Day 4 - Reflect on one thing you learnt about yourself today

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 F.E.B.E

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Today's challenge is to take pleasure in something you have learnt about yourself since becoming a parent. It might be:

'I learnt how to be more patient'
'I now know how to do three things at once'
'I've learnt how to really show my love'

What have you learned today?

If you haven't yet signed up to our "Find the awesome in your family" challenge you can do so here:

http://www.parentwel...ampaign=awesome

#2 parentwellbeing

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Recently, I've been focusing on staying calm even when I feel like I've got too much on my plate. It's taking a lot of 'checking in' throughout the day, and then consciously stopping and taking a deep breath or two. But it's working! And the more I practice, the better I'm getting at it!

#3 Terracotta

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

I've learnt that I can survive on WAY less sleep than I thought I could!!!

#4 VintageEyes

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Having trouble with this one and came in to steal someone elses idea but only two posts so far. Not a helpful as I was hoping :)

#5 {Amy} PWB

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostVintageEyes, on 29 August 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Having trouble with this one and came in to steal someone elses idea but only two posts so far. Not a helpful as I was hoping Posted Image

Heehee... I hope you get some steal worthy answers soon ;)

I have learnt that a cuddle can fix pretty much anything!

Edited by {Amy} PWB, 29 August 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#6 zogee

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

I've learnt that you can't control much in life, to just go with the flow and drop my expectations.

#7 {Amy} PWB

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

View Postzogee, on 29 August 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

I've learnt that you can't control much in life, to just go with the flow and drop my expectations.

So true Zogee, so true!

#8 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

I've learnt that perfection is a myth and that doing the best you can is enough.

#9 daisydo

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I learnt that when my child is injured due to an adults negligence I get very grumpy!

#10 {Amy} PWB

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Ut oh Daisydo, that doesn't sound good!

Swahili: perfection is overated anyways ;)

#11 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

View Post{Amy} PWB, on 29 August 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Swahili: perfection is overated anyways Posted Image
Absolutely.

#12 mhjemma

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

Today I learnt (remembered) that stopping to enjoy the moment is worth more than anything.
DS1 asked me to hang out with him and chat while he was in the bath. We talked, laughed and nutted out some things that were bothering him. I would never have known he was worried about things if I hadn't simply stopped and spent a little time with him.

#13 {Amy} PWB

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

mhjemma: so, so true! We got so caught up in the million and one things we have to do, it get's tricky to remember to stop and be in the moment sometimes.

#14 {Amy} PWB

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Eep, I have reached my positive quota for the day, so much awesome in this thread!

Loving reading all your responses, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :heart:

#15 Therese

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

I learnt that laughter really is the best medicine. It's good for everyone's souls when laughter is something that is present every day. It really lightened the mood for my family yesterday.

#16 {Amy} PWB

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Love it Therese!

#17 RuRa

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hey! I can now reply to the posts, the glitches are now fixed ;)
I've learnt (slowly) about letting a few things go and seeing how that's provided me immediate relief! So practice is the key and I hope to continue remembering the important things in life and that being in the moment with my children and their happiness & laughter mean so much more than a tidy house or neatly folded laundry lol !

#18 Morgaine71

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

I've learnt that I cannot expect anyone else to help me when I need it the most and I can only really count on myself when it comes down to the crunch. It's been a hard lesson to learn with a lot of heart ache and deep hurt, but every day I keep being reminded that it's absolutely the truth and it has never been made more obvious than since I've had children.

#19 {Amy} PWB

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

RuRa: WELL DONE!!!!

Morgaine71: that sure does sound like a hard lesson. I hope you get support in other ways (online for example), as doing it all alone is tough. The positive is that you show a lot of strength by pulling yourself through the tough times x

#20 RuRa

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

Thx Amy PWB! x

Morgaine71: Don't know how Ur doing it dear, but Ur doing it somehow & it sounds like a pretty fantabulous job if u ask me! Hang in there!! x

Edited by RuRa, 02 September 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#21 Morgaine71

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thanks RuRa! I don't know either, but somehow I get through each day, even if there's been some tears and meltdowns along the way. Just have to keep remembering that my kids need me and I love them like I've never loved anything before in my life. We're all fabulous!

Edited by Morgaine71, 03 September 2013 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.