What Are you Reading ATM #17

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#26 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

The last anniversary byLiane Moriarty. HOOKED!!! Lol need to know what happened

#27 asignatureofthings

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Edited by asignatureofthings, 01 September 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#28 Astrocyte

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

A non-fiction book called Reading in the Brain: the new science of how we read. Also reading a selection of academic research articles about the brains reading systems, reading comprehension, components of reading, reading disabilities and models of reading.

#29 ComradeBob

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Now reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I really like her stuff, particularly the twists and how they all jump in and out of different periods in history to tell the story.

#30 Tyfle Hour

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

The Forgotten Garden is my favourite Kate Morton.  Love her stuff!
I just finished Wolves in Winter by Lisa Hilton, an historical novel set in Medici era Italy,  getting in the mood for an upcoming trip to Florence.  I liked it but didn't love it.

#31 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

I just finished reading 'The Slap' for a book club I'm a part of. I was super unimpressed. I've read a lot of books and not once have I actually wanted to finish a book so it could be over. I always dread finishing books as I enjoy them so much.

I didn't like the language (and am not in any way a prude). Seeing the c-bomb on the first page and continously repeated throughout the book is not what I call good reading. I don't usualy have a problem with the internal monologue that often comes with books, but in this instance I hated it. I found that even the "nice" characters were rude and had horrible thoughts about everyone around them.

I defintely don't think it was an accurate representation of Australians. Alternatively, maybe my friends/family and I are all the exception to the rule... But I think most likely the former is correct.

I finished it in record time and managed to get back to the previous book I was reading Deep Country: Five years in the Welsh hills. Much more enjoyable!

#32 Molondy

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm reading The Elimiation by Rithy Pahn an amazing book about a survivor of the Khmer Rouge rule in Cambodia

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/1590515587

Its fabulous - insightful without being too depressing considering the appalling subject matter. Then the sky is the limit. Here are my options:

The Kills - Richard House
The new  Stephen Donaldson
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt; pr
The Luminaries.

I already have The Kills on my reader so may start it but I"m super excited about Donaldson and Tartt....

Oh and Tim Winton I suppose.

#33 Charlie Alfa Lima

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostPippityRoo, on 29 October 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

I've just started Wool by Hugh Howey.

Is anyone on www.goodreads.com ? I'm 'pippityroo' if anyone wants to add me. It's a great spot to read reviews, find books to read & keep track of your books.

I just finished Shift, book 2 of the Silo series by Hugh Howey.  BAD nightmare last night. As in, wake-sleeping-man-next-to-me-for-a-cuddle, bad.  The book isn't gory or anything, the themes just crept inside my head and planted some seeds!  I loved Wool, and really enjoyed it all the way through.  Didn't get so attached to the characters in Shift, but still a great addition to the world he has created.  The themes are heavier, as with many part two of trilogies, I guess.  I definitely need the closure of reading Dust, but not just yet.  

I think I will take a break and read some fantasy/romance/anything light for a little while - I can get bogged down in dystopian worlds and end up a little fragile I think!

I have used goodreads in the past, but don't really know if I am doing it right?  I tend to forget to add books as I read them, and then wonder why the 'recommended for you' books don't appeal at all!  I am also useless at reviewing them, so just give a rating.  If I remember my login details, you will be my first friend, PippityRoo!  My name will probably have 'Cal' in it somewhere. :smile:

#34 asignatureofthings

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Edited by asignatureofthings, 08 September 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#35 ComradeBob

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Loved, loved loved The Forgotten Garden, now reading The Distant Hours which I found difficult to get into bit a third of the way into the book, it's picking up.

Next, I'm going to read the latest John Lawton book Then We Take Berlin. Love his Troy series, so looking forward to this one.

#36 DoctorDonna

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Ooo, this is my kind of thread! *jumps in*

I'm just starting The Divine Invasion by Philip K. d*ck. Love his blend of philosophy and sci-fi.

Edit: haha forgot that would censor!

Edited by Booklover, 06 November 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#37 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Reading Jasper Jones & enjoying it so far

#38 asignatureofthings

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

Edited by asignatureofthings, 08 September 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#39 Banana Pancakes

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Man made Monster. Its pretty entertaining and has an original story line.

#40 Interrobang

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Just finished Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. Not what I was expecting but it certainly sucked me in. I got into the bath to soak and read a couple of chapters, and didn't get out until the book was done.

