Braxton Hicks contractions this early? *Update*
I'm only 22 weeks, not sure what it is!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 i_like_cake

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hi girls,

I'm only 22 weeks this week - home sick, been on the couch all morning. Got up to go for a walk, and started having regular pains. style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif

I was in the local supermarket, and had to keep stopping as I walked up the aisles.

They were so bad, that I abandoned my walk, and hobbled home - stopping every time there was a pain. They were so regular, it was like a contraction! I reckon every 5-10 minutes apart.

Slightly worrying, as I am not due til 18 Nov.

This is my second, so I am wondering what it could be - I don't remember experiencing early Braxton Hicks with my first.

Anyone else experiencing this? Could it just be gas? I wouldn't have thought so, as it's quite regular - though I would not be surprised if I was told it could be that too.

Been happening since 1pm, and now it's 2pm. I guess I'll just wait, and if they continue, will call the midwife. I have my 3rd hospital check up on Friday, but perhaps that's too long to wait. style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

Very strange.

Edited by i_like_cake, 12 August 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#2 Justaduck

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

Came in from We Are Discussing but if they are regular I would be calling the midwife now.

I did have awful pains around the same time when I was pregnant with DD, enough to go to the hospital in the middle of the night (they said it was a bad stomach flu?? but I wasn't vomitting or had diarrhea) but they weren't regular so I wasn't concerned in that aspect

#3 ..buzzybuzzybeez..

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

If the pain was enough to stop you from walking, I'd be going to the Hospital.
Better safe than sorry!!
Good luck!!

#4 PopperPenguin

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I've also come in through 'we are discussing' so don't really belong here, but I would also be calling your midwife now. If they were so strong that you were having to stop each time you experienced one, then I would think they were quite heavy contractions.

Even if it does turn out to be gas, nobody is going to fault you for heading in for a check up.

#5 Minimouse27

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Braxton hicks, whilst uncomfortable, shouldn't be painful...

Would call your medical care provider OP ASAP ... All the best x

#6 Duck-o-lah

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Braxton hicks, whilst uncomfortable, shouldn't be painful...
I disagree. With both my pregnancies I had quite painful BH contractions. I consulted a number of MW's on separate occasions, all assured me it was quite normal.

With DS (1) I had them regularly from 35w, with DD (2) I had my first at 18w, probably peaking around the 25w mark and easing off slightly (though persevering through the pregnancy!).

This is not to disagree that you should get in contact with a MW, you definitely should if you are concerned, but just to let you know it may not necessarily be cause for concern original.gif

#7 Tamzin1984

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

I've had obvious Braxton hicks since about 18 weeks but up until the past few days have never had any pain associated with them.  They were uncomfortable, particularly if I was doing something at the time, but certainly not painful.  Just felt like my whole belly went tight.

#8 SarzMH

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

I am 25 weeks and I get regular BH contractions.

They are not pain, more uncomfortable!
And my daughters find it very amusing when my belly goes rock hard original.gif

#9 Lilymag

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

i like cake - how are you? did you end up seeing the MW?

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

I hope all is okay OP and that you've called your caregiver but it is not unusual to experience pain with
Braxton Hicks  but they should ease when you are resting. If they are premature labour pains they will continue when you are lying down too.

I had painful Braxton hicks from about 13 weeks with my subsequent pregnancies, enough to stop me in my tracks and they would continue until I actually rested. They were awful but I could always get them to subside by stopping what I was doing and lying down a bit.

#11 i_like_cake

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Positive Update:

Well, lucky for me, it turned out to be nothing. I am now 26 weeks.

After 2 hours, the weird contraction-like feelings stopped.

i told my midwife about it when I saw her 2 days later, and she was actually a little worried, and told me to let them know if it happened again.

It hasn't happened since, so i believe it was probably painful Braxton Hicks, coupled with an unusual morning of lying down for an extended period!

Anyway, glad it was nothing. Onwards and upwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.