What Are you Reading ATM #17

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#126 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

I've just started Prince of Darkness by Sharon Kay Penman....seems good so far....

#127 Feral_Faylie

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Light fiction - Blood of elves by Andrzej Sapkowski

Quality fiction - The Ringmaster's daughter by Jostein Gaarder

Non-fiction - Myth of the perfect mother by Jane Swigart

I am enjoying all three which is nice.

#128 Ianthe

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

I have just read The Europeans by Henry James-enjoyed that.

Am now about to start re reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I was in the mood to re read Jane Eyre but I cannot find a copy on my bookcase and my kindle is low on charge and I can't find the charger. Disaster.

#129 cardamom

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Just finished The Help; I really enjoyed it.

I'm about to start Stealing Picasso for book club, but I'd kinda rather be reading the new book I bought yesterday - The Boy's Own Manual To Being A Proper Jew, written by a local Melbourne guy. I can't wait to read it.

#130 Guest_loulou_b_*

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

I'm reading "Mistress to the crown" by Isolde Martyn. It's about Jane Shore who was mistress to one of the king Edwards. I've no idea how accurate it is but it's quite a good easy read.  I like historical fiction.
Anyone looking for another great historical fiction novel, read "Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brooks ..... set in england during the plague.... surprisingly awesome book.

#131 OrganisedChaos

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'm reading The Red Leather Diary at the moment and it's just not doing it for me, seems a bit disjointed.

Also reading Kidwrangling by Kaz Cooke - really liked Up the Duff and this follows on from that, definitely a door stopper, it's huge!

Am debating whether to start Outlander or not.  I have the first few in the series but reading time is limited these days and I'm worried it might be too big to get stuck into.  I have heard it's a quick read so maybe I'll give it a go.

#132 50ftqueenie

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

My most recent reads:
NW by Zadie Smith - disappointing, wouldn't recommend
All that happened at number 26 by Denise Scott - fun read
My Notorious Life by Kate Manning - recommended to me because I like historical fiction. It was a good yarn, but not informative enough for my liking
we Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler - I loved, loved, loved this
The Mothers' Group by Fiona Higgins - lightweight beginning that surprised me with a moving final third

I have just started The Cove by Ron Rash. I've not read any of his work before, but I am already loving it!

#133 Ianthe

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

I have We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves on my kindle for when we go away in November.

I am currently reading Gone With the Wind. What a great read. But the racism-good lord.

#134 OrganisedChaos

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

Ooo, I loved Gone with the Wind and read it on the Kindle - my first read on there and I have to say it was good for such a long book as it didn't weigh 10 kilos and as I was reading I didn't think wow, I've still got so much to go because I wasn't measuring the physical pages - if that makes sense.

Hope you like it!

#135 Weirdly Sane

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

Lately I have read "This House of Grief" which then sent me off to read "Joe Cinque's Consolation".  Both amazing.

Then "We are All Completely Beside Ourselves" which I also loved and heartily recommend.

Now having procrastinated long enough I am getting stuck into my book club book:  "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt.  Took me a while to get into it but I'm hooked now - just as well because I've been reading a week and am only 1/4 way through!

#136 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

All my reading this year has been uni related. Currently I am reading Cassius Dio's "the Roman History: The Reign of Augustus". It covers the rise of Emperor Augustus following the assassination of Julius Caesar and deals with the relationship between Antony and Cleopatra. It is surprisingly fascinating but the relationships and inter-marriages make a Days of Our Lives family tree look simple.

#137 Hedgoth

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

For a light hearted read, i just finished Catching babies by Sheena Byrom. It was a good read :)

#138 Tyfle Hour

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

I'd forgotten about this thread. I just finished My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier.  I loved it.  I don't think I'd read it, but perhaps I had years ago, or seen the movie as the plot didn't seem vaguely familiar.

#139 Astrocyte

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

I've recently finished The Giver, Etched on Me, Wintergirls, and the Book of Life of Trilogy.

Now I am reading The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. I also just got Jonothan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke for $1.49 on my kindle.

#140 Chazonator

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

Just finished the first book in the maze runner series and I loved it! Now 1/4 through the second one and it's still hard to put down

#141 cardamom

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

View Postclaptrap, on 04 October 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Then "We are All Completely Beside Ourselves" which I also loved and heartily recommend.

I always enjoy the books you recommend for me so I'm taking this along with me to the boring football game DP has roped me in to seeing with him tonight ;)

I'm also about to start The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, which I've been wanting to read for ages.

#142 Weirdly Sane

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

View Postcardamom, on 25 October 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

I'm also about to start The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, which I've been wanting to read for ages.

I know one is not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I would judge this one by its title - what a great title!

I am glad you like my recommendations :)

#143 ~A2~

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:28 PM

I love this thread, it is the a great way to get a short list of books to read.

Keep them coming girls

Ali

#144 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Still reading for uni. Currently ploughing through Tacitus' The Annals for Roman History. Only two weeks to go this semester then I can go back to non- critical reading for a few months. I think I will start with my annual re-read of All Creatures Great and Small just to clear my brain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.