the tiny hairs still in their ears which are what you need to hear noise(villi??). They die off over time, which is one reason older people get deaf.
My 3yr old still doesn't like the hairdryer or hand dryers in public toilets.
It can take a fair long time for them to get used to noises, some longer than others I think.

#7 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, blenders, hand dryers in public toilet all disliked by my kids even at 3,5,7yrs.

My brother explained for DS2 who is most sensitive who often has fluid filled ears, that sometimes the noise can cause pain in the ears from the fluid. My brother remembers from when he had fluid filled ears from ear infections.

I can only get my 5yo in a public toilet if I first check no one else is in there for fear of someone using the hand dryer.

#8 mandala

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

DS is very sensitive to certain kinds of loud noises - vacuum, blender, mixer, lawnmover, drill. He won't even use a toy drill, he's so scared. This started around 4 months. However, he was perfectly fine with loud noises that he made, or loud songs or music.

I think that it could be on the spectrum of completely normal, but that you're doing the right thing by getting it investigated more thoroughly. It's always good to be aware of these things and keep an eye on it.

#9 JaneLane

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

DS1 would often cover his ears at loud noises but we didn't think too much about it until one of his preschool teachers brought it up and thought we should get his hearing tested.

Turns out he had fluid in the ears and couldn't hear properly.  He had had several ear infections over the year and had some scaring from them.  We then took him to an ENT and soon after he had an operation for grommets.

Since then his hearing has improved along with his speech and loud noises no longer bother him.  I think you should take your DS to have a hearing test and an ENT to have him checked out OP.

#10 Jumbocoffee

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Do I need a referral for a hearing test? The GP gave an all clear for DS from ear infection. Thank everyone for your suggestions.

#11 Pooks Combusted

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

A hearing test is a good idea.

DS was like this from a tiny baby and still is. I often joke that he would wake to the sound of a sparrow fart. It's not really a joke!

Honestly I've just worked as much things around him as I can. I bring him inside before closing the roller garage door. I wash and dry my hair at night time after he is in bed. I vacuum while his dad takes him for a walk around the block, and so on.

One thing I have gotten him ok with is the little handy vac. I will bring it over to him first to show him, then I move it back and forth and go "vroom vroom" loudly myself with a big smile. Then I will start it up for a second and stop it and give him a big smile. See? Vroom vroom. He will now watch me a little bit worried while I use the handy vac, with no hysterics. It has made life a bit easier for me.

I also encouraged him to play with pots and pans and spoons and things, he still doesn't make big noises with them but will bang them with a wooden spoon and enjoys it. I think encouraging incremental tolerance of some louder noises is helping him be less immediately hysterical with all of them.

HTH.

#12 JaneLane

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm pretty sure we needed a referral for a hearing test.  

Definitely needed one for the ENT.

We took DS to Australian Hearing for his 1st test, who then recommended seeing an ENT.  They were free, the ENT is not but can claim some back from Medicare

#13 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hearing tests can be done without referral. You don't even need to have a full hearing test, just test tympanic ear pressure which will give measure of fluid behind ears. My nephew has hear loss caused by fluid (like my DS2) and ENT at present wants 6wkly tests of tympanic pressure.

Audiologist s do hearing tests.

If you are going to see an ENT you need a referral.

Edited by lsolaBella, 06 July 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#14 lucky 2

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Dd still doesn't like loud noises at 8, never did, that included showers, running water on her head, loud toys (beep beep), other babies crying and children yelling, loud cars and motorbikes.
She's doing better as she's grown but we still take the ear muffs to the cinema so she can have them there incase, usually not needing them but for years we couldn't take her to the movies. I'm often told I'm too loud for her.
Her ears are apparently fine.
There is an anxiety element as well, ie anticipation of loud noises, avoidance of noisy environments.
Thank goodness she manages well at in the busy school environment.

#15 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Lucky2 I had to pick DS2 up at half time at he MCG when the noise of the crowd became too much for DS2. He was 4yrs.

DS1 was fine with noises by about 5yrs. 3.5yo DD still has issues as does nearly 6yo DS2 (but he does have fluid in ears issues).

#16 overthehill

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

DS6 is very sensitive to noise, we didn't think too much of it until he started school. His teachers mentioned he will go under the table if the class is noisy etc and doesn't like the singing in assembly.  He also has anxietywhich could be connected.  
We took him for a hearing test (no referral needed) and to an OT who said he has sensory defensiveness. We are about to start an auditory program which involves him using headsets whilst doing physical activity.
I would guess a paediatrician would be your best bet initially and they can go from there.

#17 Jumbocoffee

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

The physiotherapist thinks that he has anxiety because whenever he meets stranger he will stare at them anxiously without a blink then look back at me for reassurance. When we are out and about, everyone commands that he's so intense and serious. But he's a very happy little boy at home. That's why the physiotherapist wanted to refer us to an OT.

#18 Jenflea

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

I never use the hand dryers in public toilets(ESPECIALLY those Dyson ones!) but  for some reason, my Dd isn't AS bothered by other people using them.
I've explained to her that you can't control other people using them so she will have to learn to deal with them eventually. She;s ok with that explanation so far. I am slowly exposing her to them, by sticking my hands under them quickly each time, some for longer than others if she's not upset.

#19 lucky 2

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

When dd was very young there was some discussion as to whether she had a neuro-processing disorder by because she wasn't too bad we've gone on from there. I hope I did the right thing but I think there are some traits.
Maybe she got it from me as I'm quite oversensitive to sounds, smells, movement etc.

An OT sounds like a good idea OP, I suppose it cant hurt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.