Next I am not too sure, thinking of re-reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradbury, since I have the next two in the series on their way from The Book Depository.

#41 two_ones

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostPippityRoo, on 06 November 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

I finished Dust (book 3 of Wool) at around 12:30am last night/this morning, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the whole series!

Am now reading Gillian Boyle's 'Sharp Objects'. Need a break from the dystopian & post apocalyptic genre, I've read so many in the last few weeks.

What did you think of Sharp Objects? I didn't mind it, but I much preferred Gone Girl. I've also read her other one Dark Places... which I hated!

#42 cj82

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hi, recently separated with much more time to read! Would love to

Am reading Tell My Sons, a fathers last letters by lt col Mark Weber. A bit different to what I normally read, basically an autobiography after he finds out he's terminally ill. ( I have an in curable but treatable heart condition so it resonates, I've been thinking of starting a journal for my kids in case I'm not here when they are older).

Also Anita Shreve's new one The Live's Of Stella Bain. Not into in yet, bit disappointed.

Love Paulinna Simmons and about to start Benegrand. Can't wait actually.

#43 Illiterati

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Just finished The Silent Wife by A.S.A Harrison.

Going to restart Wolf Hall.

#44 Empress NG

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

I just finished Behind the Sun by Deborah Challinor about female convicts coming to Australia.  Really good.

Now reading something called The Kabul Beauty School which is a non-fiction account of an American woman called Deborah Rodriguez working to set up an enterprise to provide employment/business opportunities to women in Afghanistan.  An interesting subject but the writing is a bit patchy/superficial which is a pity.

#45 BellO'Nromze

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

Just finished War and Peace. Gah. That's a hundred hours or so of my life that I'll never get back.

About to start The Luminaries!

#46 Charlie Alfa Lima

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

I am 3/4 of the way through The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.  It is like a delightful fairy tale for adults - I highly recommend it!  Too short, though - I want it to last longer.

Does anyone have some really worthwhile fun books for summer?  I read absolutely anything, from fantasy to biographies to horror and chick-lit.

Here is a sample of what's on my e-reader (these are the ones I really enjoyed!):
Big Brother - Lionel Shriver
11/22/63 - Steven King
The Other Side of the Story - Marian Keyes
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
Wool - Hugh Howey
The Secret Keeper - Kate Morton
Wild - Cheryl Strayed

#47 BellO'Nromze

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

ooh pp, I really enjoyed 11/22/63, as well as Under The Dome by Stephen King. Have you read The Stand?

#48 cardamom

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm about halfway through 'Where'd You Go, Bernadette?' by Maria Semple. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Charlie Alfa Lima, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed 'Big Brother'. It's been sitting on my shelf for awhile, think I'll read that next.

#49 Charlie Alfa Lima

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostBell07, on 14 December 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

ooh pp, I really enjoyed 11/22/63, as well as Under The Dome by Stephen King. Have you read The Stand?

Yes - I thought The Stand was a great story!  Both that and 22/11/63 let me down in the last couple of pages, but I enjoyed the stories so much as I was reading them, that I still think of them fondly.

I loved The Long Walk and I read the first few in The Dark Tower series, but didn't really get hooked.

I was thinking of maybe getting Doctor Sleep? but the story of The Shining never appealed to me.  Can anyone convince me it's worth getting for a lazy boxing day afternoon?

#50 Tyfle Hour

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostEmpress NG, on 13 December 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I just finished Behind the Sun by Deborah Challinor about female convicts coming to Australia.  Really good.

Now reading something called The Kabul Beauty School which is a non-fiction account of an American woman called Deborah Rodriguez working to set up an enterprise to provide employment/business opportunities to women in Afghanistan.  An interesting subject but the writing is a bit patchy/superficial which is a pity.
I think she wrote The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul.  I'd say the same about that.  Okay, a bit of an insight to living there, but not a whole lot of substance.  It was fiction, though, so I don't always mind a light read every now and then.

I've been reading Philippa Gregory's YA series, Order of Darkness.  Just finished the 2nd, Stormbringers.  It's okay, but I'm not loving it.  I like reading books set in that time period, but it's slow and there's really only one character that I really like and care about what happens to at this point, so not sure if I'll read on.

I finished the Wool trilogy which I enjoyed. I thought it was losing me around the end of book 1/ start of book 2, but then I could see how it all tied together so it kept my interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.