Dairy free diet for breast feeding mum

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dinosaurtrain

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hi All,

Have been advised by GP and chiro that DS (3 weeks) may have dairy intolerance. Therefore, it's been recommended that I eliminate dairy from my diet to see if this helps DS.

Am after some advice as to easy recipes, snack options and recommendations as what to avoid. Have done some reading and it seems that dairy pops up in a lot of foods.

Anyone have any ideas (or a basic cheat sheet??)? Googling has come up with excess information which I'm finding hard to process on sleep deprivation and caring for newborn. Any input would be appreciated.

For those that did eliminate dairy from your diet, did you notice a difference in bubs? How long did it take?

Thanks in advance...

#2 flowermama

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

I was dairy free for a while when breastfeeding DD2. It took about a week for me to notice a difference. I stuck to a lot of fruit, vegetables and unprocessed meats for meals. I found dairy free bread at a health shop (although I'm not sure if regular bread even has dairy!) and had toast for breakfast with Nuttelex (butter replacement) and vegemite or honey. For snacks I had fruit but I also found dairy free lollipops (health shop), dairy free biscuits and Sweet William chocolate from the health section at the supermarket. If you Google dairy free recipes you'll find a lot of great ideas and the Nuttelex website has a lot of recipes as well. Hope that helps!

#3 giggleandhoot

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

I find having no dairy easy  - though have been dairy free most of my life. There's a nut butter at the supermarket if you want to bake things i use. for dairy free ideas even just on the clean eating foods FB pages - heaps of ideas there  - coconut milk is dairy free and super yummy :)  I had to cut out dairy (i was sneaking in natural yogurt which i can sometimes tolerate) for DD2. In the end they put me on a pure protein diet which i don't recommend. I passed out on the floor with a new born and 3 year old! We ended up with lactose intolerance and had to go to prescription formula in the end. Though not til later i found i could've expressed and used the lacteeze tablets. It is so hard and i feel for you we had 2 years of it and trying to think about it with 2 hours sleep a night is hell! The FB pages should give easy ideas though :) hope it gets better soon!

#4 Chicken Penang

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

I have been recommended to remove dairy and soy from my diet by the paediatrician. My daughter is three months old with reflux. I have been on the diet for one month and it is helping. My DD is also taking omeprazole. I am using rice milk in my porridge. Eating lots of fruit and vegetables. Dinner is meat and three vege. If I am particularly hungry omlettes are quite filling. I needed something sweet so last week I made apple and cinnamon muffins. I used Nutelex instead of butter. I miss chocolate and I icecream but it is easy to stick to knowing if I give in it will effect her. Good luck.

#5 icekool

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

I was dairy free for all 3 of my babies. I drank soy milk.

#6 unicycle

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

I noticed the difference really quickly . What I thought were quirky explosive poohs I didn't even see as something to mention to anyone. It was only when eczema developed at around 6 months that the dairy was diagnosed. Within three days the eczema was gone and soon after no more explosive poohs. But having no dairy for two years was hard. I love milk, cheese, yoghurt and cream. I took sesame, broccoli and tofu, which I love a lot. I didn't take supplements, as I was concerned hat calcium supplement can be tricky to get right. I was nervous about soy, due to the talk at the time about the hormones not being awesome for boys and limited soy milk. Sadly, the soy milk that tasted best was full of ingredients that didn't sound like ingredients. I nursed the boy longer than the two years, but the sensitivity to dairy stopped around that age. I hope this helps.

#7 mayahlb

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Dairy free was fairly easy for me. It was removing soy that was hard. I was dairy (and so) free for 14 months while bfing ds2.
  • Nuttelex instead of butter (made from sunflower oil)
  • Soy/rice milk instead of milk
  • Bread - most bread doesn't have dairy unless it is made like soda bread. Just check the ingredients, dairy has to have a warning o the lable. It is sometimes called whey or casein.
  • Crackers: aviod as most have dairy in the form of cheese powder. Saladas are fine
  • Plain flavored corn chips are dairy free
  • Oreos are dairy free
  • Sweet william make a dairy free chocolate
  • Lint dark chocolate over 70% is dairy (and soy) free
  • Soy yoghurt
  • Rice milk and 1/2 cauliflower pureed makes an awesomely tasty white sauce. I've used this for lasange, pasta,tuna morney
Hope that helps a little.

#8 lucky 2

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

It seems early to wonder if something in the maternal diet is causing a problem, I say that because the behaviour of a healthy 3 week old term baby can be pretty unsettled.
What sort of symptoms does your baby have that they think are caused by cows milk products in your diet?
All the best.

#9 a letter to Elise.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

I was thinking it was quite early as well. If it is a dairy issue, you should see a difference within few days.

