Would you like to find your family's awesome?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 F.E.B.E

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Posted Image

We know you love your kids, but we also know that parenting can sometimes be a challenge. That’s where our FREE four-week parenting course comes in.
Created by psychologist and the director of Parent Wellbeing, Jodie Benveniste, and in partnership with Essential Baby, the course aims to help every family find their ‘awesome’.
Over a series of 20 emails – you’ll get one every weekday – you’ll be given points to think about, and new actions to put in place in your home. At the end of the course, you’ll have new skills and insights that will help increase family functioning and avoid emotional and behavioural problems in your children. And it's fun, too!
You will also be chat with others about the daily tasks, and get support from those who are also taking part in this newly-created forum section.
And yes, it really is free – at no stage will you be asked to pay for the program.
The first email will be sent on Monday August 26, so sign up today to make sure you’re part of this exciting new program.  

#2 kazzamama

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Well, we're off to a flying start here... I asked DD1 (3 1/2 years) what is awesome about her family, and she thought for a while, then said "well, we have an awesome TV!"
Hmmm... :doh:

#3 fr0g

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Is it targeted towards any particular age group?

#4 F.E.B.E

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

That's very funny Kazzamama! At least you're doing better than me, I got home late and forgot to ask.

For me I'd say that we're all good at different things and are getting better at recognising and celebrating each other's strengths.

frogisafrog - The course is applicable to any parents.

#5 Morgaine71

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

I asked my 3 1/2 year old what she thinks is awesome about our family and her first response was 'we eat'! I then explained a bit more about what I was asking and she said "we help each other". This was a lovely thing to hear after a bad hormonal day for me being a big grumpy pants.

#6 parentwellbeing

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hey guys! Jodie Benveniste here from Parent Wellbeing. Well done for asking your kids what's awesome about your family! Off to a good start!

Unfortunately though, a few of you didn't get the email because of an error from our end that we are madly trying to fix! Our apologies!

If you sign up again there shouldn't be any errors this time. But we are hoping to get everything back on track very soon!

#7 Terracotta

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

My daughter thinks it's awesome that we have tacos and that her little brother's so cute (looks like her Father and I didn't make the cut!!!!)

#8 {Amy} PWB

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

FrogisaFrogisaFrog: YES definitely all ages, I think any parent would benefit from feeling more awesome :D

Terracotta: I also think it is awesome that taco's exist! YUM.

#9 {Amy} PWB

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostMorgaine71, on 27 August 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

I asked my 3 1/2 year old what she thinks is awesome about our family and her first response was 'we eat'! I then explained a bit more about what I was asking and she said "we help each other". This was a lovely thing to hear after a bad hormonal day for me being a big grumpy pants.

Nawww that is gorgeous Morgaine x

#10 {Amy} PWB

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postkazzamama, on 26 August 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Well, we're off to a flying start here... I asked DD1 (3 1/2 years) what is awesome about her family, and she thought for a while, then said "well, we have an awesome TV!"
Hmmm... Posted Image

Heehee.... having an awesome TV is very awesome indeed ;)

#11 Zeppelina

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

I signed up for this but haven't received any emails yet...help, anyone?

Whoops, just saw the update above. Thanks for that. Awaiting email :)

Edited by Zeppelina, 27 August 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#12 {Amy} PWB

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi R2D2, what a pain! Have you checked your junk mail folder?

If you can't find it please email Emma at emma@parentwellbeing.com and we will happily add you in manually.

Sorry for the hassle!

#13 parentwellbeing

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

I asked my kids what they think is awesome about our family. My daughter (10yo) said that we are creative and we like doing stuff together. My son (8yo) said that we have awesome chooks. So true! :smile:

#14 {Amy} PWB

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

So our system was less than awesome when we were innundated with parents who wanted to join our 'Find Your Awesome' challenge. The system crashed and a lot of email addresses were deleted.

With our sincere apologies please sign up again here if you haven't received your emails -> http://tinyurl.com/ma2vgg7

Sorry for the hassle guys, we hope you will join us on the journey for more AWESOME family life!

Edited by {Amy} PWB, 27 August 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#15 in a minute

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

I asked Miss 5 what is awesome about our family & she pondered a moment & said " Well daddy lets me do what ever I want & you buy me lollies " lol love her thinking .

