Gestational Diabetes #68

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 *Enigma*

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

Did anyone else have bad side effects with metformin? I've had bad diarrhoea for the last 24 hrs with abdominal pain and cramping all night long 😭. Did it pass? I've just email the doctor as he wanted an update this week so I will see what he says but I just feel so drained from it all

#102 *Enigma*

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:00 PM

Just thought I would update incase anyone else came across this.

The diarrhoea and cramping was a side effect of the metformin. The tablets were stopped immediately and I am now on insulin

Edited by *Enigma*, 17 April 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#103 Joanie79

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:50 PM

I'm so sorry I didn't see your post Enigma. Yes I suffered the same side effects but my Dr had pre-warned me so I stopped the metformin immediately. Hope you are feeling much better!

#104 *Lena*

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

Hi everyone. My sister has just been diagnosed with GD at 11 weeks and hasn't seen anyone about it yet. She has asked me to help her since I had it with my 3rd but it was 3 years ago now so my memory of it is not so good. I only  had it from 32 weeks and had bub at 39 weeks.

Her biggest problem is she doesn't eat much. The only vege I know she eats is potato. No salads at all. I am having trouble of thinking of things to suggest to her to have with meals. Any ideas?

#105 Stellajoy

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

She needs to see a diabetes educator ASAP. She needs to be also testing her sugars multiple times a day. As a general diet its 2 serves of carbs at main meals and one as a snack. One serve is 15grams. Main meals I rotate a corn cob, 200gram of Carisma potato, low carb wrap, etc with lots of green leafy veg and protein . and a snack is half an apple, greek yoghurt and berries, half an english muffin, popcorn etc of course outside this you need to eat a lot of greens and overall a lot of fibre.

#106 WallyMumma

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

Hi everyone I am almost 12 weeks pregnant with baby number 6! Ihad 4 fairly normal pregnancies and ended up with GD with number 5 which required insulin injections nightly before bed and a tablet too which for the life of me I can't remember :-/
The GP has told me I will have an early GGT this time and I forgot to ask just how early the test will be? I was also wondering if anyone went on to pass the test in a pregnancy after having GD?
I was so unwell after the test and could barely stand up straight and spent the rest of the day and the next vomiting so I am not looking forward to it at all!

Edited by WallyMumma, 27 April 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#107 mum*mum

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:37 AM

Hi Wallymama. Congratulations on baby number 6!
I had insulin dependent GD with my first pregnancy, so have to have early GTTs. My ob gave me the referral at my first appointment each time. Had the test at about 14 weeks for baby number 2, and then again at the usual time. Managed to avoid getting GD and she was only 3.65 kg.
This time I had the test at 12 weeks and have been on insulin since 14 weeks. Apparently the diagnostic criteria has been changed in the last few years and a lot more women are now being diagnosed.

Good luck!

#108 mum*mum

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:43 PM

Just wondering if anyone else is struggling to put on weight with the GD diet?  I'm now almost 23 weeks and have only managed to put on 1.3 kg (and most of that was pre diagnosis at 12 weeks).

I was slightly overweight pre-pregnancy so only need to put on 7-11 kg, but even that will be a struggle at this rate.

Is this normal?

#109 *Enigma*

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

Mum*mum - I'm 36 weeks and have only gained 2-3 kg. I was carrying a bit of extra weight before hand, but look like I have lost weight. I'm not sure it was the diet though causing as I've been really sick and nauseated throughout the pregnancy. Bub in the other hand is measuring large, so she hasn't been missing out lol

#110 Stellajoy

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

You don't have to put on weight, I've lost 10 kg and see a dietician who says as long as I'm getting my nutritional needs it's fine

#111 mum*mum

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Thanks ladies. My OB wasn't concerned but I had been told by the diabetes educators at the hospital that not putting on weight can be dangerous.
Bubs was measuring in 52nd percentile at last ultrasound, so I will just focus on that from now on :-)

#112 monkeysmummy

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi ladies, i am 22+4 and was diagnosed with gd at 17 weeks. On Thurs i was put on i insulin at night cause my fastings were over.
Anyway since then i have had 2 lows during the day but after i have had some jelly beans and eaten after 2 hours later i am having a high. Is this normal?  I know lows arent good but i dont want my insulin to be increased.

