Day 11 - If you catch yourself feeling guilty, say to yourself 'I love myself and my children'

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 {Amy} PWB

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Welcome to Day 11 of the 'Find the awesome in your family' challenge!

Guilt is something that too many of us experience as parents. But it doesn't have to be this way!

If we value ourselves and everything we do for our family, we are less likely to feel guilty.

Today, if you catch yourself feeling guilty, say to yourself 'I love myself and my children'. Then let the guilty feeling pass. Just let it go.

Notice whether it makes a difference.

#2 {Amy} PWB

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

I was feeling guilty as I was on a mission to clean the house and was feeling bad for not spending time with my daughter.

I reminded myself that having a tidy house would let me spend more time with her later more relaxed.

She ended up commenting 'you are working really hard today Mummy', and then I felt even better as I was modelling hard work to her.

#3 anneg

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hi all, this was a very appropriate topic for me today. I am holding onto a lot of guilt regarding my son's learning issues. He was having tutoring last year in Adel and really needs it, but when we moved to Melb i didn't want to put him under any more pressure than he already was, so let things slide. i bought the remote version of his Adel tutoring program, but for one reason or another, just haven't worked solidly with him on it and suddenly we are in term three. i have just started working towards an assessment for dyslexia to move forward on this one. so today i tried hard to say this phrase when i was feeling guilt about the situation. it did make me feel a bit better, as i can see that is all about recognising we are all trying to do our best for the whole family.

#4 {Amy} PWB

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

That's great Anneg. We are all just trying to do our best. It's hard when there are extra issues to deal with. Go easy on yourself x

#5 RuRa

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

That's great Amy, and so mature or your daughter that she could see the positive side of u cleaning frantically! My daughter is still too young but I hope she can understand it that way when little older...

Yes I feel guilt for this very reason too, that all she probably sees is mummy doing housework & not spending quality time with her...but I totally agree with u that after its done, I do feel more relaxed and look forward to spending time with her & making it up to her real good! But the dilemma in this is that most often after all that, I'm jus too pooped & really hav to find the strength to find some renewed energy & enthusiasm again to play with the kids LOL! It's tricky of finding that balance of jus doing the basics, enought to satisfy u so u don't feel like u live in a pigsty & can be proud of yr home, but also not spend all day trying to do it all :)

#6 parentwellbeing

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

There's always a balance, isn't there RuRa!

#7 Terracotta

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

My son has been sick lately and has needed extra attention around some surgery and I've felt really guilty about sidelining my daughter.  I've planned a little outing just with with her on Saturday but saying 'I love myself and my children' has also helped me feel less conflicted because I know that if I can help my son get better asap then everyone will feel back to normal soon.

#8 {Amy} PWB

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

That's brilliant Terracotta! It's a balancing act and we can only do what we can.

#9 Morgaine71

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Terracotta it really is hard when one of them is sick and needing extra love and help. Jealousy definitely kicks in with my kids when that happens. Not always easy to manage it, but we always have to remember we do the best we can in the situation. special time one on one is such a lovely thing to do. Good luck with it all and I hope your boy gets well very very soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.