#16 Mrs Farmer

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Day 3 and am loving all of this positive thinking :-) I am taking the time to think about things and why my family (me, my husband, 2 yr old son with baby #2 due in 5 weeks) is doing so great despite the daily challenges of life in general. Really happy I have signed up for this :-). Thank you :-)

#17 Morgaine71

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

So day 2 was a bit tough - we've had a house full of sickies, so things a bit more challenging than normal. I'm in a tough situation as it is with hubby working OS we haven't seen him face to face since the 8th Feb - at least we have Skype. Since then there's been many ups and downs with sickness and moving house at the beginning of July, me trying to get started with a course I enrolled in last October and all the normal day to day things. So I'm pretty exhausted and yesterday was a challenge indeed. But I came up with the following mantra:

I love my family and I'm doing the best I can

and it did help me get through a few tough moments. I think I'll use it everyday when I need it from now on.

Edited by Morgaine71, 28 August 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#18 {Amy} PWB

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostMorgaine71, on 28 August 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

So day 2 was a bit tough - we've had a house full of sickies, so things a bit more challenging than normal. I'm in a tough situation as it is with hubby working OS we haven't seen him face to face since the 8th Feb - at least we have Skype. Since then there's been many ups and downs with sickness and moving house at the beginning of July, me trying to get started with a course I enrolled in last October and all the normal day to day things. So I'm pretty exhausted and yesterday was a challenge indeed. But I came up with the following mantra:

I love my family and I'm doing the best I can

and it did help me get through a few tough moments. I think I'll use it everyday when I need it from now on.

You sound like you are doing an AWESOME job, you certainly have a lot going on and doing it solo is tough. GO YOU!

View PostMrs Farmer, on 28 August 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Day 3 and am loving all of this positive thinking :-) I am taking the time to think about things and why my family (me, my husband, 2 yr old son with baby #2 due in 5 weeks) is doing so great despite the daily challenges of life in general. Really happy I have signed up for this :-). Thank you :-)

And we are delighted to have you on board! Thanks for sharing Mrs Farmer!

View Postin a minute, on 27 August 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

I asked Miss 5 what is awesome about our family & she pondered a moment & said " Well daddy lets me do what ever I want & you buy me lollies " lol love her thinking .

Sounds like a seriously awesome family right there!!!

#19 {Amy} PWB

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

After dealing with the annoying technical difficulties I am a bit behind in the challenge. Finally got around to asking Ms. 7 what is awesome about our family and she said 'we are crazy'. Heehee I had to agree!

Miss 7 learnt what colours you can mix together to make other colours. She loves art so this will be very handy information.

#20 Terracotta

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Today my 1 year old learnt to say his sister's name.  It is his first word so it was very special

#21 Morgaine71

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Today was a continuation really of the last week for my little mr nearly 22 months old. He's had a huge language development leap and today there were definitely 3 new words - again (a nice change from more!), dinaur (for dinosaur) and tuna, and he's practising his sister's name. My 3 1/2 year was home sick from day care but watching her development every day is a joy and to just watch how carefully she cracked eggs so we could make omelette for lunch was wonderful. And the last few weeks she's been so focused on learning how to write and was proud to show me the letters she'd written in chalk on the cement out the back today.

#22 anneg

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

day 1 - my son said we were awesome because we bought them toys. hmmmm...

then asked miss almost four and she said 'because i was the best mummy in the world.' which led to master eight also saying we were the best mum and dad in the world, and miss almost four saying big brother was the best brother in the world.... etc... OK, happy with that!

day 2 - every day is a new adventure.

day 3 - today miss almost four did a sea picture. master eight is learning a new software program at school to help him with his literacy.

plenty of awesome in there.... :)

#23 anneg

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

oh. and when asked what i thought was awesome about our family, i said that 'we liked to have fun' and 'we tried hard to learn new things'.

#24 mhjemma

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Day 1 - DS1 said that our family was awesome because we all know how to play Minecraft (but mum, ie. me, is still learning and she doesn't know much)
DH said that we are awesome because we always have great conversations as a family
I think we are awesome because we always look out for each other and make sure that each of us are doing ok.

Day 2- "My job at the moment is to be a mother, not a housekeeper". Helps me to focus on spending time with my boys rather than tidying the garbage tip!

Day 3- Today's task brought me a lot of joy as I though about the amazing changes in my 5 month old that surprise me everyday. Today he spent a lot of time trying to roll, had a laughing fit at watching me roll around the lounge room and had a shower for the very first time. DS1 has surprised me over the last few days by giving me a hug and kiss in front of his class when I leave. Melts my heart :)

#25 F.E.B.E

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hi eveyrone,

Let's keep this as an ongoing general discussion about the challenge, and I will create individual threads for each 'challenge'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.