#113 ~nikki~

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hi all,
I can see this thread hasnt been used that often was just hoping someone could help me.
I have gd and did also with my 2nd child and was on insulin due to fasting levels.
Havnt started insulin yet although fasting levels are not good always above 5 sometimes as high as 6.

Anyway yesterday I had a growth scan and they said her tummys very large
Shes around 3.4 kilos and measuring 37 weeks (I am 34 weeks today)
They said to see The clinic Dr tomorrow.

I know sizes can be wrong I'm more worried about her tummy.

Has anyone had this ?

Edited by ~nikki~, 13 January 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#114 AnnBB

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

Hi Nikki, what you are experiencing is similar to my second pregnancy.

My post meal levels were ok, but my fasting levels from 32 weeks were a tad high so I was started on a slow release insulin overnight from then on.

I also had a sizing/ cervix scan at 34-35 weeks and she was literally off the charts. Her stomach was really large.
She was estimated to be 3.5 kgs already.

Because of the insulin and the macrosomic measurements, I was induced at 38 +1 weeks. When she was born she was 3.76kgs. Not overly large, but she was only 47 cms long so she was a little round.

I am pregnant with #3 and I was diagnosed with GD again this morning. I am only 21 weeks so I got it earlier this time.

I am bracing myself for the onslaught of appointments. I am worried that I have got it so early this time that I will end up on insulin again and may need to deliver even earlier than 38 weeks.

#115 eleven

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hi Ladies,

I was diagnosed with GD yesterday and won't see an endo until mid Feb at the earliest.
My fasting levels for the GTT were 5.6, after 1 hour 10.3 and after 2 hours 6.4. I've no idea if they are good/bad levels but obviously they're high enough to diagnose me.
From the very limited reading I've been able to do in the last 24 hours I will be expected to do finger prick blood tests and monitor my blood sugar levels.
Is it simply a matter of eating less carbs? More meat/3 veg type meals? Is the occasional treat like ice cream or a bikkie off the menu completely?
I've also read that 30 mins of exercise is required. What if you can't exercise? I've got a few issues with my hips that makes walking difficult. Is it possible to manage GD with diet alone?
Thanks!

#116 Beyonce PadThai

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

Just been diagnosed with GD for anyone still on this train. :(
Was based on my early glucose test at 6w, but they only diagnosed/decided to treat me as a GD patient this week at 24w.
Still not sure what it means really, but going to do my best to manage with diet as I've been told insulin increases risks for the baby. I've found some resources online for diets so I can do a shopping list for when the supermarkets open up again tomorrow.
Have been told to collect a script for blood sugar testing strips and wait for the diabetes unit to contact me.... anyone in the public system have any general knowledge on how long that might be? Feel a little lost at the moment...

#117 Lunagirl

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

Not a group I wanted to be in, but it looks like I'm here! Was just diagnosed yesterday.

Beyonce, I hope you are feeling more in control now.

I went out this morning and tonight and bought some GD-friendly foods based on the sample menu the midwife gave me. I also have a dietician appointment for next week so hopefully I'll have a better plan after that. I didn't have GD last pregnancy and my baby was still over 4kg so I'm a bit scared about how big this one will be if I don't get this under control!

#118 Sunshineandsmiles

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

Hi ladies. Sorry for the long-winded post.  I had GDM with my two daughters. With the youngest I was diagnosed at 14 weeks and was on insulin. Currently 11 weeks pregnant and fasting two weeks ago was 5.3 so OB said that was ok at the moment. Started testing sugars at home mainly fasting and over the last two weeks they were between 5.4 and 5.7 with one 6.4.  Over the last two days I have been very cautious with my diet and carb intake and last 2 days have been 5.2 and 4.9. I was of the understanding that fasting levels were not impacted by diet. After meals levels are fine.  With a history of recurrent miscarriage I'm feeling a little anxious. So I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on the drop in fasting levels? Thanks so much x

#119 Wrennie

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

Well looks like I am here too. I am only 9w2d...

