• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 alex32415

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm really curious why im putting on so much weight =|
Im almost 27 weeks and almost gained about 10 kilos.. which
seems way too much. I know you are meant to or whatever but
what is it that weighs soo much? if I look on internet it's just about
why are you particularly putting on weight not .. does your metabolism slow down heaps or something? or the baby only weighs like a kilo now....
fluid stuff? surely that's not that heavy!
As for eating etc everyday I eat pretty much the same thing - bowl of
no fat yoghurt with fruit and a little tiny bit of muesli (it has no sugar or
gluten I have a really sensitive belly)
Lunch is always a salad and dressing I make at home (if any) with wholegrain mustard a bit of balsamic and a tiny bit of olive oil.
for snack i have a handful of nuts occasionaly, sugar free gluten free cruskits with sugar free vegemite and avocado (usually 2), or a boiled egg.
and dinner I either cook a veggie dish or meat and vegetables.... barely
get any cravings etc I exercise at least 30 mins a day (light walk etc) but I go for a harder gym sesh with about hour of cardio including a run - cycle and elitiptical, body pump, body balance and a 40min - 1 hour swim. (standard each week)
Other days are just walking or cheesy youtube workouts.
What am I doing wrong! =| or is that it I just have to deal with it.
Is anyone else having this problem... maybe its all the fruit I eat, but
I think thts good for baby so I wont cut it out for the sake of being a fatty =(

#2 I am a shape

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

You are not doing anything wrong. Weight gain is not only normal but essential for growing your baby now and nourishing, breastfeeding, him or her after you have given birth.

It sounds like you are eating very well and keeping active which is great for you and your baby. It might be time to put the scales away and just relax. Easier said than done I know.

#3 alex32415

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

thankyou! it is very hard! I've always been kind of thin (not really thin just normal) and I'm terrified after I have the baby I'm going to be hugggee! I need to get over it, I know! it makes me feel better that it seems I'm not doing anything wrong though

#4 alex32415

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

what is the weight though? is it me or is it baby stuff?

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Baby + placenta + amniotic fluid + extra blood in your blood stream + breastfeeding reserve + eating to control nausea + avoiding salads .....

#6 belindarama

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

I don't belong in here but I just wanted to reassure you that it will probably work out fine.

I am small, always have been. I weigh around the 50kg mark.

With both pregnancies I put on 25 kgs. My eating habits barely changed.

It's just what my body does. With me a lot of it was fluid. Your blood volume doubles, your boobs get bigger, you have the baby and all the amniotic fluid.

By their first birthday parties I was back to normal and I did nothing differently. I didn't diet, exercise or make any effort to lose the weight. There was quite a bit of walking but with the second one it was at the pace of a three year old so not exactly strenuous or long distances.

I think I was probably back to normal by 9 months but I was definitely wearing pre-pregnancy outfits for their birthday parties.

#7 lurfest

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think our bodies just do what they have to.  Three quarters of the way through every winter I wake up one week inexplicably 2 kilos heavier. Three quarters of the way through summer I inexplicably lose 2kg.   This has occurred for the last 15 years!

#8 Bess Marvin

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

I went home from hospital 5kg lighter than when I fell pregnant - and gained 12kg during the pregnancy. There is so much fluid, extra blood flow, placenta (mine was huge) that sorts itself out really quickly after birth.

Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff to nourish you and your baby. Good luck!

#9 Michelle 125

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm not in this group but just hear to say its fine. I'm to a skinny Minnie when not preg's, I start off at around 50-52 kg and end up being around the 70kg mark at the end (it all seams to be belly and boob weight) I'm just at the 20 week mark with number 3 bub and all ready weigh 63kg, but it's just the norm for me as for a lot of othere lady's try not to stress and enjoy being round and healthy, it will come off, I usuly end up back to pre baby weight around the 5 month mark, you will be surprised how quick it goes after you have baby and BF I'm sure it all just gets sucked in to my boobs. :)

#10 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Fluid retention can make you "gain weight" in pregnancy. It can be perfectly harmless, though annoying, but can alsobe a signalof something more serious. If you have rapid weight gain and lots of swelling, it would be worth getting your BP checked.

