Day 05 - Sit down as a family and enjoy a meal & a chat together.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EB-Marion

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

Today's challenge is to

Sit down as a family and enjoy a meal together. Have a chat about the good things that happened that day.

Today, or sometime over the weekend, sit down at the table together and share a meal.Go around the table and ask everyone, 'What's something good that's happened today?'

If you haven't yet signed up to our "Find the awesome in your family" challenge you can do so here:
http://www.parentwel...ampaign=awesome

Tell us about how your experience with the challenge today. Did you share a family meal?  Did chatting over a family meal help the conversation flow?

#2 {Amy} PWB

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Anybody manage this one tonight? Or will you try for the weekend?

We had dinner together tonight and we got a 4 year old grandstanding and talking a million miles a minute. No one else got a word in edgewise but was nice just to sit and listen to her happy chatter!

#3 zogee

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

We did have dinner together and my 5 yo talked about her fun day spent with a school friend. The best part was 'playing vampires' apparently :p

#4 {Amy} PWB

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hehe playing vampires does sound like fun! Gosh kids are cute!

#5 Therese

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

We do this most days :)  My girls are older (10 and 13) and so they really look forward to it :)

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

We do this nearly every day... Do people not eat as a family anymore?

#7 Lyra

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

I am already awesome! LOL We do this every single day! On school days my son has a communication device that we help him to activate. The teacher talks about his day on his behalf.  On the weekends one of us chooses to talk about something that he did. My daughter can talk about a million things so we limit her to 3 good things and 'one for luck'

#8 RuRa

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

We do this most days too :) and the last month has been an absolute joy watching my Dd play & interact with her 7.5mth old baby brother so lovingly & having great laughs x

#9 Poughkeepsie

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

We do this every day as well.  It is the time when the TV is off, all bums are on chairs at the dinner table and each person gets a turn telling us the best and worst parts of their respective days.  I love this.  Our 3 kids are still only young (under 9) and so keen to share their lives with us.  I am hoping if we plant the seed early, thèy will always want to involve us as parents, even through the dreaded teenage years!

Edited by Poughkeepsie, 02 September 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#10 Morgaine71

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Like many of the others on here, this is a standard thing for every meal in our family. It was always important from the outset, when my first child started on solids, that we eat together and have light-hearted conversations. Maybe it's my Greek background where meal times are relaxed and social? So like the others, we're already awesome!

#11 parentwellbeing

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

So good to hear about everyone's family meals. They really are a simple and lovely ritual to build into your family life. And I do think that when you begin when the kids are young, it helps as they get older. Thanks for sharing everyone!

#12 {Amy} PWB

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Great to hear so many of you already doing this! Keep it up!

#13 Terracotta

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

We do this as much as possible - but sometimes my husband can't make it home before my 1 yr old needs to eat!!  In the spirit of the challenge I wanted to change things up so we ate outside on Friday - it was unusually warm and I got bitten by mosquitos but it was so nice and something different to do...almost felt like being on holiday!  I'm going to try and eat outside as much as possible when the weather permits (note to self: buy mosquito burning coils!).

#14 Morgaine71

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

we've definitely had some beautiful weather for al fresco dining! I think I'll take a leaf from your book and see it as an opportunity to enjoy relaxing meals outside before it gets too hot!

#15 {Amy} PWB

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

I love eating outside! Will definitely be trying to do more of it this summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.