What Are you Reading ATM #17

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#51 Charlie Alfa Lima

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

View Postcardamom, on 14 December 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

I'm about halfway through 'Where'd You Go, Bernadette?' by Maria Semple. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Charlie Alfa Lima, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed 'Big Brother'. It's been sitting on my shelf for awhile, think I'll read that next.

A gentle warning for you, cardamom:  For a while there, I absolutely DID NOT enjoy Big Brother.  Lionel Shriver writes these characters that are just so hard to like.  This is no exception.  I persevered when my mum told me it would be worth it, and she was right.  You will remember this one long after you finish it.

#52 Elemenopee

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Neil Gaiman's American Gods. It's ok, not really what I expected.

#53 cardamom

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostCharlie Alfa Lima, on 14 December 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

A gentle warning for you, cardamom:  For a while there, I absolutely DID NOT enjoy Big Brother.  Lionel Shriver writes these characters that are just so hard to like.  This is no exception.  I persevered when my mum told me it would be worth it, and she was right.  You will remember this one long after you finish it.

Thanks for the heads up! :) Fortunately I don't mind books with utterly unlikeable characters, I love when a book provokes a really strong response in me or challenges my values/worldview (can be a slog to get through though..)

#54 BellO'Nromze

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

I am about 100 pages into “The Luminaries" by Eleanor Caton...just fantastic! I love it when you are at the start of a great book and you still have lots left to read...

#55 Molondy

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

I've just finished The Luminaries. It's fab but I still have so many questions!!!

#56 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Also reading The Luminaries. Loving it so far

#57 mumtothreeboys

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

The Farmer's Wife by Rachael Treasure.

#58 ~strawberry~

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

I've just started Empress Doweger Cixi by Jung Chang. Loving it so far, very interesting.

#59 cj82

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Bellagrand by Paulinna Simons, it's low at the start. I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it now.

#60 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

View Postmumtothreeboys, on 02 January 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

The Farmer's Wife by Rachael Treasure.

Think I'll try to reserve this at the library next time!

I just started 'Love Anthony' - Lisa Genova - so far loving it.

Edited by lifehacker, 05 January 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#61 IamzFeralz

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Kobo had 85% and 75% and 50% off coupons recently so I went crazy and bought a lot of ebooks that will probably last me for the year.

Currently reading Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman _ an autobiographical account of a woman who went briefly off the tracks when she was young and it all caught up with her 10 years later and she had to go to jail.  Very interesting read!

Also have I am Malala on the boil as well.

#62 Hands Up

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

I have just finished Life after Life. Love Kate Atkinson's books!

#63 cardamom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostHenndigo, on 07 January 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Currently reading Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman _ an autobiographical account of a woman who went briefly off the tracks when she was young and it all caught up with her 10 years later and she had to go to jail.  Very interesting read!

Also have I am Malala on the boil as well.

If you get a chance, check out the TV series of Orange Is The New Black. It's fantastic.

#64 Colleer

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Just finished Feast for Crows (in the Game of Thrones series) . I am having a bit of a break from GOT for a bit and have started "Big Brother" by Lionel Shriver, which I think I am really going to enjoy.

#65 bonnybabe

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

I am reading the newsflesh trilogy - about life after the zombie apocalypse told through the eyes of some bloggers.

Its great.

#66 ComradeBob

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

Rereading Dorothy L Sayers' Gaudy Night. I love the way the landscape and surroundings is always so much a part of her novels.

#67 71Cath

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

I am reading "Sycamore Road" - John Grisham's sequel to "A Time to Kill".  Loving it so far.

#68 Tyfle Hour

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

I haven't been reading much over the break.  Maybe as I have Joyce Carol Oates The Accursed as my next book and I keep putting it off.  It's had mixed reviews and I'm not sure I'm going to like it, so maybe I should just return it to the library and find something else!

I finally read Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book, which I enjoyed, but I still like Caleb's Crossing more.

#69 Molondy

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Currently about 1/2 way through The Final Dark by STeven Donaldson - the final book in the third Thomas Covenant series (10th overall).

So far its easily the best of the current series!

#70 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostAstrocyte, on 14 October 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

The Night Circus. Absolutely loving it.

I'd have to say that I was really disappointed in this book. It started with a bang but just seemed to lose track of itself along the way. Widget and Moppett (or whatever they were called) really irritated me. I have just finished The Book Thief and fail to see what all the fuss is about on that one as well. The story is great but the writing style was too clever for me.

#71 riversong11

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

View PostHappyNewBob!, on 08 October 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I recently read The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillipa Gregory, and hated it. I got a rather sick of "teh ebil witch queen is using ebil spellz on All Mai Family and now they're dead", which seemed to me to be all the fecking book was about. So I decided to go back to the original and still the best - The Sunne In Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman.

I'm enjoying it greatly and thinking that I must read more of her books soon.

I had to force myself to finish The Kingmaker's Daighter. I usually love anything by Phillipa Gregory but this one was terrible. Have you read The Lady of the Rivers? I quite enjoyed that and The White Queen.

I'm currently reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I'm just over half way through it and am really liking it.

#72 cardamom

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

I'm reading The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg (after reading about the author in a fab EB crime fiction thread awhile ago).

I'm really enjoying it, and am deliberately trying to delay finishing it to make it last longer :D

#73 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

View Postcardamom, on 13 January 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

I'm reading The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg (after reading about the author in a fab EB crime fiction thread awhile ago).

I'm really enjoying it, and am deliberately trying to delay finishing it to make it last longer :D

I bought it today! Am taking it away with us on thurs, we have a house on the beach down the coast for a week, looking forward to it. Now I just have to work out how to convince my children to leave me alone in peace so I can read it ...

#74 cardamom

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

View PostLucretia Borgia, on 14 January 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

I bought it today! Am taking it away with us on thurs, we have a house on the beach down the coast for a week, looking forward to it. Now I just have to work out how to convince my children to leave me alone in peace so I can read it ...

Ha, I've just now sat down to read some more when I thought "ooh, will check EB first" and saw your post.

Yay! You'll have to post your thoughts when you've finished it, hope you enjoy it.

#75 Tyfle Hour

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I'm reading The Sisterhood by Helen Bryant. It's not the best writing to be honest, but I'm enjoying it anyway as I like the settings and storyline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.