Present for a nine year old.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Majeix

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

I need a present for dd1 (9 years). She is into everything and nothing if that makes sense. She has always been easy to buy for as she is enthusiastic about everything. However, this year I am a bit stumped. she often doesn't play with the things she gets for long. She is very much like I was and spends a lot of time playing imaginary games no props needed lol. We are drowning in books, board games and craft (as I am into that sort of thing) we have magic stuff and juggling stuff (last birthday). She is not very sporty and is not into music or jewellery (she likes it but doesn't wear it). She loves soft toys and I'll make sure she gets another one of those but seriously I'm a bit over soft toys. She has a cheap tablet for games and we have an old family ds which she uses occasionally. We do some experience gifts but not a huge amount as we do a lot of things anyway and my parents often give that sort of gift.

We don't tend to buy a lot of very big gifts. Last year I decided against a furby as they were so much money. The local toy shop is selling furbys at half price. Do you think they are worth it? She has expressed some interest but nothing huge (but she rarely does for anything). If not a furby does anyone else have any ideas? I have some plans for some small things but nothing great.

#2 Agnetha

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Is she interested in learning an instrument? Lessons?
Take her shopping to choose her own clothes?
Difficult age, I have two nieces that age and this year has been a struggle with their birthdays. They got vouchers for smiggle and marks and Spencer's (uk).

Edited by agnetha, 09 August 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#3 Mez0312

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

What about the girl range of Lego? It is a huge hit in our house.
Digital Camera - I know my daughter will go on school camps, have friends over and would love that.
Nail Polish, lip balm type of items. Smiggle is always a huge hit also. Beach towel and new swimmers, Itunes card if she has an iPod. Roller Skates? Friendship bracelet kits. Movie Tickets she can see her choice of movie...
She is getting toward that tween age so might like a surf brand wallet, handbag?

Edited by Mez0312, 15 September 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#4 Independence

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

National Geographic -

GO into one of their stores. I can't recommend them enough - they have plenty of inspirational toys for kids. Not the usual stuff like dolls etc - science kits, unusual things and often educational. Give them a try for something different.

#5 Froger

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

I would think that a 9 year old is too old for a furby. They are a bit babyish IMO.

The suggestion by PP of the national geographic shop is good. They have some really great and interesting stuff.

It's coming up to summer so how about stuff like a cricket set, or other outdoor games.

Floaty things to use in the pool if you have one, or one nearby.

A tube of henna to do body decorations (bit tricky though to start with, so maybe a stencil and paste).

Microscope.

Telescope.

Surfboard. (Okay, maybe that's what I'd like, lol, but it might be okay for a 9 year old).

#6 threetimesblessed

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

An overnight bag, tote bag, backpack?

Does she like cooking? A cake pop maker, fondue set, cake decorating kit.

A small pet, goldfish, hermit crab?

Smiggle voucher?

#7 Independence

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Ideas I've collected from Australian (National) Geographic shop:
lava lamp, Microscope, Telescope, Puzzles, Worm castle,  volcano making kit, ball maze game, world globe(atlas), etc

http://shop.australi...C21.aspx?page=6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.