Yellow nose

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mille-Mille

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

My mum pointed out to me last week that DS seems to have a slight yellow tinge to his skin, most obvious around his nose.  I have taken him to the GP who says it's most likely diet related (overdose of carotenoids), but she gave me a referral to his Paed (appointment is next Monday) to be on the safe side.  He has no other symptoms of a liver problem, but I still worry!

So I guess i'm looking to you EB folks to ease my mind a bit and tell me your stories of having a yellow tinged baby, eeekkk!
If it is diet related, as expected, do I cut out the offending foods completely until his colour returns to normal? Then can I introduce those foods again? It's quite hard to find/make tasty food that doesn't have a high level of carotenoids in them (upon researching, many non orange veggies also have high levels).  And I don't want to stop giving him healthy veggies, I guess i'm at a bit of a loss.

#2 wallofdodo

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Yes, I turned my first son yellowy-orange.

His diet was carrot pumpkin sweet potato and broccoli.

Someone at work asked me if he had jaundice! He was 7 months at this stage, and I thought hmmm he does look a little yellow.

I just cut back on it all, and tried a few other things. It went away and I slowly re introduced those foods.

I can't remember if I went to the GP or not, I know I didn't go to a pediatrician about it.

Edited by wallofdodo, 05 September 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#3 Chelara

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

I've had plenty of friends whose children had the same thing due to a love of pumpkin/orange veg. No big deal and pretty common I think.

#4 Mille-Mille

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

When you cut out the orange food, how long did it take for his skin to get back to normal colour?
Is it over kill taking him to the Paed? It's what the GP suggested because she didn't want to order him a blood test without a 2nd opinion.

Also, he is breastfed and I eat a lot of veggies and drink fresh veg and fruit juices.  Do carontenoids transfer to breast milk?

Edited by Mille-Mille, 05 September 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#5 klr75

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

yes my son went a yellow/orange colour around the nose and mouth, and it was due to carrots and pumpkim - only lasted a month or so and faded

#6 klr75

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

actually come to think of it, my son looked more like he'd had a bad fake tan on his face!!! LOL...  I didn't bother changing his diet, his system just got used to it, and i'm sure if only last a month

#7 Mille-Mille

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'm feeling better now, thanks :)
I've already made the Paed appointment so i'll just take him I guess, can't hurt I suppose.

#8 Mille-Mille

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Oh and my kids are booked with a photographer next month, so I hope it's gone then!

#9 wallofdodo

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostMille-Mille, on 05 September 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

When you cut out the orange food, how long did it take for his skin to get back to normal colour?
Is it over kill taking him to the Paed? It's what the GP suggested because she didn't want to order him a blood test without a 2nd opinion.

Also, he is breastfed and I eat a lot of veggies and drink fresh veg and fruit juices.  Do carontenoids transfer to breast milk?

It was 4 years ago, I really don't remember how long it took. Sorry. No idea about breast milk either!

I can't say if you should go to a Pead or not, that is for you to decide. Speak to your GP if you are unsure.  You could ask them those questions?

#10 Mille-Mille

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Yeah i'll ask the Dr, thanks again.

#11 red_squirrel

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Good on you for taking him to the paed.
Better to be safe than sorry.

#12 Pssst...

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

This happened to DD1 as well. We already had an appointment with the paed for another matter. Almost as soon as we sat down the paed said, so she likes her vegies then!

DD2 has recently had a phase of it too. Think it took 3-4 weeks for it to fade

#13 wallofdodo

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostMille-Mille, on 05 September 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Yeah i'll ask the Dr, thanks again.

Sorry I posted at the same time as when you said you would still go to the pead.

Good luck, home they are a normal hue by the time photos come around.

#14 maman de singe

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

My DD (now 25 months) had the same thing at around 18 months old. She developed quite a strong yellowy-orange "fake tan" tinge to her skin - especially around her nose, hands and feet and other joints. My GP said exactly the same thing about carotenoids. (I was freaking out about jaundice / liver disease too, but GP said extremely unlikely given that her eyes were white & she was otherwise very healthy & energetic). The plan was to cut back on the amount she was consuming and see if it improved.

I was stressing out too when my research was showing that practically all fruit and veg have carotenoids. So I just decided to not be paranoid about it, and to just cut out all the obvious orange ones (carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato) for a while and see what happened. We started seeing a change within the first week or two, but it took several weeks (maybe even a couple of months?) before her skin was completely back to normal.

Since them I've reintroduced the orange foods but in smaller quantities. I've noticed that she has redeveloped a very faint tinge around her nose and feet and hands - but nothing like as bad as before! Now I know what it is I'm not worrying about it any more, and I figure she'll grow out of it.

Our GP did also give me a referral to a paed, but when the dietary changes cleared it up we decided not to bother following it up as it was pretty obvious that her diagnosis had been right!

ETA DD was also breastfeeding but sorry, I don't know whether carotenoids transfer through breast milk. I didn't change my diet though.

Edited by maman de singe, 05 September 2013 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.