If you gets visual disturbances, one side swelling more than the other, or frontal lobe headaches, DEFINITELY get it checked out quick smart.

I retain a lot of fluid while pregnant/breastfeeding. Even now, though I am about 5kgs lighter than pre-pregnancy, my wedding bands still don't fit, and probably won't until I stop BF.

#11 alex32415

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

thank you everyone feeling better already =) no-one likes to wake up and have gained a kilo overnight hahaha then another the next day =| at least I have a good excuse, I'll just say its my boobs I like that explanation

#12 alex32415

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

aow no I don't have any fluid retention/swelling any headaches im having a really cruisy pregnancy nothing hurts and nothings happening except for baby kicks... I barely have a bump, im just doubling in size.. I don't think its that .. alacritous-andy. Its like a rapid but steady weight gain if that makes sense - I feel it's normal I just wanted to know why it weighs so much, but now I see there are other things than just the baby in there I didn't think of. I can always double check with my oebstrician at my next appt though

#13 Schmig

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think I gained about 13 kgs last pregnancy and also came home from hospital 3 kgs lighter. My bub was 3.5 kgs so not huge either. I put on most of my weight between 17 and 24 weeks.  I am trying not to worry so much this time and it sounds like you are eating well and looking after yourself

#14 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Good to hear Alex, just putting it out there. :)

I think the one thing I would like to remind you is that even if you do end up "huge", your value is more than a number on a scale. And your changing body is not an enemy that needs to be conquered. By all means, aim to stay healthy and active. But be patient and kind to yourself. Your body is doing amazing things. Be proud of it whatever form it takes.

#15 alex32415

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Thank you for your positivity - huge was probably not the best choice of words. I just want to be healthy and comfortable =)

#16 alex32415

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

- my bf likes to remind me that i'm not kim kardashian hahaha
that always makes me laugh and feel better

#17 AllyK81

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

OP - I haven't weighed myself as I know I am eating healthy and exercising so there is no point knowing what the scales say. I am almost 29 weeks and think I've probably put on around 10kg. Could be more or less but the view I am taking is that there is no point worrying about it! Our bodies will do what they will do!

#18 tick

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

I gained 15 kgs both pregnancies, easily 10 of that by around your gestation.  I was 60kg when I got pregnant with the first, now after two babies I'm 55kg (youngest child has just turned one).  I eat constantly and don't exercise at all!  Breast feeding is a wonderful thing .....

#19 brushy

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

Because there's baby inside you that has to weigh something. The baby also has a placenta and amniotic fluid that weigh something.

#20 Frooti

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Try not to step on the scales. It couldn't possibly be fat with what you're eating.

If your body does store a little fat, it will be a reserve for breastfeeding and that comes straight off.

#21 boatiebabe

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'm 5'10" and weighed 58kgs when I first got pregnant - was was very thin, but I was a competitive athlete at the time, so I needed to be light for my sport.

I ate pretty well and excercised throughout the pregnancy and stopped going on the scales when they tipped 85kgs at about 35 weeks.

It just seemed that everything I ate, I needed, and it stuck.

Within a year I was back to 62kgs without really trying.

Second pregnancy I was determined to put less weight on but again everything stuck (I had terrible MS that was only put at bay with lots of carbs) and I probably put on 25kg in total.

Again I was back to about 64kgs in a year without trying.

My last baby was born 7 years ago and I am anywhere from 62-65kgs and the only excercise I do is walking and a few sit ups, push ups etc. I eat well but still have treats etc.

I wish I hadn't sweated the weight gain so much when I was pregnant.

I think if you have good habits before pregnancy and during pregnancy, you will get back to your old size and shape in good time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.