#1 ~A2~

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

New thread time guys

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 archyandmehitabel

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

After seeing the Tall Ships when they were in Melbourne a few weeks back I'm reading Don Charlwood's The Long Farewell. It gives a great picture of the experiences of the voyage to Australia for 19th C emigrants in the days of sail

#3 ComradeBob

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

I recently read The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillipa Gregory, and hated it. I got a rather sick of "teh ebil witch queen is using ebil spellz on All Mai Family and now they're dead", which seemed to me to be all the fecking book was about. So I decided to go back to the original and still the best - The Sunne In Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman.

I'm enjoying it greatly and thinking that I must read more of her books soon.

#4 Illiterati

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

#5 Helena Handbasket

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Just finished the Signature Of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert (great book, and nothing like her Eat, Pray, Love rubbish)

#6 Astrocyte

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

The Night Circus. Absolutely loving it.

#7 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

I'm about half way through Questions Of Travel. It's beautifully written & I'm enjoying it but it hasn't really captured me, I just can't quite warm to the characters.

#8 Justaduck

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

Re-reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Have just finished (though had read them all before) all the autobiographies of the Osbourne family. Sharon's latest book came out a few days ago so hoping it is in the library soon

#9 asignatureofthings

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Under the Never Sky, by Veronica Rossi. I'm a bit meh about it (one third of the way through), hopefully it'll get better.

Before this I read the Lunar Chronicles (Cinder & then Scarlet) by Marissa Meyer. They were great.

Under the Dome by Stephen King & also The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell. Both of those were also good.

#10 Tyfle Hour

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'm finally reading Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.  I'm really enjoying it - she's a great writer.

#11 Tyfle Hour

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostHelenaHandbasket, on 13 October 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Just finished the Signature Of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert (great book, and nothing like her Eat, Pray, Love rubbish)
I saw her interviewed with Jennifer Byrne and it does sound like a book I'd like.  I've never read Eat Pray Love as it didn't sound like my cup of tea, but this one does.  I'll put it on my list, along with Tim Winton's new one and The Luminaries.

#12 Feral Becky

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

"The Tattooed Girl" by Joyce Carol Oates.

#13 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostCleverChook, on 16 October 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

I'm finally reading Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.  I'm really enjoying it - she's a great writer.

I loved it too. I really liked her "People of the Book" as well. I agree - she's a great story teller.

I might stalk this thread for inspiration - I am attempting (and have been for some time!) Michel Houellebecq's "Atomised" - I think one needs to be in the mood for it....kind of like Kundera ...

#14 loubee

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Just finished The Virgin Suicides, can't believe I've never read this.  Starting Eyrie, Tim Winton after I get my foot at a talk with horn tomorrow night.

#15 two_ones

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

I have just finished reading Room by Emma Donoghue, about a boy and his mother being held captive in a shed for 7 years.

It is told from the perspective of the 5 year old boy, who has never been outside, and has no concept of the outside world.

I really could not put it down. Apparently the author conceived the idea after hearing of the Josef Fritzl case, however since then there's also been the Jaycee Dugard case and more recently the Cleveland kidnappings that I kept thinking about all the while I was reading.

#16 Ianthe

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

I have just finished An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. First one I have read of his and I will read more.

#17 Colleer

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

I am part way through the third book in the Game of Thrones series.  Loving it - have been reading these books in a row, but might be due for a bit of a light hearted break once I finish this one!

#18 overthehill

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

View Posttwo_ones, on 21 October 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

I have just finished reading Room by Emma Donoghue, about a boy and his mother being held captive in a shed for 7 years.

It is told from the perspective of the 5 year old boy, who has never been outside, and has no concept of the outside world.

I really could not put it down. Apparently the author conceived the idea after hearing of the Josef Fritzl case, however since then there's also been the Jaycee Dugard case and more recently the Cleveland kidnappings that I kept thinking about all the while I was reading.

This sounds interesting, is it really sad though?

#19 Ianthe

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Reading something light on the kindle The Pollyanna Plan by Talli Roland. It isn't great but it was a cheapie.

#20 Ianthe

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

Loving it.

#21 Tall Poppy

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

A spectator's guide to World Religions by John Dickson.

It's a topic area that interests me and am hoping that it will help me with my next unit for uni. Not sure that it will though now I have started reading it.

#22 two_ones

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

View Postoverthehill, on 22 October 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

This sounds interesting, is it really sad though?

Not wanting to give away any spoilers, but no not as sad as you might think!

#23 mamacantik

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

The latest Khaled Hosseini - And The Mountain Echoed. About 100 pages in. I think he's a great storyteller though he sometimes lacks the art of understatement.

I also have I Take You by Nikki Gemmell on the shelf. I've liked her other books. I'll give this one a go, though I'm not sure the subject matter will be my cup of tea :-)

#24 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm reading what I think is the first book in a series? :unsure:
Cathy Glass - Damaged.  Horrible book really :down: but one of the first I'm reading as I try to get back into reading after not being able to with little ones. It certainly is keeping me interested, should have it finished tonight.

Will have to read through this thread for ideas for more.

#25 Tyfle Hour

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Just read Delirium and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver, the first two in a YA trilogy.  Can't wait to get my hands on the final after an interesting twist at the end of the second.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.