Ebay Dropshipping - Who here is into it?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FeralMinx

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hi guys I am possibly about to need to up my income by 2-300 a week and being a carer for my kids with special needs and my elderly father, I have to do it from home.  Time is not really an issue, though flexibility is - ie some days my children can not attend school due to their SNs etc, so I need a job that I can shunt the working hours around to put the kids and dad first.

Dropshipping appears to have a c20% profit margin before my own overheads (eg listing fees etc). Is that about right?  Is it worth it?

Hoping to talk to anyone else doing it :)

#2 wannabe30

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I had to google it to find out what it was. eBay themselves don't recommend it: http://www.ebay.com....00835732/g.html

Have you tried AirTasker? Some good options for jobs people need doing that you could fit in with your regular chores - eg someone pays you to collect their dry leaning which you could do on the way to collect the kids from school, etc. It might not work for you, but I thought it might be something else for you to consider.

Good luck!

#3 FeralMinx

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hmm yea I am doing a bit of due diligence and getting less enthused by the minute.

Airtasker looks like a good place to start building up some work, thank you :D

#4 wannabe30

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

I wasnt sure if the eBay article was just because they are against it for some reason - cant see why they would be, because they still make money off it, so it's not like people are trying to scam eBay.

Interesting that your other due diligence seems to be saying its not all its cracked up to be.

Glad the Airtasker link was useful. I've used them before (I paid someone to go to Ikea for me!) and it works well.

#5 bashful99

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi All,
Have been an ebay seller for over 18 months, using only dropshipping suppliers.  Ebay for some reason 'unknown' does not approve of using dropshipping suppliers.  I had auctions cancelled and listings removed from my store due to using dropshipping suppliers.  No explanation was provided, no warning, nothing. I was so p*****d off as I had paid them a small fortune in fees.  I'm no longer selling on Ebay and now thankfully have my own online Facebook Store and Website that are doing very very nicely.  No more eBay fees, no more being controlled by their ridiculous rules and regulations.  There are good dropshipping suppliers and bad ones as well, just a matter of finding a supplier that you can rely on and that works for you.  I purchased my Facebook Store and Website from a company called Social Stores Online - they are brilliant.  Not only got the Website and Facebook Store, but also a Mobile Commerce Website and access to their suppliers, over 1 Million products and lots of dropshipping suppliers.  Got their 'total ecommerce solution package deal'. I now use a combination of my own suppliers and theirs. They also did all of the graphics for my FB store and Website - brilliant! You can find them on the net at www.socialstoresonline.com.au.  I hope that this helps.  When it comes to using dropshipping suppliers eBay is of no help or assistance whatsoever.

#6 gail10

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

This is very controversial has most ebayers do drop-shipping but Ebay says its not allowed...
As long as the good are delivered in a timely manner with satisfied customer then one do this for many years..

Go here for some intresting information on selling with  Ebay/Amazon Drop-shipping

#7 ~river song~

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

My company stopped supplying to dropshippers, its a PITA for some companies too as it just adds another 'middle man' and can cause delays and other issues, we found for the end consumer.

#8 valentlau

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

bashful99 how do you deal with customers who claim damaged/missing items? Who pays for those?
What kinds of costs are we looking at to get started on this stuff?

#9 ~river song~

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

View Postvalentlau, on 18 November 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

bashful99 how do you deal with customers who claim damaged/missing items? Who pays for those?
What kinds of costs are we looking at to get started on this stuff?

For our company if it was lost in transit or damaged in transit with australia post for example then you can claim back through them if they confirm they lost it or the damage is from transit. If it arrives broken or not working you claim through the supplier.
Thats the simplified version

#10 bashful99

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Valentlau, thankfully i have only ever had one package go missing.  You have two options, you can claim it back from the suppliers, you can then re-order the product for the customer.
Or what I did was to get the customer to claim it back from paypal.  paypal provides buyer protection for all transactions.  in the even that goods are not received, are damaged or not as described -  the buyer simply lodges a claim with Paypal and Paypal refunds their purchase amount.  I have used Paypal's services for a personal purchase of mine (from eBay) that was not as described.  Paypal refunded my payment in full (even after the seller refused to do so themselves).  So nothing comes out of your own pocket.

To get started with socilstoresonline.com.au - i paid $995 which included a free ecommerce website, all suppliers, facebook store, advertising, my graphics, also lifetime support from the support centre.  they set everything up for you and provide social media training for business. In their newsletter I noticed it was just $795 for January for the same package.  You would need to check this though.

We will be purchasing another store from socialstoresonline for my partner to operate later on this year, selling Camping and Fishing related products.  If anyone has any suggestions for a catchy domain name, we would love to hear them.

#11 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

View Postbashful99, on 17 January 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

We will be purchasing another store from socialstoresonline for my partner to operate later on this year, selling Camping and Fishing related products. If anyone has any suggestions for a catchy domain name, we would love to hear them.

Something's Fishy ? ;)
Catchy Goods ?
Blade and scales ?

Edited by RebelWithoutAClaws, 17 January 2014 - 08:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.