I have been dairy free for about a year. We use nuttelex, rice milk or soy milk, soy sour cream and soy cream cheese (tofuti brand). The soy sour cream and cream cheese are really useful - the sour cream works for any kind of creamy sauce, and is also great mixed with nuttelex and some sugar to make mock cream or icing. We have tried other soy cheese, but they aren't great. We were also using almond milk, but had to cut it out due to DDs allergies.

Things to watch out for are savoury foods, like gravy mix, stock powders, flavoured chips etc. as they often contain skim milk powder. Other baked goods can also be an issue. A lot of gluten free products are dairy free, so you could find some things in the health food section.

We bake most of our own biscuits as it work out cheaper.

#10 purple_daisy

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'm also considering reducing dairy to see if it helps my DD's green poosplosions. I've been brainstorming meal ideas today and I think it will be easier than expected - once I get used to not having all the cheesy pasta bakes and pre packaged foods that I had gotten used to.  It is probably quite a healthy, clean way of eating. Here are some ideas I came up with

Dinners
Any meat/fish and veg combos eg slow cooked stews, marinated meat with veg, grilled meat/seafood with veg (I have tons of frozen veg to allow variety plus the minimal preparation is great in those early months)
Pasta with tomato based sauces eg spag bol
Homemade soup - minestrone/carrot/pumpkin
Homemade shepherd's pie
Things with egg and veg eg omelette/frittata/zucchini slice/corn fritters just don't add cheese or cream

Easy lunch/breakfast
Eggs on toast/mushrooms on toast

Snacks
Scones/muffins/cakes using nuttelex instead of butter
Nature's Valley oats and honey muesli bars don't have dairy. They are alright and taste very healthy.

Then once warmer weather hit it would be grilled/bbq'd meat with salad. That is what we have most nights in summer anyway so won't be too hard.

Good luck

#11 dinosaurtrain

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Will give some of those recipes a go.

For those PPs that asked re: signs indicating a possible dairy intolerance:
- DS has been extremely unsettled and uncomfortable after feeding.
- Explosive, runny poos
- reflux type symptoms
- also unsettled at breast at times

As an update:
dairy free for a week and haven't noticed a lot of difference. GP suggested trying infact gaviscon to see if it made a difference (if DS has reflux). Have tried gaviscon for the last few days and noticed a massive difference. No more extreme unsettledness after feeding, happier to lie down and he has been feeding better. Therefore, I'm assuming my original thought of reflux may be correct and that DS has no dairy intolerance.

He is still a typical young baby with bouts of crying, however, nothing like it was.

In fact, we are now having the issue of DS not staying awake for all feeds! He'll feed for up to 10-15 minutes, then fall asleep and refuse to wake up despite all my attempts. Have our 4 week appt with the MCHN so will check it out with her.

Thanks again for all the advice, extremely helpful!

#12 lucky 2

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hi, thanks for the added information, the link below has information on lactose overload just in case this is an issue for your baby. Of course it may not be.
https://www.breastfe...overload-babies
I'm glad the reflux medication had some effect, it may need follow up.
There are so many things going on in the gut of 3 week old, plenty other things to work through before changing maternal diet unless of course there is a history of allergies in the family.
The link below has lots of information on reflux.
http://www.reflux.org.au/

#13 dinosaurtrain

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thanks lucky2.

We'll be testing out Gaviscon this week to confirm if it makes a difference, then go back to the GP. Our GP tends to use it as diagnostic tool and will prescribe medications or further investigations if needed.

Had looked up the info re: lactose overload earlier and have been conscious of trying to ensure that DS empties first breast as much as possible before going on to second.

Any thoughts on his reduced feeding now? Is 4 weeks too young for breast refusal? It's not like he's refusing to drink, he just drinks for about 10-15minutes, then falls asleep. Have done all the usual things to try and wake him up again like undressing, changing nappy, playing with feet, ears etc, lying him down etc. Will be checking it out with the MHCN tomorrow.

#14 lucky 2

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

The thing to keep an eye on is whether or not he is weeing, pooing and growing. And for you if you continue to have healthy breasts and nipples.
If everything is fine as per above then the shorter feeds may not be a problem.
Though he might be having shorter feeds because you have lots of milk and a fast flow.
Dd started with her reflux symptoms at 3 weeks and we finally started some Zantac at 10 weeks, she wasn't refusing the breast as such but she was very fussy with feeds and crying/screaming a lot, she'd come on and off.
How I managed to get milk into her during those 7 stressful weeks (I was trying to give her time to see if those symptoms passed before seeing a Dr but they didn't) was the opposite of the suggestions of lactose overload (which I don't think was an issue for us) called switch feeding, when she came off crying I'd just switch sides and sometimes it would take up to 8  sides before  she'd not take any more.
That may or not help with your baby but it wouldn't be necessary if he is feeding well enough to be thriving.
All the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.