Day 07 - Make light of a tricky situation and try to share a laugh

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EB-Marion

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Day 07 - When your child is complaining or whining, make light of the situation and see if you can share a laugh

Today, instead of buying into your child's whining and complaining, make light of it and see what happens!

Tell us about your experience with the challenge today. How did it go?

More about the "Find the Awesome in your family" challenge: Click here

#2 Morgaine71

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

Here's an article about whining that my mum found because my 3 and a half year old was hitting her stride with it. Thought it might help give us a new perspective on it:

http://www.littlehea...ing-is-a-win-2/

#3 {Amy} PWB

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

That is a GREAT article Morgaine, my kids must be soooooo mature Posted Image

#4 Morgaine71

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hahahah Amy. I know what you mean! Today's challenge was a failure for me today unfortunately. Melt down city today with toddler and preschooler fights going on

#5 Morgaine71

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

so today is over (well the kids are in bed) and I can say without a doubt it was a tough one for meeting my awesome challenge. I did try and have a bit of light hearted fun at dinner by calling my mr toddler by his new nickname, Bruce, named after the Great White Shark in Finding Nemo! A big gold star for anyone who can guess how he got that one Posted Image

#6 RuRa

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yup still working on this challenge today! We've tried the distracting trick by talking about my DD's day in childcare, getting her to sing a song but nothing much works in getting her to put on her clothes quickly! It always ends up with me getting frustrated and short with her, or bribing her with a treat:( So turning it on its head & injecting some humour to the situation might help make it light hearted for the both of us, ...as long as she likes my jokes lol!

#7 Terracotta

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I pulled funny faces when I caught my four year old out lying (I felt like screaming my head off!) and it turned out good...my mood changed and so did hers!

#8 parentwellbeing

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Morgaine71 - yes some days this one can be harder than others. Always worth a try though!

#9 {Amy} PWB

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

My eldest didn't want to finish her karate lesson so I said I would do it for her. She thought I was funny standing there with all the kids and she eventually joined in!

#10 Morgaine71

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Amy PWB that's awesomely brilliant!

#11 {Amy} PWB

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Morgaine, I am not above publicly humiliating myself to teach my kids a lesson :p

#12 RuRa

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

My little miss DD3 was playing up today in bed as I was trying to get her down for a nap & I could sense myself feeling frustrated & defeated by the minute when she cracked a joke & started giggling, so I gave her tickles & we both ended up in fits of laughter! That was a lovely surprise ending, albeit no nap as her little bro woke up just then but at least I felt that we had some quality time together with cuddles, a laugh & story time.

#13 {Amy} PWB

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

That's great RuRa, glad you turned around a potentially cranky pants no win situation into giggles!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.