My first pg (miscarriage) showed high levels in my blood test - so I went to see an endocrinologist but miscarried not long after.

Second pregnancy (also miscarriage), blood sugar was just below the cut off.

This time - just over. My fasting blood sugar was 5.2 (although I tested at home that morning and got 4.2!). I had to see an endocrinologist anyway because it looks like i have an overactive thyroid as well - I had the glucose tolerance test on Friday and she rang this morning to confirm the diagnosis and book me in to a dietician on Friday.

In the mean time I guess I just keep monitoring my blood sugar myself and try to eat a bit better - MS has given me very little appetite and food aversions so I am not eating great at the moment...

#120 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

Hi anyone still here! Hopefully there is because I have a question!

I got diagnosed with GD @ 17 weeks (well technically like 18.5 by the time someone acutally TOLD me.) I had my session @ the hospital with the diabetes educator, nutritionist etc on Wednesday morning.

I have been checking my BGL 4 times a day since. The first day was spot on (despite having not eaten the best the day before.)

Since then, my fasting levels have been above what they want (which is under 5.3 for fasting, and under 6.8 2hrs post food.) All my post food levels are fine, most of which are around 5.7. (Other than this morning where my levels were 6.4, but I had raisin toast.) But my fasting levels since the first day are between 5.4 and 5.8. I've been sticking to the diet etc.

I will ring and speak to someone tomorrow, but does anyone know what the likelihood is from here? I'm currently 20w, so I have a longggggggggggggg way to go.

Edited by FeralRebelWClaws, 22 May 2016 - 12:45 PM.

#121 AlmondButter

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:57 PM

Hi FRWC, I think it's really hard to tell which way it will go. It's up to your body, hormones, etc.
Anecdotally, starting the GD diet does seem to improve fasting levels somehow.
This preg I was diagnosed at 8 weeks. Fasting levels at first were all in the 5s so I panicked I'd be on insulin by now. Fast forward to 19 weeks & fasting levels are averaging mid 4s. Even had a few readings in the 3s!
Key for me as well seems to have been managing stress & ensuring a good nights sleep. Sometimes easier said than done I know.
So there is hope....although I'm sure it will all become much harder once I hit 30 weeks...
All the best :)

#122 PrincessW

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

Yet another group to join!

I'm only just 5 wks + 3 days but have already tested positive for GD. I wasn't too surprised, I think my mother had the same and I've got a long winded history of PCOS, Endo and Insulin Resistance so there was a 50-50 chance of it coming down to this.

Having a 7wk scan in two weeks to see that everything is where it should be and have my referral to the antenatal clinic to get the ball rolling and see someone about the GD side of things.

With my history of IR I'm pretty confident on the dietary side of things, just not sure how much of a spoke the pregnancy throws into the works. Guess it's all part of the learning curve!

#123 Harriet00

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

Hi All,

Just over 7 weeks pregnant and have already been diagnosed with GD. I was at risk of getting it due to PCOS, age and a family history but hoped that It would someone skip me - not so lucky!

I have been sticking to the diet and mostly getting good blood glucose levels. I've had a few occasions where my fasting morning test has been on the high side. My Endo wants to start me on insulin shots at night time. I don't see her until next week, but dreading starting injecting myself.

I had hoped to manage this just through diet/exercise and thought I was doing a good job, hard not to take it as a personal failure that I have to go on insulin already. Silly? She did warn me that I would likely need injections given my family history etc but still hard not to blame myself.

#124 Sally1983

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

*sweeps away the cobwebs*

Hi sugar mummas. I'm 4w5d with number two.
When do they generally test for GD the second time around? I had GD with my first and managed to stay diet controlled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.