New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 Mamabug

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Woo-hoo........

Ner-Ner MBS...I got the Gold!!!!!

Um, right, switching back into adult mode now....

#3 MarsBarSlice

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

FJ - my heart goes out to your friend and family. What a stressful thing to have to go through. Hope they solve it all soon so they can take their gorgeous baby home.

Edited by MarsBarSlice, 30 July 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#4 MarsBarSlice

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Don't know what happened on my previous post, note the font/size and wouldn't let me press enter??? Again my enter button is not doing it's job. Silver for me, yee haaaaaa

Edited by MarsBarSlice, 30 July 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#5 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Oh Jen that's just awful, so scary for them. Are they in Canberra? Is there anything I can do to help?

CL that sucks. A lot. Do they think there might be a chance she'll "grow out of it" as her system develops?

Turns out my formatting issue is an Internet Explorer issue which the EB admin are looking to resolve. In the meantime I'm coming to you via Firefox :)

#6 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

IE sucks.

Filly that is truly, truly awful - what an awful thing to go through :(

Sleep School is awesome and I'm never leaving!

Ted - no nap yesterday and awful night now sleeping the sleep of the exhausted ready for another fight tonight :)

#7 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Gah - it takes forever for the reply box to come up for me in the new board!!

Megan, no - they are in Sydney. I am not sure that there is anything that you could do for them anyway. It is such a helpless situation!

Mamabug, I think they would really appreciate your friend's prayer group praying for them. I will PM you with some more details.

Well I am going to write down some recipes into a notebook because my stack of papers on the fridge keep falling down.

#8 aphraell

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Fillyjonk - so so sorry to hear about your friends and their new baby. Hope the little one starts improving soon.  As you know, I am in Sydney so if there is ANYTHING I can do to help them please let me know. Even something like picking up some groceries or other supplies for them, feeding any pets etc so they can stay at the hospital as needed.

Dino - so sleep school is good? have you had to use that book yet ? For good or evil...

CL, MB and MBS - hope all your little ones are feeling better soon and you get some answers.

After being told from our GP that Miss X was probably going to need melatonin to sort her sleep issues (i.e. waking up at 4:30am EVERY morning for months) we are waiting to see the paediatrician for a 2nd opinion and to get the script if needed. Looked into natural ways to increase the melatonin and we seem to have some success!! have only had 1 pre 5am wake up (this morning at 4:50am) in the last 10 days (excluding last friday when she had a  terrible cold/cough and kept waking herself up with the coughing!). Most of the time its been 5:15am (so an extra sleep cycle!!!) which has been absolute bliss

On other news, I just got a new job Is something I have never really done before, but is great money (better than I have every earnt), I can have as little or as much work (assuming there is work there) as I want and they are training me for free. Excited but scared too...

Edited by aphraell, 30 July 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#9 Caramel Latte

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostThatsNotMyName, on 30 July 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

CL that sucks. A lot. Do they think there might be a chance she'll "grow out of it" as her system develops?

That's not been mentioned unfortunately, other things could affect levels eg malnutrition issues (to extent like a third world nation) but her diet (according to dietician) is fine. Have been told, most likely start treatment in two months (ish), depending on next blood test. If go down treatment path (intragram infusion), that could raise her levels to give her a break (might take one or few goes). Then it's doing regular BTs to check for life. We've BT (testing levels plus a fee other things he believes could be an issue) on 16/8 and her Immunologist apt on 20/9.  

Congrats APHRAELL on new job and sleep success.

#10 Mamabug

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Oh CL, I wish there was a magic pill for you and for Oreo.

Aphraell - yay on both counts. Care to give a tiny bit more info about the job and a lot more info about the sleep?????

Dino - hoping the night isn't too traumatic for you. And that you took your own box of Kleenex Aloe Vera tissues...'cause govt issue tissues are like sandpaper.

#11 MarsBarSlice

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

CL - I hope you get some more answers quickly, poor Oreo

Aphraell - This sounds like something I need to try with DS1 who is 4 years old. Would you mind giving more info on what you have found, especially the natural products?  Also, what's the job if you don't mind sharing, sounds awesome?

AFM:  Just been out to dinner with DP for his birthday, had a great night just the 2 of us.

#12 Shadowess

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hi everyone!

Big day! Started off normally enough... Then my director pulled me into her office and asked if I want to go with her to work with area looking after the very very hot topic in politics right now (the one that every man and his dog is talking about).... Sooooooo I start on Tuesday!! A tad freaking out about it, but also looking forward to the challenge. It'll be an interesting experience anyway.

Then, this evening Ruby's physical culture (physie) club had a fun competition where everyone wins lollipops, but the best girl in the age group wins a big lollipop. She won the 5/6 comp, so she was very excited! We stayed to watch all the groups dance... It was good seeing what the bigger girls can do.

So, big day! And I'm madly cleaning, getting ready for mum coming on Thursday! Busy, busy...

#13 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

Well done Ruby :) What exactly is physical culture? I have an old high school friend on my facebook and she has two daughters who are heavily involved in "physie" but I can't work out what it is.

Good news on the sick baby front. The antibiotics are winning against septacaemia and pneumonia. Apparently she has had a spinal puncture to test for meningitis and they are waiting on the results. Poor little tike :(

#14 Mamabug

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Shadowess - well done on your professional brilliance. And to Ruby on her physie success.
Physical culture started as a fitness program. It was developed by job b-peterson's brother.
Do they still go in for really big hair at comps, asks she who was a physie girl long ago.

#15 aphraell

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Yay to some good news for your friends fillyjonk! Hope the results of the spinal puncture are good too.

