Day 16: Catch your child doing something good today and tell them

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 {Amy} PWB

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

It can be so easy to hear yourself say, ‘No!’ all day long. It can seem like we’re always telling our kids off or telling them what they’re doing wrong.

But it can be so much more beneficial for our kids, and enjoyable for us to focus on what our kids are doing right, and to tell them when they are behaving well.

It can be as simple as, ‘That’s great helping, thank you!’ or ‘What lovely manners!’

Today, can you catch you child doing something good and can you tell them?

#2 {Amy} PWB

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

My four year old can be a bit painful walking to and from kindy. Yesterday when she was walking without any prompting she proudly walked the rest of the way with no complaining YAY!

#3 Terracotta

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

My daughter has been really good lately at waiting until 6.30 before getting out of bed.  Today I told her I've really noticed and I'm proud of her  and we're going to have ice cream on Friday as a treat!

#4 Morgaine71

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

I've been working on this anyway as I've been aware of an over tendency when tired and stressed to focus on the 'bad' behaviour and to say no, stop, enough all the time. I'm especially praising when my two little ones are not fighting and are playing nicely together. I also pile on the praise when one of them shows empathy, thoughtfulness and generosity to the other one. Today (Monday) was one of those amazing days where the rhythm just happened so easily, though the day didn't start well.

#5 {Amy} PWB

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

That's awesome Morgaine. Glad that your Monday was fabulous!

P.S thank you so much for engaging so much in this challenge. You're awesome x

#6 anneg

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

i loved this challenge. when you really try there are so many things you can find to praise. even with the smallest things you are 'noticing' and more present. it works!

#7 parentwellbeing

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

I found that I'm more negative than I need to be sometimes with the kids - I think it's a pattern from my family when I was growing up - a tendency to see the negative. Hard to undo - but being aware really helps!

#8 Morgaine71

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

parentwellbeing yes it is so easy to stick with the 'default' we've learned. I have noticed that in myself as well and being aware of my negative self talk especially around my kids, and shifting it as much as possible. I learned some good things from my family and some bad - and the latter I do not want to pass on to my children!

#9 RuRa

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Guess this whole challenge is officially over, we've had a week of illness & bad sleeping for the litties so for what it's worth, here's my response (and I'd love to finish what I started so playing catchup!)

My jus-turned-3yr old DD has been surprisingly great with her toilet training and I think (fingers crossed!) is finally starting to be really comfortable with it and I can see that she's proud of herself when she goes to the big potty:) I've been especially praising (OTT even) with her achievements, and as an incentive and reward we've been giving her a few cents each time she tells us, and uses, the potty. She seems to be really proud of that and takes her time and care to insert her money into the slot:) its endearing to watch the quiet glee on her face!

#10 {Amy} PWB

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Nawwwww thats so sweet RuRa!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.