Congratulations to Ruby! I didn't realise physie was still around. I never did it (I did highland dancing) but a lot of girls in the town I grew up in were into it.  and congrats to Shadowess on the new opportunity :smile:  Sounds like interesting times ahead

As for my job, I am going to be a consultant and lead trainer for a process/methodology used by a lot of IT departments in large organisations globally. I was trained it in about 5 years ago and know the people that are running the Australian arm of the company (which kicked off about 3 years ago). I decided after my holiday that I couldn't keep doing what I was doing (50-80+ hours a week in a high level IT role) and was looking for something more family friendly, touched base with these guys and they basically offered me a job on the spot! Will probably mean a bit of travel to Melbourne and Brisbane and possibly Singapore too if I am interested. Hopefully it will be something I can transfer to WA with too when we eventually make the move.

As for DD's sleep, no products as such just changing the way we structure her day. Did lots of research on how the body produces melatonin and the factors that can impact it.  The three changes we made was:
1) Timing of outside play. Instead of going to the park in the afternoon, we now try and get a good 45 minutes of outside time in the morning before 10am. We didnt get this yesterday as we had an early work start and DD was at daycare by 7:30am - and this morning was her first 4:30am wake up in nearly 2 weeks!  Her daycare is in a building in the city so even though they have an "outside" area that is open to fresh air etc it doesn't get direct sunlight.

2) Screen time. On days at home DD would often get a bit of TV or iPad time in the afternoon when she first woke up from her nap  and then again while I made dinner - maybe an hour all up. Tresillian said this was fine as long as no TV after dinner but reading up on Melatonin production screen time can play havoc with it so we have cut it out completely after midday.

3) internal lighting - we only have minimal lighting on from 5pm onwards, rather than dimming it after dinnertime. This is supposed to help the melatonin start to be released earlier.

the affect was almost immediate with these changes - DD went from waking at 4:30am (or earlier) every morning and waking at least once, 5 out of 7 nights (and taking up to an hour to resettle) to waking around 5:15am and sleeping through 5 out of 7 nights and when she did wake she was back asleep in 5-10 minutes.

Edited by aphraell, 31 July 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#16 Mamabug

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info Aphraell...think I can do that and see how it works for our tribe.

Who wants to join tis mornings rolecall of minor ailments????

Yesterday Little Bug was running 39 temps said her tummy hurt and was off her food...last time she said/did this she landed in hospital. This morning she didn't want breakfast and only ate half a bacon and cheese s/w for morning tea. This is unprecedented bacon refusal!!!! I am now Mildly Concerned.

Biggest Bug has had a bit of trouble weeing for the past two days. Last night she said it hurt inside (pointing to her lower abdomen) when she wee'd...

Because we are such a House of Plague, I just happen to have a stock a sterile sample jars in the medicine cupboard (oh so sad); got a sample this morning which is very dark yellow and cloudy...anyone else thinking possible uti????

I'll get back to you after the GP today!! Sigh

Did I mention I'm getting a whippet? I'm not sure if this is more obscure than purchasing an overlocker...!

#17 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Whippet! Whippet good! :lol: They're lovely little dogs :) And yes thoat sounds like a possible UTI.

Aphraell & Fee - great work on the job front!

Me - had an upset with DH last night re Caelan's progress (or lack thereof) at school & that it worries me so much. He interpreted my expression of concern as me trying to push him to hard & he became unreceptive & dismissive. I got defensive & really upset & it blew up into a nasty session. We resolved it all before bed at 10pm but I could. not. sleep. I think it was around 5.30 before I eventually drifted off then had to be up at 6.45. Bleeeergh!!!!!

#18 Mamabug

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Oh TNMN. It is a hard line to tread between concern for progress and 'pushing'. And it doesn't help when your partner doesn't seem to understand your concerns.

And then there is the whole urgh feeling after an argument. I'm sorry you have had that - and a lack of sleep because of it.

#19 Mamabug

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Her face is very much like this

#20 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Cuteness!

#21 Mamabug

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

ANd she has a dainty red collar with a little bell and bow on it...not that she will be joining us for a few more weeks.

Himself has to make her a kennel and I want to make her a little polar fleece coat. She is currently a pampered, mostly inside dog. Himself believes outside was created for dogs, so I need to ensure she won't freeze her dainty little white socks off when she confronts her new reality!!!

#22 Shadowess

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Only have a minute, still cleaning for mum coming tomorrow. Worse than a rental inspection!

Yes, physie is still alive and well.... It's an Australian dance sport, dating back 120 years or something. For those curious about it, google or YouTube it... I think it's great for girls, but perhaps a tad creepy for grown women... Mostl because of the leotard requirement.

Will bbl for a proper catch up.

#23 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Argh I hate the new boards. It has taken 7 minutes for the reply window thingy to load properly :( It is probably just that my connection is a bit shoddy but this happens every time. I guess it is a lesson to make me think more before I say.

Anyway - no sign of meningitis!! YAY :D But scarily, the doctors have told my friend if they were two hours later getting the baby to the hospital, she most likely would have died. That is a very sobering thought considering the symptoms were nothing more extreme than lethargy and difficulty in feeding, which could be perfectly normal for any 10 day old baby. She had called the ABA helpline twice and the hospital once and they just told her to keep trying. Not trying to say anything bad about the people she spoke to, but I am so glad she trusted her instinct and presented at Emergency.

I feel like I can breathe again.

#24 Shadowess

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

That's great news, Filly! So pleased for your friend! So, is baby on the mend now, or is she not out of the woods yet?

#25 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

I think she is past the major worry stage, though the poor little thing is still a jumble of tubes and monitors all over. From photos she looks like half of her is covered in bits of sticky tape holding something or other in place. Not sure how long till they remove it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.